WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Vindale Research: One of the best survey sites on the web. Earn up to $50 per survey. Join Vindale Research Now & Get a $1 Bonus
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- Ibotta: Earn cash back when you take pictures of receipts and shop online. Get a $10 bonus when you sign-up using our link and claim your first offer. Join Ibotta Now to Get $10
Decluttr is a great way to clear out those old electronics, CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays while getting paid at the same time. Simply type in your item to get a price, send them in and get paid in cash. Registration is completely free.
What Is Decluttr?
Decluttr is a website that helps people get rid of their unwanted junk from their homes. Instead of throwing it out and not receiving a dime for the stuff you’ve already pay for, Decluttr will give you cash in exchange.
In short, it’s a way to sell your CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays and electronics in a quick and easy manner.
As long as the items are in decent shape and still maintain their original functionality, Decluttr will accept them and pay you for them. The amount they pay you depends on the particular item. You also get a $10 bonus when you register and sell your first item.
Enter in the barcode of an item or enter in the name of the product in their Valuation Engine for a quote. If you’re content with the price they’re willing to pay for it, pack the item in a box and send it to them. They send you a prepaid shipping label, so you won’t have to spend a cent on shipping.
There’s no need to worry about waiting for your payment either. As soon as Decluttr receives your package, they’ll pay you either by check or direct deposit the next day. For those of you who fee like giving, there’s even the option of donating to charity.
Keep in mind that if you request to receive a check, however, it may take a few business days to arrive in your mailbox.
What Kind Of Products Can I Sell?
Decluttr will accept pretty much anything that can be used for electronic media or any piece of electronic equipment. Here are a few examples:
- Mobile phones
- Game consoles
- Video games
If you’re uncertain as to whether Decluttr will accept your item, you can use their extensive dropdown menu and search. Select a category and a brand. You’ll be presented with a list of products that are available for resale as you can see in the image below.
How Much Can I Expect To Get Paid?
The amount you receive per item depends on the quality shape it’s in. There are 3 levels in which you can classify your used electronics:
- Good – For electronics, all of the buttons work, there’s no damage to the screen, can turn on and off, all functions work properly, and it comes with minimal wear and tear.
- Poor – Comes with heavy wear and tear. Your electronic might have have damaged casing or be missing a battery or back cover.
- Faulty – Your electronic device doesn’t turn on properly. Maybe there are damaged ports or it has a screen that’s no longer functional.
Each time you go to sell an item, Decluttr will give you specific guidelines to follow in order to evaluate your product’s condition. The price difference between each level drops quite dramatically.
We tested an unlocked iPhone 4s at 8 GB. We could sell it in good condition for $25, but dropped to $12.50 for poor condition and $2.50 for faulty condition.
The conditions above don’t really apply to CDs or any other media items. As long as they function properly, you’re going to get the quoted price. For these types of items you will have to enter in the barcode of the product.
If it turns out that the item doesn’t work on arrival, Decluttr will contact you and either send it back to you or keep it if you’re willing.
How Does It Compare With Amazon Trade-In?
We decided to test if Decluttr was really worth it by seeing how much we can sell our old electronics for.
We took 3 random items in different categories and compared how much we could resell them for on Amazon Trade-In and how much we could resell them for on Decluttr. The one difference is that Decluttr pays in cash while Amazon pays in gift cards.
Product #1: Unlocked iPhone 4s (8 GB)
- Amazon Trade-In: $24.08 (Good condition)
- Decluttr Trade-In: $25.00 (Good condition)
It was difficult to find an exact product comparison with for an unlocked iPhone 4s (8 GB). The reason being is because we could only find a 16 GB iPhone 4s price on Amazon. Even though the cell phone had a higher storage capacity on Amazon, Decluttr still offered a higher price.
This is assuming that the iPhone you’re selling is in good condition. Amazon only accepts two conditions: acceptable and not working. For the not working condition, you’re going to get paid $5.25 from Amazon.
The winner? Most of the time it’s going to be Decluttr. If you’re iPhone is completely damaged and not working at all, only then would we suggest Amazon.
