WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- Vindale Research: One of the best survey sites on the web. Earn up to $50 per survey. Join Vindale Research Now & Get a $1 Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
It’s finally official. It was announced earlier this year that Discover was coming to Apple Pay, and now the official date has been announced for September 16th, 2015. This is the exact same day that Apple is coming out with iOS9. To incentivize consumers, Apple Pay is offering 10% cash back when you use the Discover Card up to a maximum of $10,000 of in-store purchases.
Which Discover Card Should I Get?
We stated earlier this year that Discover is currently offering their Double Cash Back Promotion. Using the Discover It Card, normally you’d get 1% cash back and 5% cash back on specific categories that rotate quarterly.
However, with their special promotion, all cash back that you earned throughout the year will be doubled on your 13th billing cycle, effectively making you earn 2% – 10% cash back on each purchase.
With no annual fee, there’s really no reason that you shouldn’t get the Discover It Card, and we’ve already listed 7 reasons why this is probably the only card you’ll ever need.
Here’s a quick glance at what it offers:
- No annual fee
- Free FICO credit score on every monthly statement
- 1% cash back on all purchases (2% with Promotion)
- 5% cash back on categories that rotate quarterly (10% with Promotion)
- First late payment waived
- Excellent Discover Deals cash back portal
You can view the calendar below to see which purchases qualify for that extra 10% cash back bonus.
What Is Apple Pay?
Apple Pay is a convenient way to purchase goods at your local retailer using your Apple device. Instead of carrying around a bunch of credit cards, you can simply enter in your credit card number on your phone and have the app store them for you. Your cards are safe because they aren’t actually stored on your device.
Paying using your phone has never been easier. Open the app next to the contactless reader in the store, and press on the touch ID to confirm your purchase. Payments can be used with either a phone or Apple Watch.
Unfortunately, Apple Pay only works with iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, or the Apple Watch. If you don’t know which version of the iPhone that you currently have, you can either check on the back of your device or refer to Apple’s Website and type in you phone’s ID.
For those of you wanting to purchase an iPhone, we know that they aren’t cheap. A great way to get one for a great deal is to buy one refurbished on Amazon. Instead of paying the full price of $692 for a new iPhone6, you can get a refurbished one for just $639 on Amazon.
If there’s none in stock, you can also checkout Efurb, a new web-based company that only sells refurbished products that come with a free, 1-year warranty and free shipping.
Apple Pay is currently accepted at lots of retailers and their list is growing, so you won’t have to worry about finding a place to get cash back.
How Do I Get 20% Cash Back Using Apple Pay & Discover?
We’re going to break it down into 5 simple steps on how you can get 20% cash back using both Apple Pay & Discover together.
1. Get A Discover It Card. You can get a Discover It Card by clicking this link here. Keep in mind that you’ll need a credit score of around 700 in order to be eligible.
2. Sign-up For Apple Pay. The easiest way to get started with Apple Pay is to follow the instructions found here. From there, go ahead and enter in your Discover It Card information.
3. Use Discover With Apple Pay On Checkout. Remember, you must use both Discover and Apple Pay to get the max 20% cash back. You’ll get up to 10% when you buy within certain categories from the Discover Double Cash Back Promotion, and an additional 10% just from using Apple Pay.
Remember that this is for in-store purchases only, so Amazon won’t quality.
Remember that you get 10% back from using Apple Pay only up to a maximum of $10,000 in purchases a year using your Discover Card. Furthermore, the Discover It Card only allows you to get 10% on rotating categories up to $1,500 in purchases per quarter.
This means that we can get a total of $600 in cash back from using our Discover It Card, and $1,000 from using Apple Pay for a total of $1,600 in cash back. A great way to quickly get up to $10,000 is by purchasing gift cards or prepaid debit cards at department stores (which qualify for 10% in savings from the Discover Cash Back Calendar).
There might be a small additional purchase fee of $6.95 when buying prepaid cards, but the amount you’re getting back is much more than worth it. For more interesting ways on how to save money, we suggest the articles below:
- Get Up To 18.5% Cash Back When Using Discover It On Amazon
- How To Get 12.5% Cash Back On ALL Purchases at Walmart
- I Got These 5 Products On Amazon For Free, And You Can Too
If you have any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to leave them down in the box below. Thanks again for reading and happy frugaling!