WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 Point Bonus
- DoorDash: $0 delivery fee on your first order with DoorDash. Get Your First Delivery with DoorDash Free
Freelance writing is the main way I make money online. I’ve been at it for over six years, so I write for various clients and websites.
However, I started out with no experience or formal writing education. My career took off after I wrote for content mills for a few years. If you want to easily make $500 online per month, you may want to consider this route.
A content mill is a platform that hires a large number of writers. These writers are connected with the platform’s clients. Clients pay a set rate for the content they buy, and the platform keeps a portion of that rate.
As a writer, you receive payment for the content you complete.
It’s pretty easy to get started as a content mill writer. In this post, I’ve outlined eight different companies you should check out. You can earn $500 using one or two of them, but the more the merrier.
Check out the details and see which ones suit your needs. This is a quick and simple way to earn money online, so get started ASAP.
The Basics Of Content Mill Writing
Before you continue reading, I want to cover a few points about getting started. Every content mill is unique, but most of them have the same features. Here are some things you need to know.
- You need basic English grammar, spelling, and writing skills. No other experience is required for most platforms.
- You’ll fill out a basic application. For some mills, the application only consists of five or so questions. Higher paying platforms may ask about your history, areas of expertise, and so on. In general, I’ve never seen an application take longer than 30 minutes to complete.
- You usually have to submit a short writing sample. Samples are usually about 200 to 500 words long. Sometimes you’ll be given a keyword to write about. Other times, you’ll get free reign over what you write about.
- Your sample is graded, and your grade determines your starting pay. This is how most content mills work. You’ll start at a certain level, and that level pays a set amount per word. It’s fairly easy to climb the ranks and earn more per word.
- You may need to complete a grammar test. Some platforms require writers to pass a grammar or spelling test. This isn’t always the case, but it’s worth noting.
- You’ll usually pick assignments to write from a large pool of topics. Some mills will have hundreds or thousands of orders for you to choose from. You get details about the assignment ahead of time, so you can decide if it’s a good fit for you.
That’s truly all you need to know to move forward. You’ll complete these steps for almost any content mill you apply for. The process isn’t hard, and it’s usually pretty quick. Some platforms will approve you instantly, but others may take a few days.
How Does Textbroker Work?
Textbroker is one of the most well-known content mill websites. Some of their clients include Yoast, eBay, and Staples. Textbroker hires writers around the world, and they offer content in over 15 different languages.
If you’re a U.S. resident, you’ll need to sign up using the link above.
To start writing for Textbroker, you’ll fill out a pretty short application. You will need to verify your U.S. citizenship. This requirement is due to a large number of non-citizens applying on the U.S. site.
After you do this, you’ll submit a writing sample. It will be graded within a few days, and then you can start earning money. Read my Textbroker review for an in-depth look at my experience.
How Does Textbroker Pay?
Textbroker pays weekly via PayPal if you have a minimum of $10 in your account. You need to request a payout on Thursday night, and you’ll usually receive it via PayPal on Friday. You can request payment simply by clicking a button on your writer dashboard.
How Can You Earn $500 Per Month?
To start out, your earnings will be based on your writing sample. All new writers start as 2-star, 3-star, or 4-star writers. Here’s the payment for each level:
- Level 2 – 0.7 cents per word ($3.50 per 500-word article)
- Level 3 – 1.0 cents per word ($5.00 per 500-word article)
- Level 4 – 1.4 to 1.78 cents per word ($7.00 to $8.90 per 500-word article)
Assignments may be as short as 50 to 300 words. Some assignments are 1,000 to 3,000 words or longer. You’ll know how long an assignment needs to be before you choose to write it. This makes it super easy to earn what you want when you want.
I began using Textbroker in 2012. I started out as a Level 3 writer and earned one cent per word. During my first week, I worked pretty slowly until I got the hang of things. I’d spend a few hours per weekday writing Textbroker articles.
