Want to Earn Some Extra Money?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short time. Join LifePoints Now For a 10 Point Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
Who doesn’t like free money? If you’re ever curious about where you can find free money this article is for you. You can employ a variety of ways to get cash for almost no work at all.
Fifteen different ways are listed:
1. Shopping Apps
This is the easiest way to get free cash just for doing your regular shopping. Whether it’s for clothes, school supplies, gas, or groceries. Almost everything you purchase can give you cash back.
How easy is that?
Here are my favorite shopping apps:
- Ibotta – $10 free for sign up and $5 for referring a friend
- ShopKick – 250 kicks ($1) and 250 kicks ($1) per friend referral
- BerryCart – $2 for signing up and $2 per friend
- TopCashBack – $10 free sign up bonus and $10 each friend you refer
2. Survey Apps
This is the second easiest way to earn free cash. Just answer surveys (and sometimes other tasks) in your spare time and make money.
Some of the best survey sites are:
- Survey Junkie – make about $12 an hour in free money
- Swagbucks – $10 sign up bonus plus make about $10 an hour
- InoxDollars – $5 free for sign up and about $5 an hour
- MySurvey – $20 sign up bonus plus about $3 an hour
3. Open a Bank Account
Check out some online banks for any incentives for opening a new account with them. Many offer cash bonuses on new accounts. Be sure to check their requirements for receiving this bonus and any fine print for any “hidden” requirements you may not want.
Some local banks offer this cash bonus too, so be sure to shop around and see what’s available out there.
As of August 2018, these free bank account bonuses include:
- Chase Bank – $50 to $500 bonus
- Citibank – $100 to $700 bonus
- Bank of America – $50 to $500 bonus
- KeyBank – $100 to $5,000 bonus
4. Install ShopTracker
ShopTracker will track all your Amazon purchases and you can make $3 a month as a Visa e-gift card by email. Every time you shop on Amazon, ShopTracker logs it and you earn another free $3.
That’s $36 dollars a year for doing your regular shopping online. That’s a good way to earn without needing to think about it.
5. Download Acorns
Download the Acorns app and set it up to transfer your change to a savings account. Acorns will round up to the nearest dollar of every purchase you make without any further work from you.
Not only will you get a free $5 bonus, but if you’re a heavy debit or credit card user, let’s say you make 5 transactions a day, it’s possible to make $17.50 in a week (5 transactions X 50¢ saved each transaction X 7 days).
6. Donate Plasma
Want free money for sitting around for two hours? Donate your plasma at the nearest center and make $20 to $50 a visit.
You can donate twice a week with at least 48 hours between donations. Your subsequent visits will only be 90 minutes long. Making $40 to $100 a week for 3 ½ hours of sitting down is not bad at all.
7. Unclaimed Money
One of the littlest known ways to find free money is by checking with your local, state, or national government. There’s an estimated $42 Billion dollars in unclaimed money.
If a government agency, business, or employer owes you money but can’t find your current mailing address, these funds go into an unclaimed account. Some of the reasons why you might be owed money can include: utility deposits, uncashed paychecks, lost savings bonds, safety deposit box contents, and unclaimed insurance benefit to name a few.
You can look for yours at:
- Your State .gov page and search for unclaimed money (don’t forget other states where you’ve lived too)
Be sure not to fall for many of the online websites that charge a fee for finding money for you. Finding money is for free on federal and state websites so don’t pay some scam company to do it for you.
8. Class Action Suits
This isn’t a quick way to get free money, but it’s free money just for filling your name and address.
For example, if you bought Bertolli olive oil, and you still have a receipt, you can claim $8.75 per product bought.
You can even subscribe to their newsletters and get updates on new “free money” too.
Free money for taking selfies? Yep, it’s been determined that every third photo taken by those aged 18 to 24 is a selfie. A company called Pay Your Selfie that will pay for you to take selfies in different locations and your first $1 is of yourself.
They use the information in the photos to help companies do marketing in different parts of the country based off of demographic data (age, gender, race, etc.).
10. Junk Mail
Get free money from all your junk mail and spam emails! A company called Small Business Knowledge Center will award points for each junk and email item and once you’ve earned 2,000 points, you will be sent a $20 Visa gift card.