Product #2: Nintendo DS Original
- Amazon Trade-In: $10.10 (Good condition)
- Decluttr Trade-In: $11.00 (Good condition)
This time we took an original Nintendo DS to compare. Assuming that it’s in good condition, Decluttr is the clear winner. Yet it really depends on the condition and the type. Amazon had the option between the titanium and the electric blue color DS.
The titanium version was selling at $11 for “Like New” condition on Amazon, but dropped to $10.10 for good, which is what we used for comparison.
However, when we looked at the electric blue on Amazon, it would only go for $3.52 in “Like New” condition, a huge difference from the Decluttr $11 price tag.
If your Nintendo DS is at “poor” quality or lower, we do suggest going with Amazon in this case if you have the titanium version. Decluttr will only offer you up to $6 whereas Amazon will offer you $8 USD. Yet if you have the electric blue model, Decluttr is going to win.
The winner? We’re going to again have to go with Decluttr. The time in which you might want to use Amazon is if you have the titanium-colored Nintendo DS and it’s at poor or worse condition. For all other cases, the offer on Amazon is most likely going to be lower.
Product #3: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Wi-Fi + 3G
- Amazon Trade-In: $35 (Working condition)
- Decluttr Trade-In: $25 (Good condition)
We thought that since Amazon is the creator of Kindle products that they would win with the Paperwhite. It turns out that our assumption was correct. As long as the Paperwhite is in working condition, Amazon will pay you a much higher price.
It’s only when the Paperwhite is in “poor” condition that Decluttr comes out on top. Amazon will only give you $5 whereas Decluttr will give you $12.50, but drop to “faulty” and you’re only going to get $2.50.
The winner? It’s clearly Amazon unless your Paperwhite happens to be exactly at the “poor” condition level.
While Decluttr came out as the winner in the majority of the cases, we don’t want to rule Amazon out. They still make decent competition with their Trade-In Program. If you’re looking to get the highest price, then you’re going to have to compare each time between the two websites.
The one important difference is that Decluttr pays out immediately and they pay in cash. Amazon can take a few business days to process the trade-in, and unfortunately they’re only going to pay you in Amazon Gift Cards.
How Do I Get Started With Decluttr?
Registration with Decluttr is quite simple, but there are a few things we want to point out. We break it down in 6 simple steps.
1. Register. You can register for a new Decluttr account by clicking this link here. Registration is completely free, and you only need to complete one form and verify your email address.
You can also download their free app for both iOS and Android devices. You also get a $10 bonus when you start selling.
2. Search for your item. Select to sell either electronics, cell phones or old media by using the menu items in the navigation bar once you’re logged in. Enter in the barcode of the item or use their dropdown menu to select an item from the list.
3. Get a quote. Select the condition of your electronic device or media. Please read the instructions very carefully. On this iPhone on the image below, there are certain criteria that need to be met. You must also remove your iCloud account before selling it.
They guarantee that they’re going to pay you the full amount for your electronic device, and if they don’t they’ll send it back to you absolutely free at no cost.
If you agree with the price and the terms, add the item to your basket. You can send back multiple items in one box if desired.
4. Choose your payment method. Choose between receiving a check, a direct deposit to your bank account or donating to charity. If choosing to receive a check, it may take a few days before it arrives at your door. Just be sure that your address on file is correct.
5. Get your free shipping label. Decluttr will send you a prepaid shipping label so you don’t have to pay a cent for sending it to them. Send in your order and receive your payment shortly after they receive your used item.
6. Refer friends. Wand to earn even more cash with Decluttr? After you sell your first item you’ll receive a referral code. Each time you refer a friend you get $10 in your account, and your friend also receives a $10 bonus when they use your code.
For those of you with websites or blogs, you can sign-up for their affiliate program and receive a commission on each sale.
You can only refer up to 10 friends, meaning you can make up to a maximum of $100 on referrals. If you’d like to post your referral link, feel free to do so in the comments down below – we don’t mind!
The best part about Decluttr is that it’s a quick and easy way to clear out your home. I was able to get through the checkout process in under 2 minutes after signing-up.
After selecting a few random items, it turns out that Decluttr gives out more cash than Amazon’s Trade-In Program. However, we still recommend checking for both for the best price.
Have you used Decluttr before? Let us know about your experience in the comments below, and don’t hesitate to leave your referral code. Thanks for reading and happy selling!