WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 point bonus
- Vindale Research: One of the best survey sites on the web. Earn up to $50 per survey. Join Vindale Research Now & Get a $1 Bonus
For those of you who follow the FFL blog, you might have noticed that we wrote an article about how to get 8% off all Amazon purchases with a maximum of up to 16%. However, due to some new resources, we can actually bump these numbers up a bit and now get a minimum of 10% cash back and up to a max of 18.5%. Just follow the 3 steps below.
1. Get The Discover It Card
With the Discover It Card, you can get a minimum of 2% – 10% cash back on all purchases. Discover is currently holding a promotion where you get double the amount of cash back you’d normally receive if you apply during the months of June and July.
You get cash back like you normally would at the end of your billing cycle, but with this promotion anything you earned within the first 12 months of your Discover Card is doubled and placed into your account at the end of the year.
Even if you don’t want to apply for the card just to get the double cash back, it still has a lot of other great benefits such as their online shopping portal. There’s also no annual fee. Here’s a quick glance at the card below:
- 5% cash back on categories that rotate quarterly
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- No annual fee
- Online shopping portal allows you to get up to 40% cash back
- First late payment waived
- Free FICO credit score shown on monthly statement
- Free overnight shipping for replacement card
We’re going to be using this card on our Amazon purchase in the steps below to maximize our cash back.
What If I Already Have The Discover It Card?
If you noticed on the Discover Page, the double cash back promotion is only available to new members. If you’re already a member, call up the number on the back of your card and tell them to activate the double cash back promotion.
They’ll usually be more than happy to meet your request. If they refuse, tell them that you’d like to cancel your card, and this usually pushes them over the edge to agree.
2. Activate Cash Back
Now that you have the Discover It Card in your hands you’re just minutes away from maximizing your cash back at Amazon. Notice how we mentioned above that you can get 5% cash back on categories that rotate quarterly? For the months of July – September, Discover gives you 5% cash back on all purchases made on Amazon.com in 2015.
This promotion may change annually, but from personal experience it’s usually the same every year. However, in order to get this amount in cash back you must activate it. Simply log-in to your Discover Account and activate cash back for the quarter.
Now everything you buy on Amazon is going to be 5% off for the months of July – September. Yet by signing-up for the Discover It Card during the promotion, after 12 months you’re going to double all cash back earned. This means you’re effectively getting 10% cash back on all Amazon purchases.
If you’re still confused on how this cash back works or the promotion that they’re offering, you can read more details here.
3. Go Through An Online Portal
We’ve already gotten to the point where we get 10% cash back on all Amazon purchases, but we can do even better and get up to 18%. Before we get continue, we must mention that this only applies to specific types of products bought. Unfortunately, this doesn’t apply to what most people use Amazon for – electronics.
As of right now, here’s what categories you can get extra cash back for:
- Jewelry & Watches – Extra 8.5% Cash Back
- Luxury Beauty & Grooming– Extra 6% Cash Back
- Shoes – Extra 6% Cash Back
- Handbags & Wallets – Extra 6% Cash Back
- Baby Items – Extra 6% Cash Back
How do we get this cash back? We do it by using an online shopping portal. These portals are online websites that pay you a commission by first going through their affiliate links to make a purchase. If you’re confused on how this works, you can read our shopping portal guide here.
One of the most popular shopping portals that we’re going to be using in our example is BeFrugal. They usually have one of the highest cash back rates around and are great at paying on time and rewarding you with your deserved cash. Let’s look at the steps below to see how you can use this portal to extend your cash back by another 6% – 8% on Amazon.
1. Sign-Up For BeFrugal
You can sign-up for a BeFrugal account by clicking this link here. All you will need is your email address and to create a password. You may also need to confirm your email.
Once you are signed-up for BeFrugal and logged-in, type in “Amazon” in the search bar at the top of the page. You will be directed to a page that displays what type of deals that are available. Click on any of the “Shop Now” buttons to be redirected to the Amazon webpage.
3. Make Your Purchase On Amazon
Since you used the BeFrugal affiliate link, any purchases made on Amazon will now get you an added bonus of 6% – 8.5% cash back depending on the type of product that you purchased. Keep note that this bonus amount may change on occasion.
Sometimes BeFrugal will decrease all cash back deals down to only 6%, and at other times they can raise them to 10%, so be sure to check back often. We used these figures because it’s what they usually have on average.
To use your cash back, just make your purchase like you normally would. BeFrugal will keep of all clicks made on Amazon. Just be sure to use your Discover It Card during the checkout process.
Since we get 10% back on all Amazon purchases with our credit card card and also 8.5% back on all jewelry & watches from using the BeFrugal shopping portal, we can get up to 18.5% cash back! If you’re feeling wealthy, you can bring this $1,000 dollar watch down to just $815.00. That’s quite a bit of savings.
If you’re not buying one of the categories listed above, you’re still going to save 10% by using your Discover It Card, which isn’t a bad deal. If you’re looking for other shopping portals to compare deals, we recommend the ones below:
Here’s a quick recap of what you need to do in order to save up to a maximum of 18.5% off of your Amazon purchase.
- Apply For A Discover It Card. They double your cash back at the end of the year if you apply in June or July of 2015.
- Activate your cash back. You get 5% back on all purchases on Amazon made with your Discover Card It Card from July – September. Since you get double the cash back on all purchases, you’re actually getting 10% back.
- Go through a shopping portal. We recommend BeFrugal, where you can get an added bonus of 6% – 8.5% off Amazon purchases.
While Discover has mentioned that they may extend their promotion of getting double cash back, we can’t be certain that they will. It’s always better to apply sooner than later. If you’re looking for other ways to save on Amazon, we recommend the following articles:
- Get Free Amazon Products With AMZ Review Trader
- Get Free Amazon Products With Snagshout
- Save 15% Or Even More On Amazon Subscribe & Save
- The Breakdown Of Amazon Prime
- Get A Free $5 Dollars When You Download The Amazon Shopping App
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy frugaling!