WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 Point Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
Amazon is known for selling a wide variety of products, but many people don’t know that they also sell gift cards to various retailers such as Starbucks. They sell at full price, but if you can find a way to get a discount on your Amazon purchase, when you buy gift cards you’re also going to get a discount.
This is why I always look on Amazon to see if they have a gift card I need before going out to eat or shopping, because I know that I can get 10% off any gift card I buy on there, even Amazon gift cards (we’ve compiled a complete list near the bottom of this post).
Want to find out how? Keep reading below to find out how. Just make sure to follow the steps in order. If you don’t understand one step at first, keep reading and you’ll start to understand as you go through them.
1. Get A Discover It Card
The Discover It Card has been covered many times in the FFL blog, due to it having an excellent cash back program and its recent Double Cash Back Promotion that’s been extended until September 30th. There are also ways to get up to 40% cash back through its cash back portal called Discover Deals.
With no annual fee, you really can’t go wrong with this card. Let’s take a quick look at all that it has to offer.
- No annual fee
- FICO credit score displayed on every monthly statement
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1% cash back on all purchases (now 2% with promotion)
- 5% cash back on categories that rotate quarterly (now 10% with promotion)
- Free overnight shipping for replacement cards
- First late payment waived
- Late payments won’t raise APR
- Discover Deals cash back portal
2. Activate Quarterly Cash Back
Above we mentioned that the Discover It Card gives you 10% cash back on specific purchases that rotate quarterly. Taking a look at their cash back calendar shows that from the months of July all the way to December, everything you purchase with this card will give you 10% back on Amazon (assuming you applied within the promotion). For those of you who don’t know, the Double Cash Back Promotion has been extended until September 30th.
Once you receive your card in the mail, go to the Discover Page, log-in, and activate your cash back. From now on, everything you buy on Amazon.com will result in you getting 10% cash back on your Discover Card. The first 5% will be given at the end of your billing statement, and the remaining 5% will be given on the 13th billing cycle (after one year).
3. Purchase Your Gift Card
Now that cash back is activated, you can make your purchase on Amazon like you normally would. Here are 3 quick steps to ensure that you’re getting your cash back.
1. Go to Amazon.com and type in the gift card that you are trying to buy.
2. Add your gift card (we choose Starbucks) to your cart.
3. Checkout using your Discover Card to get 10% cash back on whatever you’re buying. Discovered has partnered with Amazon so that whatever cash back you’ve received previously can be applied to your checkout.
You can also read an article that uses these steps along with some others to get you up to 10% cash back or MORE on all Starbucks purchases.
What Retailers Are Listed On Amazon?
Before buying a gift card, you might want to consider buying it on Amazon first so you can get that extra 10% off. However, just because you can get a great deal through the methods above doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the best one out there. In fact, there are ways in which you can save even more than 10% on gift cards. We’ve written an article on how to quickly find the highest discounts when buying gift cards.
To save even more money you can also go through a cash back portal and use your gift card upon checkout. You can view the Top 10 Cash Back Portals Here and how they work. Want to stick with Amazon? We’ve also written about the Top 10 Ways To Save Money On Amazon.
Have any questions or other ways to save on Amazon? Feel free to leave them in the comments below. Again, thanks for reading and good luck on your frugal journey.