Want to Earn Some Extra Money?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short time. Join LifePoints Now For a 10 Point Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
For those of you who don’t know about Perk TV, it’s a mobile app that allows you to earn cash by simply watching videos. We’ve already discussed how we can use this app to generate an income of around $150/month almost passively.
Each time you watch a video, you are awarded points which can be exchanged for gift cards to retailers such as Amazon & Walmart, or you could exchange them for cool prizes. Now these points can be used to load a prepaid debit card that works just like cash.
What Is Perk Plastik?
Perk Plastik is a prepaid, Discover debit card that you can load with Perk Points. These Perk Points get converted into cash, and you can use the card at any place that accepts Discover credit cards. You shouldn’t have a problem with this, as Discover is accepted at over 9.6 million retailers nationwide and has a strong international base as well.
While Perk is available in other countries (Australia, UK, Canada, Japan, & India), they currently only allow US citizens to apply for Perk Plastik. You must have a verifiable social security number to get one. When requesting Perk Plastik, it should take around 7-10 business days to receive.
How Do I Apply For Perk Plastik?
Applying for the card is very simple and can be done in 3 steps.
1. In the menu on the Perk App, click the tab that says “Get Your Card.”
2. Tap on “Order Perk Plastik” and fill out the following information. Wait 7 – 10 business days to receive it.
3. Add money when you have enough Perk Points available to your card. Swipe it at retailers, enter your pin, and you’ll find that you can use it just like any other debit card.
How Does It Compare To Other Rewards?
Perk Plastik actually has a pretty good redemption value. On average, when you claim points for a gift card, the exchange is 1,000 points to $1 dollar (we’ll call this 100% redemption). With Perk Plastik, it’s at about 91%. This isn’t bad, considering that choosing to redeem to PayPal is at most 85%.
If you don’t want to go through the hassle of selling your gift card online and want to use your funds almost immediately, Perk Plastik is the way to go. Furthermore, each time you add funds, it only takes up to 20 minutes before cash is loaded. Gift cards, on the other hand, are awarded every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Are there any fees?
Just for getting a card, there aren’t any fees. However, a replacement card is $5 dollars and if you request a monthly statement, that’s an extra $7 dollars. Basically, you’re not going to be paying any extra. The funds on your card never expire and there’s no credit check since it’s a debit card.
If you want to use Perk Plastik at a gas station, you’re going to find it difficult unless you prepay inside beforehand. I’ve tried swiping it as debit and credit, and neither of them work unless I see the cashier. You can check your balance any time by logging into the Perk App (I tend to use Perk Wallet).
If you have any questions or thoughts about using Perk Plastik, let us know if the comments below. After using it for a week, it feels like I never have to spend money anymore, since I’m just using it to buy things I normally would. Thanks for reading any happy frugaling!
My name is Jason Wuerch and I'm currently located in Madrid, Spain running a personal finance blog called Frugal For Less. My goal is to help everyone and anyone willing to make and save money through easy and simple ways that don't require much effort. Just because you're frugal doesn't mean you have to give up life's luxuries.