WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 Point Bonus
- Webull: Earn 2 free stocks of value between $5 - $1,400 when you open a new account and make your first deposit of any amount. Open Your Webull Account Now
Stocking up a home medicine cabinet may seem like an important and unavoidable life expense. Many over the counter medications used everyday and a population that is growing in opioid dependency the price can become quickly crippling.
Turning to natural homemade solutions can not only decrease the amount of unwanted side effects.
The Facts About Medications
Americans consume more medications a year than any other country in the world. Our dependency on these sometimes harsh drugs is not good. We are seeing more and more research done about antibiotic resistant bacteria that can lead to serious issues.
The truth is, this is a largely unneeded expense. There is lots of scientific research behind using natural solutions to cure many of lifes health related problems. You don’t always need to turn to over the counter, or even prescription medication.
Understanding Your Ingredients
There are many natural ingredients that have the same effect – sometimes even stronger – than their man made alternatives. With that being said it is important to know your ingredients and what they are good for.
Understanding your herbs before you make your mix will help make it so that you can have the most powerful healing remedy.
The ingredients we are going to use are completely natural. Instead of using harsh chemicals and pills you can get the same effect from natural remedies.
The great part is that these ingredients work to make a lot of remedies. So instead of buying a different product for each thing you are trying to treat you can make one purchase for all of them.
There are a few main remedies that are easy to make and can effortlessly replace some of the many costly everyday medications you use.
These natural supplements can work out much cheaper, especially when the herbs are grown from home. These everyday items will not only leave you healthier but also work to keep your bank account happy.
Here’s a list of 6 DIY home remedies you can make from home.
1. Natural Antibiotics
Antibiotics are one of the most commonly prescribed medications and quite often the most overused. Harsh antibiotics can wreak havoc on your digestive system as well as your wallet.
They are meant to kill the bad bacteria in your body. But the good bacteria is also destroyed at the same time. There are natural alternatives to these drugs.
This natural herb is has a high source of vitamin A, vitamin C, Manganese, vitamin K and Iron. It has been said to be immune boosting which allows you to fight off colds and infections fast. It is also a known antibacterial that contains antioxidants.
There are many ways to use oregano including adding it to your tea! If you get the more refined essential oil you can add a drop to a glass of water.
It’s important to note that it is especially powerful against infections so use it sparingly internally for even serious infections like strep throat.
This is another great way for fighting infections. It has antifungal properties that make it great for fighting candida infections and restore balance in gut.
If you’re currently taking prescription antibiotics you can use this remedy to restore the good bacteria in your digestive system.
Thyme is also a powerful antiseptic and disinfectant. It can be used to break up mucus, fight colds, coughs and even fevers. If you have headaches thyme could give you similar relief as over the counter medication.
Rosemary is a great home remedy all by itself. It can help to stimulate your immune system and promote digestion. Have this in your medicine cabinet as a great remedy for coughs and colds as well as a wash for mouth gums and sore throats.
Ginger is an ingredient that helps to strengthen the benefits of other herbs. It is a natural pain killer which is used for headaches and even drain lymph system when fighting a cold.
It’s also a great natural remedy to fight nausea. You can make this into a tea or add a drop of essential oil to your water bottle.
It is also high in vit C, B6, Potassium, Magnesium and manganese. Ginger is one of those ingredients that is an all around amazing superfoods. It’s a great option for pain and nausea.
Garlic is a great ingredient to not only use for cooking with but also as a part of your home remedy arsenal. It has been used for centuries by people to help with everything from poor digestion, fatigue and even respiratory issues.
Today garlic has been proven to help with fighting types of cancer including prostate, breast, stomach and colon. Recent studies have also been shown to be more effective than two of the most popular antibiotics.
It may not seem like it but honey has been used since ancient times as medicine. Not only does it act as an antibiotic but it can also sooth your sore throat. Honey has properties that make it antimicrobial.
When applied to wounds honey has been shown to speed up recovery and fight off infection. In fact honey is one of the best ways to heal burn victims.
When ingested honey can kill off harmful bacteria that cause sore throats and even aid in digestion as it has anti inflammatory properties as well.
- Combine all herbs in equal parts in one large jar being sure to not fill more than half way.
