Want to Earn Some Extra Money?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short time. Join LifePoints Now For a 10 Point Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
What is Google Screenwise Trends Panel?
*Note: Google Screenwise Trends has been renamed Cross Media Panel. You can read our our review of this program here.*
If you don’t mind allowing Google to keep track of your every move and click on the web, you can get paid some extra cash for simply browsing the web.
Google has created the Screenwise Trends Panel, which simply put is a marketing research program designed to track internet usage of “everyday people.”
Google will use the information they gather to gain more insight on topics such what apps are currently being used, what sites are popular and during what times of the day people browse the Internet. Their goal is to improve Google products and create a better online and mobile experience for the average web-user.
It’s now easier than ever to become part of their research project, earning yourself a few extra dollars.
While the potential income isn’t very high, it’s passive income in your pocket, meaning you don’t have to do anything that you wouldn’t normally do to earn it.
What Do I Have To Do To Become Involved?
Becoming part of the Screenwise Trends Panel is a very simple process, and we’ve broken it down into 8 steps.
1. First install Google Chrome. Google will only track internet usage from this browser.
2. Go to www.screenwisetrends.com and click on the big, green “Get Started” button.
3. You will be asked to sign-in to your Google account and turn on your Google Web History.4. The next step will lead you to install the Screenwise Trends Panel Chrome extension. This shouldn’t take more than a couple of seconds.
5. When your extension is installed, remember to use Chrome as your primary browser. You must sign into Chrome each time in order to participate in the study. Google has the option of remembering your user name and password, so you usually don’t have to worry about this.
6. After installation, there will be a new button in the top right corner of the Chrome browser. Make sure to click on the button and activate the Screenwise Panel.
7. Make sure that Chrome is installed on your mobile device. Follow the instructions for either an iphone or an Android. If you are using an iphone, you will be asked to install Chrome and Google Search. If you’re using an Android, you will be asked to install Chrome and the Screenwise Panel app.8. Click finish and you’re all signed-up!
Note: Make sure to sign-out of your account each time someone else is using your device. If you don’t, Google will believe that any surfing done by the other person will be you.
Who is This Not For?
Here is a small sample of all of the data that is collected. Please keep in mind that this information may change at any time and does not include the entirety of information gathered from using Screenwise Trends Panel.
- All URL addresses that you access from any website containing HTTP or HTTPS
- Information you input when visiting a site
- Google Account information. This includes cookies and data collected from the use of Google products and services
- Search terms within URL addresses. This may include “personally identifiable information”
- Cookies laced on the device or browser of a Panelist.
- Your current operating system and browser being used.
- Panelist IDs, age, gender, household location and responses to any consumer surveys
- Frequency of phone usage and applications used on the phone
- The list goes on and on.
There are probably at least 30 other pieces of data that I did not add to this list. Make sure that you are okay with giving this information away before you participate in their research.
What Are the Potential Rewards?
In order to thank you for your contribution in their research program, Google will award panelists in three ways:
- Upon registration
- Loyalty Incentives (browsing the internet)
- Answering surveys on a range of topics
Rewards are given in the forms of gift cards to places such as Expedia, Barnes & Noble, Walmart and more.
From personal experience and from what I’ve heard, the average is around $5 – $15 per month depending on the user. While it’s not a lot of money, you are getting paid in passive income for essentially doing nothing.
You will be able to accept your reward once your account has a balance of $25.
Depending on your threshold to give away your internet privacy, Google Screenwise Trends Panel can earn you some extra dollars in passive income.
So far I have generated about $12 in the first three weeks, and continue to keep earning. I personally don’t mind if Google watches me play games online all day.
Do feel that Google should be allowed to watch your every move on the Internet? Leave your response in the comments below. Thanks for reading!
My name is Jason Wuerch and I'm currently located in Madrid, Spain running a personal finance blog called Frugal For Less. My goal is to help everyone and anyone willing to make and save money through easy and simple ways that don't require much effort. Just because you're frugal doesn't mean you have to give up life's luxuries.