Want to Earn Some Extra Money?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short time. Join LifePoints Now For a 10 Point Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
We are pretty familiar with Amazon and their online shopping platform and savings.
There are many ways we can save money on Amazon, such as:
- Amazon Prime – Enjoy free music, videos, books and more with your membership.
- Subscribe & Save – Save 15% on automated monthly deliveries.
- Trade-In Program – Trade in your old electronics, games, textbooks and more.
But did you know you can make money with them too?
I’ll be listing a variety of ways to make money on Amazon for different types of personalities, interests, schedules, and more.
Here are 10 different ways:
1. Become an Amazon Associate
This earning opportunity is great for those who have their own website, write a blog, or have a large social media following.
It’s free for website owners and bloggers to become Amazon Associates and you just need to advertise products from Amazon on your sites by creating links.
When customers click the links and buy products from Amazon, you earn referral fees.
It’s easy to get started, you just start on the Amazon Associates sign up page, fill out your profile and answer all the various questions about your website, verify a call-in code, and you’re done.
Congratulations, you now are an Amazon Associate and can begin creating links for your website and social media accounts.
You need to understand that some websites and blogs are not permitted and will automatically be rejected, such as:
- Promoting illegal activities
- Contain X-rated material
- Promotes hate, harm, discrimination, violence, and similar activities
- Other similar activities as already mentioned.
The Amazon Associates website has many tutorials and explanations of the different types of product links, widgets, and more.
It may seem easy to get into the Associates program, but you need to keep in mind is that not everyone gets to stay in the program.
You must make at least one sale in the first 3 months, or your application will be rejected.
The big question everyone’s waiting for is “how much can you make as an Amazon Associate”?
The answers I found online varied wildly – from $47,.000 in a year to $25,000 in a month.
The answer actually depends on what product links you are sharing because the commission is different for each group.
- Furniture, Home, Home Improvement, Lawn & Garden, Pets, etc. – 8% commission
- Digital Music, Digital Videos, Handmade, and Grocery – 5% commission
- Books, Health & Personal Care, Sports, Kitchen, Baby Products, and similar – 5% commission
- Video Games and Video Game Consoles – 1% commission
These commission rates are pretty low, so the way to earn more is by page views – the more page views you have, the more chances your links will get clicks.
If you don’t have a website or a blog, it’s pretty easy to create one and start earning.
2. Complete Mini-Tasks on Amazon’s Mechanical Turk
If you’re looking for a small side hustle to earn a little extra money, you should try Amazon Mechanical Turk.
Mturk for short, is a “crowdsourcing marketplace that makes it easier for individuals and businesses to outsource their processes and jobs to a distributed workforce who can perform these tasks virtually”.
The different tasks, called HITS, that you can complete on this site include:
- Image/Video Processing – Select the best picture or video for a product
- Data Verification – Verify website details or identifying incomplete information
- Information Gathering – Filling out marketing/survey data or writing website content
- Data Processing – Language translation, or rating search data accuracy
To get started, head to their sign-up page and fill out all the requested information including your bank account information for payments.
How much you can make on Amazon’s mTurk depends on which HITS you choose, how long you want to work, and how often.
People have reported their average earnings of $6 to $10 per hour.
But, if you only choose to do the easier jobs, like filling out surveys, you’ll earn even less.
There’s no requirement to begin work except be 18 years old or older.
You’re free to set your own schedule and work all the HITs available on your dashboard.
3. Sell your Own T-Shirts on Amazon
If you’re a creative type or want to work as a designer, you can start selling your own merchandise on Merch by Amazon.
You simply upload your artwork, choose a T-shirt size and color, add a description, and Amazon will do the rest.
Merch by Amazon will take care of the production, shipping, and customer service.
The advantages of using Merch by Amazon are:
- No inventory to manage
- Exposure to a larger market of customers
- Using Amazon Prime for shipping
- Tools and Reports to track and analyze your sales
Now, due to the overwhelming demand of people wanting to join, Merch by Amazon is now by invitation only.
To start your invitation process, you’ll need to click the “Request Invitation” button, sign in to your Amazon account, and enter your business contact information, bank account information, and your tax ID.
You’ll need to wait for approval from Amazon to continue, the wait time depends on the application demands at the time and they’ll email you their answer.
The royalties you can make with your own T-shirt sales depend on your product’s price minus Amazon fees and taxes.
Amazon fees include materials, production, shipping, customer service, returns, and exchanges – pretty much all of the business side of things.