- Fill the jar the rest of the way with vodka
- Secure the lid and store in a room temperature dark environment for 6 weeks
- Shake the jar 1-2 times a day for 6 weeks to mix the ingredients
- After 6 weeks strain into a clean dropper bottle
2. Herbal Cough Drops
Do you get regular colds that include a cough? With this home remedy you will no longer have to run to the drug store for cough drops. These remedies also do not contain any of the sugar you’ll find in the ingredient list of your favorite cough drops.
Peppermint is a common cure all from everything to an upset stomach to a headache. When you are sick there is nothing more soothing than a nice glass of tea.
Peppermint tea not only tastes great but it also fights the common cold and flu. It does this by killing bacteria and virus. You will notice that it also has a numbing effect on sore throats and even dulls the pain of your aching body.
The active ingredient of methanol in the tea works to thin mucus and breaks up phlegm. This is the same as over the counter decongestants found in your local pharmacy. If you’re looking for relief from your cough and congestion have a nice hot glass of peppermint tea.
This is one of the most widely used herb and dates back to ancient times. The active ingredient of chamomile is called bisabolol. It is one of the most hardest working ingredients.
It has anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial properties that work to heal you. Furthermore, it has also been said to fight anxiety, cancer and even diarrhea.
This is another great tea. Chamomile contains immune boosting and antibacterial properties that can help you quickly get over your sickness.
To make this into a tea all you need are some dried chamomile flowers and hot water. Simply add 1 teaspoon to a cup of hot water. Steep it (let the flowers sit in the water) for as long as you like. Strain the water and add honey for sweetness.
Chamomile can do everything from fight sleep issues to relieve headaches, and even ease muscle pain and spasms. This is one of the most powerful home remedies out there.
It can come in many different forms. We have already mentioned tea, you can also get chamomile essential oil. It can be used through a diffuser bracelet or applied directly to the skin.
This is a herb that you should take on a regular basis. Not because it is required but because of the healing properties associated with cinnamon.
This is an amazing herb. It has been proven effective against arthritis, bladder infections, reduces cholesterol, fights colds and even helps to lose weight (to name just a few).
It contains anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties that help to alleviate pain and upset stomachs. This even includes skin infections.
If you suffer from psoriasis or eczema mix honey and cinnamon powder to the areas for relief. As an added bonus cinnamon has even been shown to aid in weight loss.
This is one of the most powerful and widely used home remedies. Ginger dates back to the Roman Empire where it was traded and highly regarded.
Its active ingredient (gingerol) is an anti-inflammatory and natural pain killer. Ginger may be best known for it’s anti nausea effects. There have been studies that have shown it to also combat stroke and heart disease.
Ginger has also been shown to help with bacterial infections. It does this by increasing your immune system which helps you to fight off colds. Ginger has also been shown to actually outperform antibiotics.
- 1 tbsp peppermint tea leaves (or 1 tea bag)
- 1 tbsp chamomile tea leaves (or 1 tea bag)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¾ cup boiling water
- ¾ cup honey
- *Optional: Add your favorite essential oils such as peppermint*
- Steep peppermint, chamomile, cinnamon and ginger in boiling water for 10 minutes
- Strain off water and pour into a small saucepan
- Add honey
- Heat over medium heat until boil
- Clip a thermometer to the side of saucepan
- Continue boiling until 300 degrees (be careful to not burn: Stir constantly)
- Allow mixture to cool for 5-10 minutes
- Allow the syrup to cool until just barely cool enough to touch and then hand roll into your desired shape, or simply spoon the liquid onto parchment paper and allow to cool
- Dust with cornstarch, potato starch, tapioca starch or slippery elm bark to prevent them from sticking together when storing.
- Allow to cool completely and store in airtight container.
* Try making them into a lollipop mold which is great for kids.
3. Air Purifying Spray
Being able to disinfect your home during and after you are sick will go a long way of preventing you from getting sick in the future.
You don’t need to wipe your counters and phone with store bought wipes that contain chemicals or use sprays to clean the air. Instead you can use a natural solution that you can make yourself.
Not only will this clean your home and not leave harmful chemicals it will make your home smell great while saving you money. Essential oils are a refined product so you only need to use a small amount for great effects.