I earned $126.69 my first week and $249.55 my second week. I think it’s safe to say that these earnings are pretty average. Let’s say you start out as a Level 3 writer. If you write five 500-word articles every weekday, you’ll earn $500 per month.
How Does iWriter Work?
iWriter is another very popular content mill where thousands of people get paid to write. Over 24,000 clients around the world use iWriter to get written content.
Assignment types include articles, blog posts, eBooks, re-writes, and more. Assignments range from 150 to 35,000 words each.
Signing up for iWriter is pretty easy. You just need to be 18 or older with a PayPal account. The application is very short and just asks for some basic information.
You’ll need to pass a quick and simple grammar/spelling test. It’s about 15 questions long and only takes a few minutes. Then you can get paid to write articles.
How Does iWriter Pay?
iWriter pays via PayPal if you have a minimum of $20 in your account. You can set your payment schedule based on for options. You can choose to get paid weekly on Tuesdays, bi-weekly on Wednesdays, or monthly on the 5th or 25th.
How Can You Earn $500 Per Month?
Like most content mills, iWriter pays per word. The amount you earn per word depends on your writer level. You’ll start out as a Standard Writer, and you can work your way up. These are the current pay rates based on my iWriter dashboard:
- Standard Writer – $2.67 per 500-word article
- Premium Writer – $4.86 per 500-word article
- Elite Writer – $9.72 per 500-word article
- Elite Plus Writer – $32.40 per 500-word article
This is what you’ll earn for assignments that you choose from the writer’s pool. If a client likes your work, they can directly request you for assignments. These assignments pay more per word. Learn more about earnings and ratings in my iWriter review.
If you write six 500-word articles daily, you’ll earn $373.80 per month as a Standard Writer. Rising to the Premium Writer level is easy. There are usually longer assignments available, too. Earning $500 or more per month is very realistic.
How Does WritersDomain Work?
WritersDomain is the second platform I started writing for. They are a branch of the popular online marketing company called Boostability.
The site has changed a lot over the years, but many aspects are still the same. WritersDomain pays a bit higher than most other content mills.
Their application and requirements are stricter, too. I recommend applying once you’ve got a bit of experience writing online. WritersDomain hires writers from the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and France.
Anyone 18 years or older can apply. To start the application process, click ‘Register’ on the page linked above. You’ll provide your name, address, and some other basic information.
You’ll also have to submit proof of a W-9 before you get paid. Then you’ll submit a 400-word writing sample and complete a grammar test. You’ll know within 2-3 days if you’ve been accepted.
How Does WritersDomain Pay?
WritersDomain automatically pays monthly on the 5th via PayPal. However, you can receive immediate payment via PayPal once you’ve earned $100 or more. In my experience, payments are very reliable and quick.
How Can You Earn $500 Per Month?
WritersDomain FAQ page says that writers earn $0.02 to $0.05 per word. This is a bit lacking in detail, but I easily found additional info. The amount you earn per article is based on your star rating.
You also earn more if you’re eligible to write Premium articles. Here are the current rates:
- 3-Star – $12.25 per 400-word article
- 4-Star – $14.75 per 400-word article
- 5-Star – $15.50 per 400-word article
- 4-Star Premium – $28.75 per 600-word article
- 5-Star Premium – $32.50 per 600-word article
Your articles are given star ratings once an editor looks over them. You’ll always earn at least $12.25 per 400-word article once your assignment is approved. This works out to about 3.0 cents per word.
The WritersDomain blog teaches you how to earn 4-star and 5-star ratings.
If you wrote two 400-word articles every weekday, you’d earn $490 per month if they’re rated 3-stars. By reading the blog, it’s fairly easy to get 4-star ratings several times per month. There’s a lot of competition among writers, so the available work goes fast.
How Does Constant Content Work?
Constant Content is pretty different from the other options on this list. Instead of being a content mill, Constant Content operates as a marketplace for clients and writers.
