WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 point bonus
- Vindale Research: One of the best survey sites on the web. Earn up to $50 per survey. Join Vindale Research Now & Get a $1 Bonus
Starkist Tuna is well-known to many Americans, and personally makes up the majority of tunafish bought in my household. If you bought any within the past 6 years, you’re eligible for a free $25 check from them. Read below to find out why and how to claim your cash.
Why Does Starkist Owe Me $25?
A class action lawsuit was filed against Starkist Tuna last year in the case Hendricks v. StarKist Co. Judges ruled that all US residents who purchased a can of tuna with the Starkist label from February 19th, 2009 all the way until October 31st, 2014 are eligible to receive a free $25 check or a $50 voucher for Starkist products in the mail. No proof of purchase necessary to claim this money.
While you don’t need to show a receipt displaying your purchase, it’s best to be honest about your claim. Here are the current products that qualify for a refund:
- 5 oz. Chunk Light in Water
- 5 oz. Solid White in Water
- 5 oz. Solid White in Oil
- 5 oz. Chunk Light in Oil
The only can that is not included in this settlement is Chunk White in Water.
The reason for the lawsuit is because federal law requires 5-ounce cans of tuna to contain 2.84 – 3.23 ounces of tuna to be considered an eligible product to sell on the market. However, claims were made that on average 5-ounce cans of Starkist tuna only carried 2.81 – 3.11 ounces of tuna. Starkist of course denies this, but agreed to settle in order to avoid fees associated with a trail. They are giving out $8,000,000 in cash and $4,000,000 in vouchers to Starkist products.
How Do I Claim My Money?
Claiming your $25 check or your $50 Starkist voucher is simple and can be done in 3 steps.
1. File a claim. Make sure you purchased an eligible Starkist product purchased anywhere from 2/19/2009 – 10/31/2014. Click this form here to file your claim. If you don’t know your claim number, just select that you don’t know it.
2. Choose award selection. Select which products you purchased within that timeframe from Starkist, fill out your address, and select between a $50 voucher to Starkist products or a check for $25.
3. Wait for your cash. It can take up for one full year for your check to arrive in the mail. Even though this may seem like a long time, you’re going to be surprised yet very happy when you receive it.
This lawsuit applies to a lot of US residents since Starkist is a very popular tuna brand. If you want a quick way to find out which current class action lawsuits are going on and how to earn some extra cash, we recommend checking out Cash Action Rebates, a web-based company that lists out all class action lawsuits currently going on.
If you have any questions or would like to share your opinion regarding Starkist Tuna, spark up a conversation below. Thanks for reading and happy frugaling!