Many people are familiar with the Atkins Diet as it’s been around since 1972. The different variations of the book “Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution” has sold more than 15 million copies.
Now, why is a dieting program on a site like Frugal for Less? Because I’m going to show you several different ways you can save money with Atkins. But first – please consult your doctor before starting any weight loss or exercise program.
What is the Atkins Program?
The Atkins diet is a low-carb diet, usually recommended for weight loss.
Proponents of this diet claim that you can lose weight while eating as much protein and fat as you want, as long as you avoid foods high in carbs. In the past 12 or so years, over 20 studies have shown that low-carb diets without the need for calorie counting are effective for weight loss and health improvements.
They list foods to avoid such as sugar, grains, vegetable oils, trans fats, and high carb fruit and vegetables, among others. The foods they encourage you to eat include meats, fish and seafood, eggs, full-fat dairy, and nuts & seeds.
The Atkins website offers meal plans, over 1,600 different recipes, carb counters, a “quick start guide”, and a mobile app download. They also have discussion boards and groups you can join to support each other in the weight loss challenge.
Save with a Coupon
Right off the bat, I’m going to give you a coupon for $5 off your next Atkins product.
You simply sign up for their free weight loss kit online and receive $5 off your next Atkins purchase.
Their weight loss kit comes with a mobile app and a number of different diet tools available to help you track your weight loss goals and progress. Signing up gets you access to resources like a list of low carb meals, foods, and recipes designed to help you lose weight fast on the Atkins 20 and Atkins 40 diet.
The Atkins 20 diet is the original diet plan and has four phases. Phase 1: consuming the smallest amount of net carbs, Phases 2 and 3: gradually balancing and expanding your list of acceptable foods, Phase 4: eat at your maximum net carb level while maintaining your weight and lifestyle.
The Atkins 40 diet is an easy low carb diet plan based on portion control and eating 40g net carbs per day. If you have less than 40 pounds to lose, are pregnant or breastfeeding, or want a wider variety of food choices from the first day of your diet, Atkins 40 could be a great fit for you.
Save while Shopping
It may seem hard to save money by eating healthy especially a branded health food such as Atkins, but there are several shopping apps that will give you cash back on these healthy foods.
Here are several of them:
- Ibotta – Get savings on food items recommended on the Atkins plan.
- TopCashBack – Get 10% back on any online Atkins product purchase.
- BeFrugal – Get 13% back on any Atkins purchase over $200.
- BerryCart – Get cash back on organic and low-carb foods.
Look at the pancake recipe below and if you bought all the ingredients from Walmart without any apps or coupons it would cost $42.12, but if you used various shopping apps it would cost $31.56 or less!
If you opt for the Atkins meal kits such as the Evening Meal Chef Kit priced at $89.99, but if you used your new $5 coupon and your BeFrugal app that would only be $73.95, a $16 savings.
Eating healthy doesn’t have to be expensive at all!
Get Health Gains
Working along with the Atkins program helps you to eat healthier for the safest and longest lasting weight loss. They claim that the average person can expect to lose 1-2 lbs. per week, yet results may vary. Of course, everyone’s weight loss is influenced by how much exercise, food consumed and sticking to the diet.
As I mentioned, the Atkins program has 2 choices for weight loss that you can choose depending on your lifestyle and goals. They also list great recipes such as this one for breakfast:
Almond Protein Pancakes with Blueberries
- 2 TB Blanched Almond Flour
- 1 large Egg
- 1 ½ TB Whole Grain Soy Flour
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ oz Large or Small Curd Cottage Cheese
- 2 TB Vanilla Whey Protein
- ¼ Cup Fresh Blueberries
- Combine the almond flour, protein powder, soy flour, and baking powder together. Stir in the beaten egg and cottage cheese until blended.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Lightly grease with butter or canola oil.
- Using about 1/4 Cup per pancake, drop batter onto the skillet. When bubbles begin to form in the middle of each pancake, turn over and cook another 2 minutes or until firm.
- Serve with blueberries (or add blueberries to the pancake batter before cooking).
Recipes are listed for breakfasts, entrees, snacks, desserts, drinks and smoothies, and even gluten-free options. Amazon has a great listing of recipe books and products too.
How is a healthier lifestyle going to save me money? In so many ways! Here are a few examples:
- Buying less snack food – We spend about $746 a year on prepared snacks and junk food.
- Less eating out – We spend about $100 a month on fast food.
- Save on gasoline – Healthier bodies and exercise means we can walk more to places close to us.
- Save on Health costs – A healthier body means fewer trips to the doctor.
Would you be shocked to know that 71.6% of adults over 20 years old are overweight?
There are so many diet fads out there that only concentrate on one type of food, losing weight quickly, and other ideas that can be potentially harmful to your health attempting them. I trust the Atkins program for its simplicity, it’s choices and it’s been around since 1972 which tells you something about its success doesn’t it?
Again, please consult your doctor before starting any weight loss program and download your $5 coupon and get started on your healthy lifestyle journey.