You sell pre-written articles to clients. Some notable clients include Uber, CVS, Walgreens, and eBay. According to Constant Content, top writers earn around $90,000 per year.
You write and upload pre-written articles about whatever you want. Constant Content shows you what topics are popular, and you earn the most money by sticking to those topics.
You choose how long each article is and how much you want to get paid for it. You can also choose topics from the Requested Content list. These projects pay a set price.
Constant Content has a three-step registration process. First, you’ll fill out a simple application. Then you’ll take a grammar and spelling quiz. If you pass the quiz, you’ll submit a writing sample.
You can start uploading articles and getting paid once you receive an approval e-mail.
How Does Constant Content Pay?
Constant Content pays monthly via PayPal. Payments are sent out during the first week of each month. You’ll need a minimum of $5 in your account to get paid.
How Can You Earn $500 Per Month?
You set the price for every article you upload to Constant Content. When your article sells, you earn 65 percent of your asking price. Constant Content keeps 35 percent, so make sure to price your articles accordingly.
I suggest exploring the Requested Content list, too. This option is more like a content mill. Clients list a topic and some details about the article they want. A word count and a price range are listed, so you know how much you’ll earn in advance.
It’s possible to earn $500 per month, but there are a lot of factors to consider. The main factors are how many articles you upload, how many articles you sell, and how you price each article. If you stick to writing articles with popular topics, it’s not difficult to meet your goal.
I’ll use one of the first articles I wrote for Constant Content as an example. The topic was about financial factors when getting divorced. It was about 650 words long, and I earned about $30 after the 35% fee.
This means I earned about 4.6 cents per word. Once I had some experience, I raised my rates.
Let’s say you want to earn $30 per article to start out. To earn $500 per month, you’ll need to write and sell about 16 articles per month.
This isn’t difficult as long as you focus on in-demand keywords and topics. It’s even easier to make $500 if you complete Requested Content work, too.
5. Hire Writers
How Does Hire Writers Work?
Hire Writers is one of my top recommendations for brand new writers who really need experience. The pay isn’t as high as other content mills. However, it’s incredibly easy to get approved.
The work is simple, and climbing the ranks is pretty effortless. The topics you write about are pretty fun and diverse, too.
You can sign up if you’re in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, or Singapore. To get started, fill out the short form under the “Get Paid To Write” tab.
You’ll be sent a link via e-mail to activate your account. Then you’ll complete an easy grammar test. Once you do this, you can start making money writing articles. That’s really all there is to it!
How Does Hire Writers Pay?
Hire Writers pays weekly on Fridays via PayPal. Payments are sent automatically sent if you have a minimum of $10 in your account. I only wrote for Hire Writers for a short period of time. But I was promptly paid every Friday without any issues.
How Can You Earn $500 Per Month?
How much you earn per article depends on your rating. This is the typical pay per article according to their FAQ page:
- Beginner – $2.26 per 300 to 500-word article
- Expert – $10.66 for a 300 to 500-word article
There are four different levels, and it’s surprisingly simple to reach Expert. It took me less than a week, and I was really inexperienced then. Here are the qualifications for each level:
- Beginner – This is the level every writer starts at.
- General – You’ve completed three or more jobs with a 4-star average rating from clients.
- Skilled – You’ve completed seven or more jobs with a 4.1-star average rating from clients.
- Expert – You’ve completed 14 or more jobs with a 4.6-star average rating from clients.
Let’s say you climb the ranks to Expert within a week. At this level, you could write two 300-500 word articles five days a week. You’d earn $639.60 per month.
How Does WriterAccess Work?
WriterAccess is a content mill that focuses on providing high-quality writing to clients. Some well-known clients include Microsoft, CarMax, Liberty Mutual, and 3M.
The platform has over 25,000 clients and over 15,000 writers. The pay is above-average compared to other content mills, but they also seek truly skilled writers.
To apply for WriterAccess, you need to be a U.S. resident and 18 or older. The application process is pretty detailed, so you should set aside some time for it.