Send in junk mail on credit cards, insurance companies, cell phone companies, drugstores, food ads and so many more.
Another great app to download and not worry about anything else. Paribus monitors all your accounts and email receipts and will notify you if there were any price differences and will request a credit on your behalf.
A little bit of money back from your previous purchases is still free money.
12. Reward Credit Cards
You can get free money in three different ways with a reward credit card.
First, many offer sign up bonuses, but be sure to read the requirements to gain this bonus (One card requires you to spend $2,000 in 90 days to get a $300 bonus).
Second, you get cash back on all your different purchases – 1% to 3% depending on the card. (Combine this with your cash back apps for even more free money back).
Third, transfer all your existing credit card debts onto a new card – preferably one with 0% interest. You’ll save a lot in interest payments.
Some great credit cards are:
- Vital Credit Card – 1% cash back plus other rewards and bonuses
- Amazon Card – 1% to 3% cash back plus other rewards
- Discover It – 2% to 10% cash back plush other rewards and benefits
13. Sell Stuff
This will take a little more work to get your free money, but it also rewards you with a cleaner and roomier living space.
Go through all your rooms and closets and collect anything you don’t’ want, don’t need or are broken. Then either sell them, donate them, or toss them out. Let’s look at where we can sell our stuff:
- Have a Yard Sale – It’s possible to get a few hundred dollars for one weekend’s work.
- Amazon Trade-In Program – Trade in your old books, electronics, tablets, games and more.
- Classifieds – List on your local online buy, sell and trade pages and Craigslist.
- Pawn Shops – There’s several in every town, go in and sell almost anything.
14. At Work
Not exactly free money here, but it’s still your money that’s due to you if you follow these suggestions.
Check your W4s – Ask human resources to check what’s being withheld on your W4 and adjust accordingly. Did you gain a new dependent? Divorce? Have a second job? There are so many claims you can make.
Check your Salary – If you’ve been working a number of years, received more education or professional development, or gained more work responsibilities, maybe it’s time to compare your current job salary to what you should actually be earning. Do your research and then approach your employer about a fair raise.
Ask for a Promotion – Been at the same level for a long time? Maybe it’s time for a change – more challenges, more responsibilities, different department, etc. Ask around for any openings in your company and approach for a promotion.
15. Government Assistance
I know these don’t count as “free” money. But if you’re within a certain income bracket and you’re struggling, there is money available to help you with a variety of needs.
A few of these are:
- Unemployment Insurance – Got the pink slip? Apply for unemployment insurance while looking for another job. Qualifications include – unemployed through no fault of yours, length and income of previous work, and actively seeking work.
- Social Security and Disability – We all think Social Security is for retirement, but you can also receive Supplemental Security Income and Social Security Disability Insurance when you are still of working age and cannot earn a regular wage.
- Federal Worker’s Compensation – If you got injured at work or suffer from an occupational disease you can claim Worker’s Compensation. If you work for a private corporation, state agency, or local government agency make a claim to your state workers’ compensation board.
- Food Assistance – Many states offer 3 kinds of food assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program(SNAP) or food stamps, Women, Infant and Children (WIC), and the National School Lunch Program.
- Child Care Assistance – Offer income-based financial assistance to pay for your childcare bills so more of your income can be used for other essential monthly expenses.
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) – For families experiencing financial hardships, you may receive food, child care, housing assistance, and much more.
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance – Will provide the necessary funds to ensure you stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- Many others
There may be a level of pride in not wanting assistance like this, but when in hard times, any bit helps. Check your state’s .gov website for exact qualifications on each program.
16. Have Blooom Manage Your 401k
Blooom manages your 401k and automatically helps you automize your fund choices and reduce any hidden fees that they might find. Is it worth it? This is the only option on the list that includes a fee: you have to pay $10/month. Keep in mind you can cancel at any time.
However, it’s worth taking a look at since Blooom will analyze your current investment situation at no cost. This way they can tell you where you can improve in your current portfolio allocation.
While Blooom is an excellent investment option, we understand if you don’t want to pay any monthly fee to have someone manage your investments. If that’s the case, we recommend Acorns that gives you a $5 bonus to get started.
Many of these fifteen ways to get free money take almost no work at all to complete. Do you have other ideas to get free money that’s not listed here? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy frugaling!