WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 Point Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
500MB of 4G data, 200 minutes and 500 texts per month – what if you could get this for free without any contract? With no commitment and the option to cancel at any time, FreedomPop works to provide free mobile services to everyone.
Verizon Wireless found that their customers were spending an average of $148/month on their cellphone bill in the last quarter of 2014. There’s no need to pay this outrageous amount since FreedomPop offers you the coverage you need without spending a dime.
The fact of the matter is that very few 4G mobile broadband providers give away a free internet package. And out of all of the ones that do, FreedomPop is is by far the most generous.
Read our FreedomPop reviews to find out how you can benefit most and take advantage of this free cell-phone provider. We cover in detail what you get, how great the service is and discuss who this plan is for and who it’s not for.
What Is FreedomPop And Is It A Scam?
Many people consider FreedomPop to be a scam due to the fact that it’s giving away something for free that no one else does. However, this couldn’t be farther from the truth.
Originally founded back in 2012, FreedomPop works to make sure that no one is left out when it comes to keeping in touch with others. They’ve received over $109 million in investments from major corporations such as Intel Capital, Mangrove Capital, Parch and the founder of Skype.
FreedomPop is working to provide free mobile plans much in the same way as Skype works to provide free messaging, Dropbox provides free data and Spotify giving away free music. All you have to do is create an account at no cost.
Not only does FreedomPop give you a free mobile plan, but they also give you discounted digital devices. Find deals that give you 50% or more off of the actual retail value.
The best part? The service you’re getting is much better than what you’d expect from a free plan. The data on your phone runs at 4G speeds and cell phone service is covered by the Sprint network.
At the moment, FreedomPop is currently only available in the United States and the United Kingdom. However, they’re currently working to expand to over 12 more countries within the following year.
What’s Included In The FreedomPop Plan?
You’re probably wondering at this point what’s exactly included with the FreedomPop plan. After all, if it’s free, how good can it really be? Let’s take a quick look at what they offer:
- Basic Plan is 100% free – 200 minutes, 500 texts and 500 MB of 4G data per month
- Free unlimited texting & voice calls between other FreedomPop users
- No contract or commitment with the ability to cancel at any time
- Free international calling from over 60 countries
- Free wifi texting and voice calls from anywhere
- Granted access to over 8 million hotspots with their nationwide roaming
- Ability to use a virtual number from anywhere across the globe
- Refer friends to get extra 4G LTE each month
- Complete partner offers to get unlimited free data
So Do I Have To Pay Anything?
The service that you’re getting with FreedomPop is 100% free. The only time you have to actually pay for the service is if you go outside of your plan’s limitations. For example, if you wanted to use more data or send more texts, there may be a small fee involved.
Keep in mind that while the mobile plan they offer is free, you still have to pay for the SIM card at checkout. This is a one-time fee since you’re only paying for the hardware to use their service.
The lowest shipping plan + the SIM card ran me a total of $13.98 at checkout. With this fee alone you’re able to stay on their free plan for as long as you want. In other words, you’re getting a lifetime of free mobile service for around $14.
How Do I Get Started With FreedomPop?
Setting up an account with FreedomPop is fairly simple. Let’s walk through the process in detail to ensure that we don’t miss anything.
1. Check for availability.
Check for availability of the FreedomPop mobile service in your area by clicking this link here. Click on the “Check Availability Now” button and type in your city and zip code.
Have a device? Click on the “Activate Here” button at the top of the page and enter in your device information.
2. Choose a free service.
Once you finish checking availability in your area, you’ll be redirected to a page to select your free service. Remember, all of these plans come with no contract and no commitment. Not only that, but FreedomPop makes it really easy to cancel at any time.
If you want to know more details about a particular plan, scroll below where you can see them in more detail.
3. You can also get a free-trial with plans that require more data.
If you think that 500MB of 4G data isn’t enough per month, you can go with plans that give more data with a free-trail. For example, the Premium 2GB plan normally costs $19.99/month and gives you 4x the normal amount of free data. With this plan it’s completely free the first month. Be sure to snag these offers while you can since they don’t always last.
4. Let’s get the free plan.
If you want to get the completely free plan, be sure to select the “3-in-1 SIM Card Kit option. From there you’ll want to select the Basic LTE 200 plan that costs $0/month.