You’ll start by providing basic information, your level of education, and your resume. If possible, you should also provide the URL for your blog, LinkedIn profile, Google+ page, and online portfolio.
Once you do this, you’ll provide a writing sample. Your writing sample plays a big part in determining your writer level. You’ll also fill out a writer profile to list your skills, experience, and more.
Finally, you’ll complete a grammar and spelling test. You’ll receive an e-mail responding to your application within a few weeks.
How Does WriterAccess Pay?
WriterAccess pays twice per month via PayPal. You need a minimum of $10 in your account to get paid. Payment is usually sent between the 7th and 9th and/or the 22nd and 24th.
How Can You Earn $500 Per Month?
WriterAccess pays per word, and your pay rate depends on your writer level. This is the current pay per word for each level:
- Level 2 – at least 1.4 cents per word
- Level 3 – at least 2.8 cents per word
- Level 4 – at least 4.2 cents per word
- Level 5 – at least 5.6 cents per word
- Level 6 – at least 7.0 cents per word
On your WriterAccess dashboard, you’ll see Casting Calls. These are the articles available at your level. Casting Calls provide lots of details about what the client wants. If you want to write the article, you respond to the Casting Call to express your interest.
Clients can add you to their Love Lists if they like your work. This lets them contact you directly when they want you to write for them.
There’s no set formula for earning $500 per month. The amount of work available at your level can vary a lot. The length of each assignment varies a lot, too.
But let’s say you start out as a Level 3 writer. This means you’d earn $14 per 500-word article. If you wrote two 500-word articles five days a week, you’d earn $560 per month.
How Does Crowd Content Work?
Crowd Content is a reputable content creation service that provides articles, blog posts, product descriptions, Facebook posts, and Tweets to clients.
Some of their notable clients include Shopify and Hootsuite. Crowd Content pay is slightly above average compared to other content websites.
To begin writing, you can view their openings here. For example, they’re currently hiring writers to write Best Buy product descriptions. You’ll start by providing basic information, and then you’ll fill out your writer profile.
Crowd Content doesn’t disclose the rest of the application process, but it seems pretty straightforward.
How Does Crowd Content Pay?
Crowd Content pays weekly via PayPal every Tuesday and Friday. You need a $10 minimum in your account to receive your payment.
How Can You Earn $500 Per Month?
Crowd Content pays per word based on your quality level. You’ll earn a basic rate per word called a Street Rate. You can make more money with the Bonus Rate. Bonus Rates are based on quick turnaround times and other factors. Facebook posts and Tweets pay per unit. Here’s the payment structure:
- 1 Star – 1.2 cents per word (1.4 cents per word at Bonus Rate)
- 2 Star – 2.0 cents per word (2.3 cents per word at Bonus Rate)
- 3 Star – 4.4 cents per word (5.2 cents per word at Bonus Rate)
- 4 Star – 6.6 cents per word (7.6 cents per word at Bonus Rate)
- Standard Facebook Posts – $1.05 ($1.20 at Bonus Rate)
- Professional Facebook Posts – $1.55 ($1.75 at Bonus Rate)
- Standard Tweets – $0.70 ($0.80 at Bonus Rate)
- Professional Tweets – $1.05 ($1.20 at Bonus Rate)
It’s difficult to say exactly how to earn $500 per month. Crowd Content doesn’t offer much information about your initial star rating.
But let’s say that you begin as a 2 Star writer and earn 2.0 cents per word. A common length for content-mill articles is 500 words, so each article would pay $10.
You could earn $600 per month by writing three 500-word articles – or the equivalent – five days per week.
How Does Contentgather Work?
Contentgather is a platform that focuses on providing quality written content to businesses. It’s a marketplace like Constant Content; you upload your own pre-written articles.
You can write about whatever you’d like. Again, sticking to hot topics and keywords is the best way to sell your articles.
