In the world of smartphones, there are now hundreds of ways that you can use apps to earn and save cash. Here we’re going to look at Receipt Hog, an app that pays you money for simply saving your grocery receipts.
What is Receipt Hog?
Receipt Hog (referral code zuss1319 for 5 free spins) is a rewards system that awards you points for uploading grocery receipts to their app. All Receipt Hog members are essentially members of an exclusive market research panel.
Receipt Hog gathers this market data and sell it to retailers. This information has the power to influence promotions, products and brands that retailers offer.
Receipt Hog uses a mobile app that makes it really simple for you you to submit either long or short receipts, and then digitally stores all receipts that are uploaded into your account.
What Can I Earn?
This is the most important question on why you would want to actually use Receipt Hog. Each time a receipt is uploaded, you are awarded 10 – 20 coins depending on the total listed on the receipt.
The more you buy, the coins points you earn. Currently, the minimum payout available is 1000 coins for $5.00 via Paypal, which means that on average you’d have to submit a receipt roughly 65 times in order to be eligible for that first payout.
However, the more you save, the more value you can get for your coins. The best offer is 4500 coins for $30.00 (which would normally take 6000 coins to reach otherwise).
Assuming that each receipt takes about 30 seconds to load, you’re looking at roughly making $12 an hour by submitting a receipt if you save up for the $30 payout.
This is actually not bad, considering that there are no taxes claimed on your pay (assuming you don’t redeem more than $600 in a calendar year. Otherwise you must report it on your income taxes).
One other option that Receipt Hog offers is a mini slot machine game that awards you more coins. These “spins” are given out at random times each time you submit your receipt and can make the app a lot more enjoyable.
If you don’t wish to redeem your points for cash via Paypal, you can always receive gift cards to Amazon for well. The point system works the same, with 1000 coins for $5 and 4500 coins for $30 at Amazon.
How Does It Work?
Here are the 6 simple steps that you need to take in order to use Receipt Hog today.
1. Click here to download the ReceiptHog app to your phone. Once you have the app downloaded, enter an email in order to have a password sent to you. By entering the referral code zuss1319 you get 5 free spins and support Frugal For Less.
2. Once you receive your password, log-in to the app. Click on the “Camera” tab at the bottom in order to snap your receipt from any grocery store. If your receipt is extra long, don’t worry. Receipt Hog will guide you on how to take pictures of extra long receipts.
3. Wait for your receipt to process. Once it processes, you will receive 10 – 20 coins and a minimum of one spin. Receipt Hog also chooses the “Receipt of the Day” in which they randomly award one winner with thousands of coins.
4. Once your receipt is verified, click on the “Rewards” tab at the bottom. Next, hit the green tab at the top that says “Redeem Prizes.” From there you’ll be able to request a payout to Amazon or Paypal.
5. Use the spins you received from using my referral code and from uploading your receipt to get some extra coins. During the slot machine game you can win up to $100! However, the most I’ve ever gotten is 20 coins.
6. Sometimes there will be surveys or other various tasks that Receipt Hog will ask of you in order to earn spins or coins. One of the quickest and easiest ways is to refer a friend! Each time you refer a friend, your friend gets 5 spins and you get 10 spins for free!
Given the fact that it takes less than 30 seconds to upload a receipt to your phone, Receipt Hog can be a quick and fun way to add some rewards to your shopping.
If you have any further questions about using Receipt Hog or would like to let everyone know about your experience with the app, feel free to do so in the comments below. Thanks for reading.