WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Vindale Research: One of the best survey sites on the web. Earn up to $50 per survey. Join Vindale Research Now & Get a $1 Bonus
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- Ibotta: Earn cash back when you take pictures of receipts and shop online. Get a $10 bonus when you sign-up using our link and claim your first offer. Join Ibotta Now to Get $10
Are you looking for save money ideas for vacation? So, you’ve saved up for your vacation but you’re wondering how you can get the most bang for your buck and continue to save money while on vacation.
No matter what you’re planning to do or who you’re planning to vacation with, there are ways to reduce your costs while traveling. Keep reading to learn about these 10 ways to save money on your vacation.
Planning Your Trip
Now, prior to actually taking your vacation, there are a ton of ways to trim your costs in the planning stages. Check out these wallet-pleasing ideas:
1. Travel Domestically
Domestic travel is far cheaper than international travel in most cases. From the cost of flights to resort costs, you can save big if you vacation domestically.
Here are some reasons why:
- International vacation trips are usually longer and a longer vacation equals more cost
- Domestic flights are typically cheaper than international flights
Does this make sense? There’s nothing wrong with splurging on an international travel destination but you won’t save more money that way.
If you do take an international getaway, here are some tips to help keep your costs down:
- Travel to destinations with favorable exchange rates
- Book well in advance
- Try staying in a hostel
Looking for inspiration for cheap travel destinations? Take a look at these 10 cheap vacation ideas to save you money.
2. Set Price Alerts
When booking your flight or hotel, set price alerts. You can create custom alerts for booking engines like Kayak that will email you when the price drops. This is a good way to keep an eye on flight and hotel prices. After you book, just remember to turn off the alerts.
3. Open a Vacation Fund
Your vacation fund is a separate bank account you’ll open, dedicated to your savings just for vacation. Separating your vacation money from other income and savings makes it easy to manage, monitor growth, and avoids any overspending mishaps that may happen if your vacation savings was combined in another account.
How to do it?
Simple. Go to your bank of choice and open a bank account. Then, set a direct deposit from your paycheck to go right into the vacation fund.
This way you can save painlessly with very little maintenance required. You can set aside $100 per paycheck or any amount you want and watch your vacation fund grow!
4. Cut Back on Your Food Budget
There are some expenses that are more difficult to be cut, like rent, while others may have some room to work with. Your food budget can be easily controlled in a number of ways. Here are some tips to help you lower your food expenses.
First, look at your monthly budget to uncover how much you spend in food costs every month. Next, aim to trim that amount by 30% or more. Here’s how you can do it:
- Make a shopping list
- Shop sales
- Use apps like Ibotta for cash back from scanning your grocery receipt
- Cut back on food-related events like, dinner with friends, morning coffees on the go, etc.
- Shop produce that’s in season
- Save up to 40% cash back by shopping at Safeway
- Try one of these 10 money-saving apps for saving on groceries
- Buy in bulk
- Shop at farmers markets
Try these money-saving tactics to whittle down your grocery bill.
5. Make Some Extra Money With Your Car
Put your car to work. While you’re at your 9 to 5, your car is just sitting there, parked in the parking garage or parking lot of your employer. Try Hyrecar and rent out your car while you’re not using it to make up to $1,200 extra!
6. Make Some Extra Money With Your Pad
Put your your home to work, making money while you’re away at work, on vacation, on travel or not! AirBNB is a great form of supplemental income.
Many hosts rent their AirBNB as their primary source of income. There is tons of support from the company and tons of forums and groups on social media where you can get tips, best practices, and help with your questions.
Interested in breaking into this passive income stream? Learn more about AirBNB here.
7. Pick Up a Side Job
Increasing your income is a great way to help you save money and save faster! Here are some extra income ideas you’ll like:
- Ask for overtime at your job
- Make $600+ monthly with these online survey gigs
- Pick up an extra $753 per year with these passive income programs
- Hunt garage sales for items to flip on Ebay
- Deliver food with Door Dash or UberEATS
- Teach English online
- Grocery delivery with Instacart
- Run errands with Postmates
- Get paid for your skills by freelancing on Upwork
Need more inspiration? Check out 22 more best second jobs perfect for extra income.
8. Save on Housing Expenses
Your housing expenses will be arguably, the biggest expense you have. There are ways to lower this expense without having to haggle with your landlord or mortgage lender.
- Get roommates
- Move back in with your parents
Downsizing will probably be the easiest transition from the bunch on the list. This means getting a smaller place. A smaller place usually means lower housing costs in the form of a lower housing payment and lower utility costs.
Downsizing might mean that you have to get rid of some stuff but that contributes to the overall goal of saving for your vacation. So, less stuff can mean more money, too!
Getting roommates will chop your housing expenses down fast. Instead of you being solely responsible for all the home expenses, you’ll be splitting rent, utilities, and other costs with one or more roommates.
This may not be long-term but you can enjoy the savings from splitting the costs and put that money toward your vacation fund!
Move back in with your parents. This one might make you roll your eyes but it’s not as bad as it might seem. You’ll get to see your folks more and enjoy lower housing costs.
Many people, couples, and families move in with family to save for big expenses like vacation, moving, buying a house, etc. Don’t rule this one out.
If these 3 options are not an option for you, here are some ways to lower your housing expenses:
- Call your utility providers to negotiate a lower bill
- Cut out cable
- Do home maintenance (like changing air filters and doing maintenance on your A/C and appliances)
- Rent out spare rooms with HomeAway or AirBNB
9. Sell Your Stuff
It’s likely that unless you are living a minimalist lifestyle, you have stuff available to sell. Go through your stuff and filter out your goods that can be sold. Here are some ideas:
- Older or unused electronics
- Small appliances
- Regifted gifts
- Home decor
There are many ways to sell your stuff. You can take goods like apparel and shoes to your local consignment store.
You can host a garage sale. Selling home goods like appliances and decor items can be sold on sites like LetGo or local garage sale Facebook groups. Toys, clothes, electronics and other items can be sold online at auction on sites like Ebay.
10. Find Deals for Your Vacation
You can find some amazing discounts and lock in an affordable price for travel and accommodation in advance, taking the worry out of finding a good price close to your vacation start time.
For Your Cruise
Try out Cruise Sheet, as seen on Thrillist, Lifehacker and more. You’ll be able to find amazing cruise deals worldwide. You’re going to like the streamlined design and user-friendly interface.
It’s so simple to check out what you like, cruise around the site (pun intended) and scoop up a great deal.
For Shows, Tours and other Activities
One of the most important parts of your vacation is the entertainment. Going to shows, concerts, and tours can be expensive. With Travel Zoo, they are one of the few travel booking agents that show you deals for entertainment too!
You can search for deals in any city, even last minute! Don’t forget to check out the flash deals too.
For Small Group Tours
Best Travel Tips
Once you’ve met your savings goal and confirmed you are going on vacation, you won’t want to forget these incredible travel savings tips:
- Book your trip at least 7 days in advance
- Look into booking direct with the airline
- Travel in low season (avoid peak times)
- Book airport parking in advance
- Avoid pricey rental car costs by walking or taking public transportation
- Lower your baggage fees with these wearable luggage ideas
Hopefully you found some good ideas in this roundup of save money ideas for vacation. Vacation is something that can be enjoyed by most, especially if you plan in advance to save for your big trip.
Now, to you!
What do you do to save for an upcoming vacation?