WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 Point Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
Gas is on the rise and it’s only going to get more and more expensive. Yet by using a few simple tricks you can quickly reduce that amount without doing a lot of work. We’re going to discuss how to reduce your fuel cost by 8% at every Chevron station in 5 steps.
1. Get A Cash Back Credit Card
You may be thinking that you want a cash back credit card that saves you money on gas, but for our purposes we’re going to need one that works specifically on all purchases (which you’ll see why later on in this post).
The card that we recommend and suggest for most of our posts is the Citi Double Cash Card. This card gives you 2% cash back on all purchases, no matter what the category. There’s no cap on the amount of cash back that can be earned with no annual fee. Here’s a quick glance at what the card has to offer:
- 2% cash back on all purchases, 1% when you purchase and 1% when you pay your bill
- No cap to cash back received
- First late payment waived without charge
- No annual fee
- Can redeem cash back after gaining $25 dollars
If you’re not a fan of Citi or want to try a different card, you can check our comparison of this Citi Card with the Fidelity American Express Card. They both give you 2% in cash back on all purchases.
So far we’ve gotten 2% cash back on our purchase. Let’s see how to get the remaining 6%.
2. Use A Cash Back Portal
Online shopping portals are a great way to save money on all online purchases. These portals are websites that have partnered with major online retailers such as Amazon, Walmart, etc. When you make a purchase through one of their affiliate links they earn commission.
Part of this money then goes to you, the user, into your portal account. After you earn a specific amount of money in your cash back account, you can withdraw the money to your PayPal or bank account.
There’s no cost to sign-up, and it’s always a good idea to check how much cash back you can get before each online purchase. If you’re still confused, you can read my guide on how online shopping portals work.
The cash back portal we’re going to be using for this purchase is TopCashBack. To sign-up, click this link here. You’ll be asked to enter in some personal information such as your name and email.
From there, confirm your email and you’re account is ready to use. Continue to the next step to figure out how to use TopCashBack to gain an extra 2% off all purchases.
3. Use TopCashBack To Search For Raise
Notice that on every gift card you buy through Raise will get you an extra 2% in cash back deposited into your portal account.
To continue, click on the “Cashback” button and you’ll automatically be directed to the Raise website. This is where we’re going to make our final step.
4. Make A Purchase Through Raise
Once you get redirected to the Raise website, go ahead and click on the sign-up button in the upper-right-hand corner of the page to create a Raise account.
After your account is created search for “Chevron” in the search bar. You should see a listing of Chevron gift cards for 4% off of their value. Currently, Raise only has them in denominations of $100.
Click on “Buy Now” and go through the checkout process. Just remember to use your Citi Double Cash Card so you can get an extra 2% off of your purchase.
Raise is a high-rated gift card reseller and will never scam you out of your money. They have a 100-day money back guarantee if you don’t receive your gift card or receive the wrong amount. Check out why Raise is almost always the best place to buy gift cards.
If you’re buying an egift card, you’ll receive it within 24 hours. A physical gift card can take anywhere from 3-14 days to get to your address. When you get your gift card, use it at the pump instead of your normal purchase method.
5. Calculate Your Savings
Now that we have our gift card in hand, let’s go through a quick summary of how much we’ve saved:
- 2% in cash back from going through the TopCashback portal
- 4% when buying a discounted Chevron gift card on Raise
- 2% by using our Citi Double Cash Card during checkout on Raise.
This brings our total savings to 8%!
You should never have to spend 100% on gas. It’s only going to get more and more expensive, and little steps along the way can help you create a small nest egg. If you spend $300 dollars a month on gas, that’s an extra $24 dollars a month in savings. This is enough to buy an extra 3-4 meals.
If you have any other ideas on how to save at Chevron stations, please let us know in the comments below or ask us some questions. We’re always here to help. Thanks for reading and happy frugaling!