WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 Point Bonus
- Webull: Earn 2 free stocks of value between $5 - $1,400 when you open a new account and make your first deposit of any amount. Open Your Webull Account Now
Companies like Uber allow anyone to earn extra money in their free time. For many people, driving gigs turn into a great part-time job. The freedom to work when you want is pretty ideal. One newer driving job that pays well is becoming very popular.
Amazon Flex drivers are independent contractors who deliver packages for Amazon.
People all over the country make up to $25 per hour doing this. Like all side hustles, there are pros and cons to the job. Is it a good fit for you? I’ve covered everything you need to know in this Amazon Flex driver review. Read on to learn more.
What Do Amazon Flex Drivers Do?
In 2015, Amazon started offering a unique delivery service for their customers. Amazon Flex hires independent contractors to work as delivery drivers. This service is available throughout the country, and the service areas continue to expand.
As an Amazon Flex driver, you pick up Amazon packages from a warehouse. This warehouse is located in your area. Flex drivers deliver packages for Amazon Prime, Prime Now, Amazon Locker, Amazon Fresh, and more.
Once you have the Amazon packages, you deliver them to customers. You get to choose which days and hours you are available to work.
You are paid per delivery block, which is what Amazon calls each shift. Blocks are usually three to six hours long. When you let Amazon know your availability, you’ll be schedule blocks. You can easily change your availability if you want to pick up more hours on certain days.
Amazon flex drivers use the Amazon flex app to get all of the info they need. This includes alerts before shifts, where to pick up delivery packages, addresses for customers, and so on. The app is also used to view your earnings.
Amazon Flex Driver Pros And Cons
There are lots of reviews and feedback from Amazon Flex drivers. This makes it easy to see what the Flex driver pros and cons are. I’ve made a list of the most popular pros and cons I found. Check them out to get a quick look at what to expect.
I’ll provide more detail on most of these points throughout this post:
- Most Flex drivers list “easy money” as the biggest perk of the job.
- You always get to create your own schedule that suits you 100%.
- You essentially get to be your own boss.
- Amazon guarantees you’ll earn at least $18 per hour.
- Many Flex drivers reported great experiences getting packages from their local Amazon warehouses.
- You get paid by direct deposit every week.
- The flexibility and pay make this gig a great alternative to other part-time jobs.
- Customers can tip you, so there’s potential to make even more money.
- You can earn a lot more around holidays like Christmas due to high customer demand.
- You can work at your own pace.
- The GPS software in the Flex app is very accurate and reliable.
- Many drivers say that the job is organized and efficient.
- You get hourly pay without sitting in an office or traditional work setting.
- The job is easy to understand and you can quickly get into the groove of it.
- You can earn bonuses from Amazon; some drivers report getting $100 Amazon gift cards as bonuses.
- Many Flex drivers say the job is low-pressure since it’s so flexible.
- You are responsible for paying for fuel, tolls, parking fees, and similar costs.
- The Flex app reportedly drains phone batteries pretty quickly.
- Vehicle wear and tear is inevitable as a delivery driver.
- The available hours for you to work can change depending on customer demand.
- You may have competition from other Flex drivers in your area.
- Some drivers say they have issues with Amazon’s logistical support.
- You may be assigned up to 70 packages per block (shift) on busy days.
After doing my research, I really believe the pros outweigh the cons here. Most of the cons listed are common parts of any delivery job or self-employment job. Almost every gig like this will have some competition, and the available hours are bound to change.
If you’re okay with those factors, then you may really like this side job. With such great flexibility, it’s super easy to work whenever you want. The weekly pay and guaranteed hourly wage are very reliable.
You also get a lot of freedom since you’re not stuck indoors all day. This is pretty ideal when it comes to earning extra income.
Amazon Flex Driver Requirements
The Amazon Flex Driver requirements are fairly easy to meet. But first, you need to make sure Amazon Flex is available in your area. You can see a list of over 50 cities here. These are the rest of the Flex driver qualifications:
- You must be 21 years of age or older.
- You must have and provide a Social Security Number.
- You must have a valid driver’s license.
- You must have proof of auto insurance.
- You must pass a background check. Driver reviews report than Amazon checks for felonies and other violations dating back seven years.
- Your phone must be an Android 4.4 or newer or an iPhone 5 or newer.
- Your phone needs 2 GB or higher RAM memory, a camera with flash, GPS location services, and a SIM card.
- You need a four-door midsize sedan or any larger vehicle. If you use a truck for deliveries, it must have an enclosed bed.
- You must provide your tax info and bank info. This is required so that you can get paid weekly through direct deposit.
- You must be available to work four-hour shifts. Each shift is called a block. Driver reviews say that blocks range from two to four hours depending on their location.
