Want to Earn Some Extra Money?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short time. Join LifePoints Now For a 10 Point Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
Gas is already back up to around $3 dollars here in the Spokane area, and who knows how quickly it will rise again. Fortunately, if there’s a Shell station in your area, you can get up to 10% off all fuel purchases.
Make sure to follow all of the steps in this article in order to ensure that you get the maximum amount of cash back.
1. Get A Discover It Card
Fortunately, Discover extended their cash back promotion until September 30th. This promotion gives you double the cash back earned in one year. Instead of getting 1% cash back on all purchases, you’re essentially earning double the amount at 2%.
The Discover It Card also gives you 5% cash back on categories that rotate quarterly. This means instead of getting just 5% cash back, with their Cash Back Promotion you’re essentially getting 10% back (5% x 2 = 10%). The first half of your cash back is paid at the end of each month, and the second half is paid after one year on your 13th billing cycle.
Let’s take a quick look at the card:
- No annual fee
- 2% cash back on all purchases (with promotion)
- 10% cash back categories that rotate quarterly (with promotion)
- No foreign transaction fees
- First late payment waived
- Incredible Discover Deals Shopping Portal – Up To 40% Off
- Late payments do not raise APR
Already have a Discover It Card? Just call up the number on the back of your card and tell them that you’d also like to participate in the Double Cash Back Promotion. If they refuse, tell them you’re considering canceling your account – this usually pushes them over the edge to let you in.
2. Buy A GameStop Gift Card On Amazon
Now that you have the Discover It Card, you can get 10% cash back on certain purchases that rotate quarterly. From the months of July – December, Discover offers 5% cash back on all purchases made at Amazon.com. With our Cash Back Promotion, it’s going to double to 10%.
We’re going to buy a GameStop gift card on Amazon. You can buy it in many different denominations. Just make sure that you use your Discover It Card upon checkout to make sure you get that 10% cash back.
If you want to get your card extra quick, request to receive an egift card. You’ll usually receive it to your inbox within just a few hours. If you have Amazon Gift Cards in your account, you cannot use them to purchase other gift cards.
3. Purchase A Shell Gift Card At GameStop (In-Store Only)
Now that you have a GameStop gift card, go to your local GameStop store and look at the gift card section. Most of them will have Shell Gift Cards for either $25, $50 or $100 dollars. I recommend calling first just to make sure that they have them in stock. They can’t be bought online.
Some people report that GameStop doesn’t allow you to use their gift cards to purchase gift cards to other retailers, but I personally have never had this problem. Out of the 3 GameStop stores where I live, all of them have been more than happy to make this transaction. You can always try different stores if one refuses.
By saving 10% on gas, every $100 dollars you spend puts $10 back in your pocket. This amount of savings can add up quickly depending on how much you drive. If you’re looking for other ways to save money, we recommend the following articles:
- Get 18.5% off purchases on Amazon with Discover It
- Get 10% Off all gift cards purchased on Amazon
- Make $150/Month In Passive Income With Perk TV
- Jet Shopping Site Cheaper Than Amazon – Price Comparison
If you missed the Double Cash Back Promotion, you can still get 5% off all gas purchases this way. If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them down below. Thanks for reading and happy frugaling!
My name is Jason Wuerch and I'm currently located in Madrid, Spain running a personal finance blog called Frugal For Less. My goal is to help everyone and anyone willing to make and save money through easy and simple ways that don't require much effort. Just because you're frugal doesn't mean you have to give up life's luxuries.