This assumes that you already have an unlocked phone you can use. If you happen to change your mind later on, you can always upgrade in the future.
One option gives you 200MB in data with texting and calling while the other gives you 500MB in data without calling.
5. If you want, get their free premium service.
Once you select your plan, you’ll be redirected to try their premium service. Click on “Continue” or “I don’t want free stuff” to proceed.
6. Get your SIM card.
You’ll need to pay a one-time fee for your hardware to be able to use the FreedomPop service. With the cheapest shipping option, this should cost you around $14 USD. This will only charge your credit card once.
Essentially, you’re paying $14 for a lifetime of free mobile service – not a bad deal!
What Are The Different Plans Available?
When you sign-up for a no-contract no-commiment phone plan with FreedomPop, you’re given 4 different options.
This option is for those who currently do not have a phone and want to get free talk, text and data. Even if you currently have a cell phone, you can always buy through this service as well. FreedomPop has partnered with many top phone providers to give you a 50% discount off MSRP.
For example, at the time of this writing you can get the Huawei Union Y538 for $59.99 – a phone that normally retails at close to $300. There’s also the Kyocera Hydro Icon Black. This phone sells at $99.99 with FreedomPop but normally goes for just under $600.
3-in-1 Sim Card Kit
This plan is for those that already have a phone and simply want to active it with the FreedomPop plan. This service gives you free mobile service when you’re in the US or anywhere across the globe. The SIM card they provide is compatible with almost any GSM unlocked phones, tablets and hotspots.
You can select two different SIM cards. The first one is the the Mobile Phone Service with Nationwide 4G LTE 3-in-1 SIM Kit. It’s compatible with almost any unlocked GSM AT&T and T-Mobile phones and includes the following:
- Smartphone is available with Nationwide 4G LTE networks worldwide
- Get free unlimited calls and text with other FreedomPop phones
- Fast 4G LTE and Nationwide 3G
- Free wifi calling and texting no matter where you are
The second plan includes the Wireless Internet with Nationwide 4G LTE 3-in-1 SIM Kit. It’s compatible with almost all unlocked GSM Phones, Tablets & Hotspots.
- You can use your current device with Nationwide 4G LTE
- Use your device to pair with other messaging apps such as Viber, Google Hangouts and WhatsApp
- Nationwide 3G with lightning fast 4G LTE
- Refer friends to earn free data each month
- When you complete partner offers, you can earn unlimited data
On The Go Internet
This plan is for those that wish to get 4G Internet at any time, anywhere, and allows you to connect all of your devices – tablets, PCs and smartphones. This plan is really great for those who aren’t at home often. Keep in mind that with this plan you need to buy one of their phones.
WiFi + 4G LTE Tablet
If you’re looking to get free 4G internet anywhere, this plan is for you. Keep in mind that you must use one of their LTE Tablets. FreedomPop has partnered with retailers to give you 50% off MSRP. For example, they give you the Samsung Tab E Black for $119.99 – a tablet that retailers for $299.99.
So What’s The FreedomPop Plan That’s 100% Free?
You don’t have to pay a cent with FreedomPop if you already have a mobile phone. If this is the case, you’ll want to select the 3-in-1 SIM Card Kit when choosing plans.
Is FreedomPop Worth It?
When we consider what other cell phone providers charge, we’re actually getting a great deal with FreedomPop. Let’s take a closer look at a more side-by-side comparison.
What Do Cell Phone Providers Typically Charge?
Verizon Wireless – one of the most popular cell phone service providers – often charges the following (with exceptions of course):
- You’re forced to sign a contract, often up to 2 years – if you cancel there’s a hefty cancellation fee that can be up to $200 or even more.
- Pay a monthly fee – as mentioned in the introduction, Verizon found that in 2014 their customers were paying an average of $148/year on their cell phone service.
- SIM Card – Usually this is free when you get a new contract, but you may have to pay a small fee if you lose it.
- Overuse of data, minutes or texts – As with any mobile service provider, if you go over your limits you will have to pay a fee.
What Does FreedomPop charge?