Here’s some examples of US T-shirt Sales:
- T-shirt price $15.99, Royalties $2.21
- T-shirt price $19.99, Royalties $5.23
- T-shirt price $23.99, Royalties $8.23
It may not seem like much money, but that’s just one T-shirt sale and there are 100 Million Amazon Prime members.
Most of the work would be in the beginning with the designing and after that it’s all passive earnings.
So, the more designs you have, the more potential sales you’ll make.
If this idea interests you, but you’re not sure how to get started, you can learn how to create your own brand.
4. Drive for Amazon Flex
Pretty much everyone’s heard of Uber and Lyft driving jobs, but have you heard of Amazon Flex?
You work as an independent contractor, get to choose your own schedule, make around $18 to $25 an hour, and your paycheck is deposited weekly.
But the one small drawback is that you need to be near one of their warehouses, they’re currently looking for drivers in:
- Akron (OH)
- Columbia (SC)
- Philadelphia & Youngstown (PA)
- Port St. Lucie & Vero Beach (FL)
- Yonkers, Bronx, and White Plains (NY)
But if you don’t live near an Amazon warehouse, you can still find ways to make money driving.
5. Publish an eBook on KDP Publishing
Here’s another job for the creative types, writing eBooks and selling them on Amazon.
Kindle Direct Publishing, or KDP as its called is Amazon’s self-publishing platform to create and sell your own books.
This used to be solely eBooks, but have expanded into Paperback and audiobook choices too.
Amazon has a video and text explanation on how to get started.
It’s free to publish a book on Amazon.
Amazon KDP offers extra services such as marketing, converting to paperback or audiobook, and more.
Your royalties will depend on which royalty option you chose, the 35% or the 70% royalty option.
The difference between the two:
|35% Royalty||70% Royalty|
|· Applies to all books in any sales territory||· Limited to certain sales territories|
|· Calculated 35% x Book Price||· Calculated 70% x Book Price – Delivery Cost|
|· No Delivery Costs||· Delivery costs = Book MB size x Delivery rate (depending on sales territory)
|Book listed at $1.99||Book on Amazon UK is listed £1.99|
|Your royalty is 70¢||Your royalty is £1.09 ($1.31 USD)|
|0.35 x $1.99 = 0.06965¢||0.70 x (£1.99 – £0.33 VAT- £0.10 Delivery Cost) = £1.09|
How much you can make with eBooks depends on the topic of your book and its popularity.
Like with Merch, most of the work would be in the beginning when you’re writing it and then formatting it for upload.
After that it’s passive earnings.
You can improve your sales by increasing your marketing and share your book link across all your social media platforms.
A bonus tip – include your book’s link in your email signature for more exposure.
Your eBook will sell if it’s well-written and this reference book will help you to do just that.
6. Sell your Homemade Goods
If you’re a crafter or artist, you can sell your homemade products on Amazon Handmade.
Sell your unique handmade products directly to Amazon customers without the hassle of marketing, storing large inventory, and it only costs a 15% referral fee.
Amazon Handmade now has an application process and is pretty fairly straightforward – Enter your basic information, describe your production process in detail, and provide photos of the products you create.
There are some strict acceptance rules, such as:
- You are an artisan working alone, with family, or a small group (smaller than 20 people)
- Only products designed and produced by you or your small group accepted
- Products cannot be mass produced or outsourced
- No digital products, food or grocery items, or electronic accessories permitted.
- No copyright or trademark infringements allowed
- Products must fit the follow categories: Handmade beauty and personal care items, handmade jewelry and watches, handmade pet supplies, and handmade clothing, shoes and handbags.
Amazon still reserves the right to remove a product from your listing at any time.
Right now, registering for a Professional selling account on Handmade is free until January 1st 2020, after that it’s $39.99 a month.
But you can get a free account if you primarily sell on Handmade and doesn’t have more than 40 items listed in non-handmade categories in any given month.
How much can an artisan make on Amazon Handmade depends on what you make and the listing price.
Artisans who sold jewelry have reported their earnings to be $350 – $950 from a few weeks of sales.
7. Sell Products on Amazon (That You Bought Elsewhere)
You might notice on Amazon listings the various vendors offering the same product but maybe at different prices.
These vendors often buy products at warehouse prices and then list them on Amazon for a profit.
There are many dropshipping companies out there and you just need to do some homework on which products are popular and your competitors’ prices to see which products would be worth your time.
