WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 Point Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
Have you ever had a product malfunction or pose a safety hazard? It’s possible that a lawsuit has been filed against the company who is responsible. However, most people don’t know when they are owed money. Class Action Rebates gives you a clear and concise way to figure out which settlements owe you money.
What Is Class Action Rebates?
When a company settles a lawsuit for a product or service that you purchased, often times the average consumer doesn’t know about it. Class Action Rebates is a website that is updated daily on the latest settlements so you can figure out when you are owed money. In order to receive your compensation, sometimes you will need proof of purchase
However, most of the times you don’t need to show any evidence that you purchased a product. For example, a while back we covered the Red Bull settlement, in which everyone who purchased a can of Red Bull within the past 12 years received free products or a $15 dollar check. All you had to do was fill out a form, and no proof of purchase was necessary.
Payments are sent in the form of checks in the mail and can often take a long time to send out. For the example above, I won’t be receiving a check until about a year after filling out the claim form.
The one thing you need to be aware of is that you have to consent under the threat of perjury that you are being completely honest with whatever you claim. This is why I recommend only filing for products or services that you honestly bought or used.
To make things clear, the types of cases on Class Action Rebates are called class action lawsuits. This means that someone sues on everybody’s behalf. If they win, everyone affected will receive compensation. Here are a few things you might want to know:
- You won’t be asked to testify in court
- No lawyer is needed
- Most settlements are for consumers in the US
- Most claims don’t require proof of purchase
- The majority of claims are from products bought years ago
- If no claim is filed, funds are distributed to charity, claimant members, or back to the company
- Claims have an expiration date (so make sure to check often)
How Do I Get Started With Class Action Rebates?
I recommend everyone signing-up for Class Action Rebates just to check which settlement checks they are eligible for. It could end up getting you a few extra hundred dollars a year.
1. Find products you purchased. You can find previously purchased products by going to the Class Actions Rebates list of open settlements. Look to see if you need proof of purchase and think about whether you actually did make the purchase – it’s important to be honest. If you need a receipt and the payout is so small, sometimes it’s not worth the hassle.
2. Fill out the claim form. After clicking on a settlement, there will be a link to fill out a claim form. This usually requires you to enter your name and address so they know where to send the check to. You also may be required to state which items you’ve purchased from this company.
3. Wait for your check. It’s incredibly difficult to know how long it will take to receive your compensation money. Most claims are sent out within 1-2 months after the settlement ends, but some may take a lot longer.
How Much Money Can I Expect To Make?
Anyone can easily go in and file a claim for all settlements that require no proof of purchase. However, you are agreeing under the threat of perjury that you are honest with all claims. I do not condemn this behavior at all.
For most settlements, you’re looking at making an average of $10 – $40 dollars depending on the case. For the Red Bull case, I should be receiving a $15 dollar check sometime in September. Sometimes it can be as high as $100 dollars.
You can subscribe to their newsletter to receive frequent updates on class action lawsuits.
Even though you may not realize the product or service you purchased is defective, it’s a good idea to check in case you are owed settlement money. Usually forms only take a minute to fill out and most of the time proof of purchase is not required. The only thing that you need is your honesty.
If you have any questions or have received any payments from using Class Action Rebates, feel free to leave them in the comments below. I’d love to hear about it. Thanks for reading and happy frugaling!