To write for Contentgather, you need to be an English speaker and 16 or older. Contentgather doesn’t list any other application requirements on their website.
How Does Contentgather Pay?
You can request payment from Contentgather anytime you have $5 or more in your account. Payments are made via PayPal, and it can take up to 24 hours for your request to get approved. If you request a payment that’s $10 or less, you’ll be charged a $0.50 fee.
How Can You Earn $500 Per Month?
The Contentgather FAQ states that payment ranges between 1.0 and 10.0 cents per word. Again, you set the pay per word for your pre-written content. The minimum word count per article is 250 words, and the maximum is 1,500 words. This means your earning potential fluctuates a lot.
You’re also limited on how much you can charge per word based on your writer level. Contentgather takes a 20% commission fee per article, so set your prices with this in mind.
You can receive payments in advance based on your writer level. Once Contentgather approves your article, you’ll get the advance payment before it sells.
- Bronze – 0% payment in advance; 100% payment when your article sells.
- Silver – 5% payment in advance; 95% payment when your article sells.
- Gold – 7% payment in advance; 93% payment when your article sells.
- Platinum – 10% payment in advance; 90% payment when your article sells.
- Diamond – 15% payment in advance; 85% payment when your article sells.
For this example, I’ll use 5.0 cents per word since that’s right in the middle. Let’s say you write 650-word articles on average. You’ll earn $26 per article once Contentgather takes their 20% commission fee.
You’d have to write and sell 20 articles per month to earn $520. That’s only five articles per week!
Online Writing Job Tips To Earn More Money
It’s true that anyone can make money writing for content mills. But there are definite ways to increase your earnings. Follow these tips and polish your skills a bit. By doing so, you can honestly earn $1,000 per month or more.
- Figure out how much you can write per hour. During the first few weeks, make note of how long it takes you to write an article. I’ll use Textbroker as an example. If you’re a 3-star writer and write three articles per hour, that’s $9 per hour. Try to increase your hourly goal every few weeks.
- Set an earnings goal each week. I listed exactly how you can earn $500 or more from the eight content mills above. You may want to earn more than this, and you certainly can. I find it helpful to set a weekly or daily earnings goal. This can help you focus on smaller numbers, which makes the big monthly total less overwhelming.
- Use Grammarly to check your work. Grammarly is a grammar and spelling tool that many writers use. There’s a free version and a premium version. Give the free version a shot to help you polish your work. Error-free work equals higher ratings, and higher ratings equal more pay per word. If you really enjoy it, you may want to upgrade to the paid version.
- Use a free plagiarism checker to check your work. Plagiarizing your work is a quick way to get instantly banned from a content mill. Unfortunately, you may accidentally plagiarize a source here and there. It’s happened to me, but it’s easy to avoid the problem. As a professional writer, I use a paid plagiarism checker called Copyscape. I suggest Small SEO Tools if you want to start with a free tool.
- Don’t put all of your eggs in one basket. This is one of my most important tips, and I learned it from experience. One day, your favorite content mill may have hundreds of assignments. There may be zero available the next day. I strongly recommend joining at least three content mills to spread out your options. The more sites you write for, the more access to work you’ll have.
- Keep taxes in mind. Any income you earn is subjected to self-employment tax. If you have a traditional day job, the taxes you owe may be balanced by your tax refund. Still, it’s important to note how much you’ll owe each year. Factor this into your earnings so you aren’t caught off guard by a big number during tax seasons.
More Ways To Earn $500 Per Month Online
Writing is my personal favorite way to make money online. But there are several other fun options I enjoy. Some examples include surveys and shopping apps. We review tons of money making options at Frugal For Less. Check out these posts for some great examples:
- 35 Work From Home Gigs That Pay Weekly Or Daily
- 25+ Best Survey Sites: Get Paid $600/Month Or More From Home (Updated 2018)
- 25 Apps To Make Money Fast For PayPal
Use these posts to get started, and browse our Make Money section to find even more legit ways to make money online.