Do be careful though, Amazon does not like listings directly from dropshippers because of the unreliable shipping times or availability.
It’s best to have the inventory on hand yourself before you list them, or open an Amazon FBA account.
How much money can you make being a vendor on Amazon again depends on the product, its demand, and other factors such as customer reviews and so on.
Googling online the statistics revealed that:
- 9% of FBA vendors earned less than $10,000 a year
- 7% of FBA vendors earned between $10,000 – $100,000 a year
- 6% of FBA vendors earned between $100,000 – $1 million a year
Compare that with those selling on eBay:
- 3% of eBay sellers earned less than $10,000 a year
- 3% of eBay sellers earned between $10,000 – $100,000 a year
- 5% of eBay sellers earned between $100,000 – $1 million a year
This Frugal for Less post explains this process further.
8. Use Amazon Rewards Card
Maybe you want an even more passive way to earn money instead.
You can earn passively on Amazon by shopping with the Amazon Rewards credit card.
This card is offered through the Chase bank and has no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee.
You can even receive a free $50 Amazon Gift Card upon application approval.
How much cash can you get back depends on where you shopped:
- 3% cash-back points on all Amazon.com purchases
- 3% cash-back points on all Whole Foods Market purchases
- 2% cash-back points at restaurants, gas stations, and drug stores
- 1% cash-back points on all other purchases made.
You can redeem these cash-back points on your Amazon purchases.
Let’s see a typical week of shopping:
- Average restaurant meal for one person $13 = 26¢ cash-back
- Average week’s groceries (Whole Foods) $170 = $5.10 cash-back
- Average cost of gasoline ($2.64 x 15-gallon tank) $39.60 = 79¢ cash-back
- Average Amazon purchase $47 = 94¢ cash-back
In one week, you have made $7.09 cash-back!
Keep this up every week and you’ve saved up enough to shop for your Christmas gifts on Amazon pretty much for free!
9. Work Remotely in their Customer Service Department
If you rather have a more predictable paycheck and schedule, you can apply to be a remote customer service representative for Amazon.
An Amazon remote customer service representative can make about $23,000 a year.
You’ll need to apply for these jobs of course, and their requirements are:
- High School graduate
- Communication skills
- Computer knowledge/skills
- Customer service skills
- Problem solving skills
Amazon is ranked 6th on the list of “100 Top Companies with Remote Jobs” in 2019.
In 2018, Amazon had 90,000 remote employees.
If you’re new to remote work, I suggest asking yourself if you’re ready for a remote position as sometimes it’s not as easy as it sounds.
10. Get Free (or Almost Free) Amazon Products
This last method isn’t exactly for earning money, but you are still receiving Amazon products for free or with deep discounts.
Free products is great, isn’t it?
You simply sign up on an Amazon review site such as:
The basis of these review sites is to give you free (or heavily discounted) items from Amazon to personally test out and in exchange you give them your honest product review.
Each review site is different, but the types of products you can try out include:
- Outdoor furniture and equipment
- Electronics, Computer accessories, cellphone accessories
- Food and Drinks
- Clothing, Fashion accessories, etc.
Many of the review sites require you to have an Amazon account and some even require you to have several social media accounts such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
How much can you “make” depends on the product you’re reviewing, I went through some of the products offered and listed their “actual” prices:
- Men’s Outdoor Sports Bluetooth Watch – On Amazon $36.99, on Home Product Testing $25.82
- Women’s Thermal Zip-Up Hoodie – On Amazon $69.99 , on Snagshout $14.00
- Galaxy Note 10 Pro Case – On Amazon $9.99, on Jumpsend 90¢
Since I’m not a member, I couldn’t access the freebies offered on these sites, but as you can see, there are many great deals to be had here already.
These are just 10 ways to get started with making money through Amazon.
As you’ve read, you can make a little or a lot of money from the various options.
These jobs are flexible enough that you can combine several of them together to fit your schedule and make a decent amount.
For example, a stay at home parent can:
- Work as a Flex Driver 3 days a week while the kids are at school (10am – 2pm) $216 a week.
- Work on mTurk for 4 hours, 2 days a week $48 a week.
- Published 2 eBooks about parenting (and working on a 3rd in spare time) $200 a month.
- Uses the Amazon Reward card for a month’s purchases $30.72 in cash-back a month.
That’s $1,256 in a month plus $30 in Amazon savings!
Thanks for reading and happy frugaling.