Now let’s take a quick look at FreedomPop and see what they charge:
- No contract, no commitment – Since there’s no contract, there’s no cancellation fee if you decide to cancel at any time.
- Pay for the SIM card – FreedomPop gives you the service 100% free, so all you have to do is pay for the hardware. My SIM card cost me around $14 after shipping.
- No monthly fee – Instead of spending close to $1,500/year in cell phone bills like with Verizon Wireless, I don’t pay a cent with the FreedomPop free plan. If we calculate how much I’m paying with the SIM card, I’m actually only paying $1.17/month assuming I keep the plan for a year. Keep the plan for two years and it’s half of this cost.
- Overuse of data, minutes or texts – Just like with any provider, you have to pay a fee if you go over your limits.
What’s The Verdict?
For those who want to remain frugal, paying for a $148/month for a cell phone plan is a bit out of the question. Even if you get the cheapest plan with such a provider, you’re still looking at a minimum monthly fee of $10.
And if you cancel? You may be forced to pay a cancellation fee of up to $200. Not only that, but depending on the provider, the contract may automatically renew, meaning you’ll be stuck for another 2 years if you forget.
FreedomPop gives you a no-contract, no-commitment, and a lifetime of free cell phone service. The only thing you have to pay for is the hardware at a one-time fee of roughly $14. This around is roughly equivalent to how much one month of service would cost at the low-end with any other mobile service provider.
Is it worth it? Definitely, if you want to save money.
Who Is FreedomPop Not For?
This service may not be for those who want to go beyond the limits of what the FreedomPop plan offers. For example, maybe you want a plan that offers more data, more texts and more minutes.
Another reason might be due to their coverage capability. FreedomPop is partnered with the Sprint network which offers great coverage in almost all areas in the US. However, there are a few spots that are a bit lacking in service.
You can use the FreedomPop coverage provider tool to find out if there’s 4G LTE or 3G coverage in your area. Look at the image above to view the results that I found. If you live in one of the white spots on the map, you might find it difficult to receive good coverage with FreedomPop.
What Are Some Other Great Offers Like FreedomPop?
Now that you have FreedomPop, it doesn’t mean that you have to stop saving cash. Here are some of our favorite frugal living tips and methods for saving money.
1. Get Paid to Read Your Email
InboxDollars is one of the most popular rewards sites on the web. They give you a $5 bonus for registering as a new user, and pay you to complete tasks that you most likely already do on a daily basis.
This includes watching videos, taking surveys, participating in polls, referring friends and more. However, one of the easiest ways to earn is by reading emails. All you have to do is open it and you earn cash immediately.
You need a minimum of $25 in your account to cash out, and you can redeem for either direct deposits to PayPal or for gift cards. The best way to earn cash if by referring friends, since you earn 10% of what they earn for life. Registration is completely free.
2. Earn a Passive Income From Your Phone
Passive income is one of the easiest ways to earn extra cash. With the Smart Panel App, you get paid to leave an app installed in the background. Registration is 100% free.
Smart Panel gives you a $5 sign-up bonus just for registering as a new user. Expect to earn roughly $110/year assuming you continuously leave the app installed.
Cash out for PayPal deposits or for a gift card of your choice. Users repeat negligible slow-down on their phone with only a 1% – 5% decrease in battery life.
3. Earn Cash Taking Pictures of Your Receipts
Want to save money on groceries? Ibotta is a free mobile app that pays you to take pictures of your grocery receipts. Earn cash back on products that you buy on a daily basis.
Not only that, but you get a $10 sign-up bonus when you scan your first receipt. Keep in mind that you need a minimum balance of $20 to redeem your cash for PayPal, Venmo or gift cards of your choosing.
The great thing about Ibotta is that they’ve recently expanded to other categories as well. Now you can earn cash back for electronics, prescriptions, alcohol, meals at restaurants, online shopping and more.
FreedomPop does a great job at giving those who can’t afford a cell phone plan to stay connected with others. 500MB of 4G data, 200 minutes of talk time and 500 texts per month can be yours at no cost.
Not only that, but you can increase your data limits by referring your friends or by completing free offers.
Have you used FreedomPop? We’d love to hear about your thoughts about it down below. Thanks for reading our FreedomPop reviews and critiques.