Want to Earn Some Extra Money?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short time. Join LifePoints Now For a 10 Point Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
Southwest Airlines is known for their cheaper than average flights along with their no cancellation fee policy. I frequently use them for flights from Spokane to New York, mostly because I can usually save a few hundred dollars compared to other airlines.
Even though you’re getting a large amount of savings, there’s still a way to save an extra 12%. Just be sure to follow the steps in order on this guide in order to get the highest amount of savings.
1. Get A Discover It Card
There’s no annual fee and you get 1% cash back on all purchases and 5% cash back on certain purchases based on rotating categories that change quarterly. Due to their special promotion, however it’s going to be 2% – 10% cash back on all purchases (1% – 5% cash back x 2 = 2% – 10% cash back).
This promotion only lasts until the end of July 2015, so make sure to act quickly and apply. Here’s a quick glance at the card:
- No annual fee
- 1% cash back on all purchases
- 5% cash back on certain categories that rotate quarterly
- One of the best online shopping portals: Discover Deals
- First late payment waived
- Cash back never expires and can be used at Amazon checkout
- Overnight shipping for lost or stolen replacement cards
2. Buy Southwest Gift Cards
We’re going to be buying Southwest Gift Card on an Amazon at a discount – 10% off. From the months of July – September, Discover gives you 5% cash back on all purchases made at Amazon. With the Double Cash Back Promotion, this increases to 10%.
So if you buy a $100 Southwest Gift Card On Amazon, you’re going to be getting $10 dollars of that back in your Discover account within 30 days. This $10 cash back can be used toward future purchases or deposited directly into your bank account.
When you purchase your Southwest flight, use your gift card instead of a credit card. Amazon also has the option of sending your gift card electronically so you only have to wait about an hour or so before receiving it. The remaining 2% that we can get back can be done in the next step.
3. Use A Cash Back Portal
Cash back portals are online websites that partner with thousands of online retailers and display affiliate links. Each time someone uses their affiliate links to make a purchase, they earn a commission and give a portion of that to whoever made the purchase (in this case you).
Here are 3 quick steps on how to get started with Extrabux. While it may seem like a long process right now, once you get your account setup it will be easy and quick the next time.
2. Search for Southwest. Once you login to your new Extrabux account, search for Southwest in the search bar. You’ll see that from the image below, you can earn 2% cash back off of all purchases made on Southwest.com. Click on the “Start Shopping” button and you’ll be automatically redirected to the Southwest page.
3. Make your purchase. Just make your flight purchase like you normally would. Extrabux places a cookie on your computer so that it remembers whether you buy a ticket using their link or not. Just be sure to use your Southwest Gift Card that you bought on Amazon!
Once you get enough cash back in your Extrabux account you can cash out. You need a minimum of $20 dollars.
What If I Missed The Double Cash Back Promotion?
The Discover Double Cash Back Deal only lasts until the end of July 2015. However, you can still get 7% cash back on all Southwest purchases by using an Amazon Prime Store Card + the Extrabux cash back portal.
The Amazon Prime Store Card gives you 5% cash back on all purchases made on Amazon. For a limited time, they’re offering a $40 dollar gift card to all new members. Using this 5% cash back when purchasing a Southwest Gift Card plus going through the portal at 2% cash back gives you 7%. Still not a bad deal.
Make sure to follow all of the steps in order to get the maximum amount of cash back for all your Southwest purchases. Keep in mind that you can use cash back portals for other retailers online as well. If you want to know about the top 10 portals on the web, I suggest this article here. Here are some other articles I recommend for saving money:
- 16.5% Off All Amazon Purchases
- 18.5% Off Amazon Purchases With The Discover It Card
- How To Save 12% On All Purchases at Walmart
- Save 20% On All Purchases At Lowe’s
- How To Save 24% On All Macy’s Purchases
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them in the section below. Thanks for reading and happy frugaling!
My name is Jason Wuerch and I'm currently located in Madrid, Spain running a personal finance blog called Frugal For Less. My goal is to help everyone and anyone willing to make and save money through easy and simple ways that don't require much effort. Just because you're frugal doesn't mean you have to give up life's luxuries.