- 48 drops Sweet orange essential oil
- 48 drops Lemon essential oil
- 40 drops clove bud essential oil
- 2 oz vodka
- 2 oz distilled water
- 4 ounce spray bottle
- Mix vodka and distilled water into a measuring cup with a spout
- Add all essential oils to mix
- Use to purify air and disinfect surfaces
4. Echinacea Tincture
Echinacea is a powerful cold fighting tool that can treat everything from colds to respiratory infections and even cuts and wounds. This has been used for years by people as medicine.
By taking echinacea when you first feel the symptoms of a cold you can slow or even top the cold from developing. If you are already sick taking this home remedy can ease the severity of the symptoms and help you to get better faster.
The active ingredients have been shown to decrease inflammation and increase your body’s immune system and even fight cancer.
- Dried Echinacea
- Glycerin (ex. vodka)
- Large canning jar
- Fill jar ⅓ of the way with dried echinacea
- Pour glycerin or vodka over the herbs until full.
- Place lid on jar and leave for 3 weeks shaking daily
- After 3 weeks strain the herbs and enjoy the healing remedies of this tincture.
5. Vapor Rub
When you get sick your nose is usually plugged. One way of combatting this is to make a vapor rub to put on your chest. Over the counter vapor rubs have harmful chemicals and can even contain petroleum products.
This is a simple remedy to combat colds without harmful chemicals. Vapor rubs can help unclog your nasal passages, act as a decongestant and even help alleviate pain.
You can rest assured that this is a 100% natural home remedy that contains only natural ingredients.
- ½ cup coconut or almond oil
- 2 tablespoons beeswax pastilles
- 20 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 10 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 10 drops Cinnamon Essential Oil
- Melt beeswax in oil. Use a bowl on top of a pot of boiling water.
- Add essential oils
- Stir until mixed.
- Pour into a container you will store the rub in.
This is just one of many recipes to make vapor rubs. You can substitute the combination of essential oils to your favorite. If you are going to use this rub on children you will have to dilute the solution, for example only use 4 drops of your oils.
6. Eczema Cream
While eczema is largely associated with dietary setbacks there are creams that can be used to help treat this condition as well.
This is an all-natural and highly effective moisturizing cream that will help to relieve pain and itching associated with eczema as well as treat the appearance of the rash.
This blend of ingredients is so powerful as you use only the top most potent and helpful ingredients. The honey in this blend helps to numb the area giving you pain relief as well as reduce inflammation.
Raw shea butter is a natural source of vitamin A which helps to reduce inflammation and is a key component in healing a number of different skin conditions. The lavender essential oil works to calm the skin and reduce redness and heals the dry raw skin.
- ½ cup raw unrefined organic shea butter
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 30 drops lavender essential oil
- 8 drops tea tree essential oil
- Optional: ¼ c olive or almond oil
- Optional: 5 drops geranium essential oil
- Using a double boiling system, melt the shea butter and coconut oil until they combine.
- Add honey to boiling mixture stirring constantly until they all combine
- Add lavender and tea tree essential oils and stir until it is evenly distributed
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly without getting hard.
- Once slightly cooled use a mixer to blend for a couple of minutes until you create a desirable frothy texture. This may need to be remixed every 10 minutes for the first little bit.
- Add mixture to a sealed mason jar and store at room temperature.
Making Home Remedies
Having a great understanding of the different components that make up your brew will help to ensure that you have the most success in your home remedy.
Not only will this help to ensure that your mixtures are more effective but it will help you to ensure that your house is stocked with the right natural products.
One of the best parts of creating your own home remedies is the ability to control what goes into your mixtures. This allows you the ability to ensure that only the highest quality ingredients go into your body.
The truth is there are many potent natural substances that help to keep your body strong and healthy. With the knowledge of these products and their powerful curing properties there is little to no need for expensive pharmaceuticals.
The cost savings behind making your own remedies go far beyond the initial cost of medicine. Most pharmaceutical medicines come with a long list of side effects and can actually be more harmful than helpful.
This can at times leave your chronic conditions unsolved and lead you to seek further medical help to control your side effects and ongoing symptoms. Turning to natural solutions is much less risky leaving you in better health.
See a DIY home remedy that’s not on this list and should be? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy frugaling!