If you meet these basic qualifications, you can apply to be a Flex driver. There are a few more details about phone requirements and background checks on the Amazon Flex FAQ page.
Apply To Be An Amazon Flex Driver
The Amazon Flex driver application is pretty simple, too. I’ve outlined the basic steps below:
- Visit the Get Started page.
- Select the region where you want to deliver. If your region isn’t listed, Amazon isn’t currently hiring in your area. You can sign up to receive notifications when hiring is re-opened in your area.
- Answer a few basic questions. You’ll be asked if you’re 21 or older, have a valid driver’s license, and so on.
- Click the Download App link displayed on the final page.
- Follow the instructions listed on this page to finish your application.
That’s all there is to it. You’ll provide all of the necessary details that Amazon needs to perform a background check. Amazon receives the background check results within two to five business days.
You’ll also need to watch a series of training videos through the Amazon Flex app. Pay close attention to these videos. They provide a lot of detail about the job, how to use the app, and instructions for delivering packages.
Once you do this, you can begin scheduling blocks (shifts) to work. You do this on the Calendar and Offers pages of the Amazon Flex app.
How Much Do Amazon Flex Drivers Get Paid?
As you can see, Amazon states that they pay Flex drivers $18 to $25 per hour. This is good to know, but I think it’s still important to look at feedback. I researched earnings reported by Flex drivers and looked for some other facts. This is what I found.
- Over 200 Flex drivers say they earn an average of $18.00 to $21.22 per hour.
- Over 161 Flex drivers say they earn an average of $16.80 to $21.00 per hour.
- Customers have the option to tip Flex drivers up to 48 hours after packages are delivered.
- Flex drivers keep 100% of the tips that they earn.
- A minimum of $18 per hour is guaranteed by Amazon.
- You can track and view all of your earnings with the Amazon Flex driver app.
It’s also important to note that independent contractors pay a self-employment tax of 15.3 percent. That means $18 to $25 per hour is closer to $15.24 to $21.18 per hour after taxes. But don’t let that scare you off.
Before I wrap up this article, I’ll touch on self-employment taxes and how to save money on them.
According to the Flex driver FAQ page, Amazon pays via direct deposit every Tuesday and Friday. Your earnings should be in your bank account within one business day.
So you essentially receive a weekly paycheck. Tracking your earnings with the Flex app will show you how much you’re going to get paid ahead of time.
We also highly recommend using TurboTax to help you file your taxes as a self-employed business owner.
How To Earn More As An Amazon Flex Driver
There are a few things you can do to earn more money as an Amazon Flex driver. These tips come from the hundreds of driver reviews I read. I also included some helpful information about self-employment and taxes.
- Keep a phone charger in your car at all times. The Amazon Flex app is constantly running while you work. Having a backup charger can eliminate a lot of potential problems.
- Buy a phone mount to use while you work. It’s no secret that using your phone while you drive is dangerous. It’s also a time-consuming hassle to constantly grab your phone to check GPS instructions. Phone mounts are inexpensive and help you use the app safely and efficiently.
- Always keep packages organized in your car. Digging around to find packages wastes time and reduces your earnings. Neatly arrange them based on neighborhoods, delivery addresses, and so on.
- Provide good customer service to customers. You may interact with customers if they’re home when you deliver packages. It can be off-putting to see a stranger or unknown car. Politely introduce yourself and let customers know you’re an Amazon Flex driver. Good service can lead to more tips.
- Keep shelf-stable food and water in your car. This job doesn’t come with designated lunch breaks, so it’s crucial to use your time wisely. Having food on hand allows you to stay fueled while you’re on-the-go.
- Learn about peak delivery days and times. Many drivers mention that a lot of shifts are available during inclement weather. If you can drive safely in bad weather, try to pick up extra hours. You may also notice that certain times of day are busier than others. Make a note of any patterns so you can earn as much as possible.
- Pick up shifts forfeited by other drivers. When a Flex driver has to give up their shift, the hours will become available in the app. If you have extra free time, pick up these shifts to earn more money.
- List self-employment deductions when you file your taxes. Deductions can help reimburse your expenses and lower the amount of money you owe. Some examples include the cost of gas, car maintenance, mileage, and more. You can find even more driving-related deductions here.
Overall, Amazon Flex offers a great opportunity to make extra income. Whether you work a few hours or part-time, the hourly pay and flexibility are impressive. You can also mix in other side hustles like this one. Here are a few resources to check out:
- Drive For Uber: Review, Important Info, And Tips
- Drive For Lyft: Everything You Need To Know
- MileUp App Review: Get Rewarded for Sharing Your Driving Data
- 50 Ways To Get Cash Today
These Frugal For Less posts discuss all sorts of ways to make extra money. From work online jobs to getting paid to drive, your options are endless. Read these to find the best options for you.