WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 Point Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
At some point or another, you’re likely to replace your old cell phone. There’s always great new models coming out, so changing things up can definitely be fun. But don’t let your old cell phone collect dust in a drawer.
You can easily sell used cell phones online to make an instant profit.
There are several different web-based companies that buy used smartphones and other electronics. In this post, I’ll cover 10 different places that you can sell your used cell phone online. With each company, I’ll discuss the payout options and time, potential earnings, and more.
(To make the comparisons fair, I’ll use the 32 GB Samsung Galaxy S7 in ‘good’ condition for each website. If the website requires a phone carrier to be listed, I will use Verizon Wireless.)
Gazelle is one of the most well-known online companies that buy electronics. They’ve been in business since 2008, and you’ve likely seen their commercials at some point in time. From the latest iPhones to older phones, Gazelle buys a pretty broad variety of products.
You can get paid via check, PayPal, or Amazon gift card. You ship the phone to Gazelle for free. According to their FAQ, you are paid “quickly” after Gazelle confirms the condition of the phone. You may also have an ecoATM kiosk near you where you can sell the phone immediately.
I was offered $140 for the Samsung Galaxy S7. Additionally, I was offered $20 in store credit to use at Gazelle.com.
uSell is another popular and reputable online marketplace for buying and selling used electronics. The website was launched in 2010. The idea for the site came from the company’s owner having difficulty selling on eBay in previous years. uSell connects you with companies that are willing to buy your phone.
You can get paid via check or PayPal. Your payment will be issued within five days of the buyer company receiving your device.
I was offered $153 for the Samsung Galaxy S7. uSell matched me with a buyer website called The Whiz Cells. I also had the option of choosing to sell for $141.95 to Fair Trade.
The Amazon Trade-In program allows you to submit used items in exchange for an Amazon gift card. When you provide information about your used cell phone, you receive an immediate offer. Shipping your item to Amazon is free, too. Once you send in your used phone, you’ll receive an e-mail with two business days telling you whether it was accepted or rejected.
According to the Amazon Trade-In FAQ, it can take up to 10 business days for Amazon to receive your items. This does not include the two business days mentioned above. If your used cell phone is accepted, you’ll receive payment through your gift card balance on Amazon.
Amazon is not currently accepting Samsung Galaxy S7 phones on the Verizon Wireless network. However, they will pay up to $150.05 for an unlocked version and $130.05 for an AT&T version.
SellCell.com was founded in 2008, and they’ve certainly gained traction since then. This company offers a unique Best Price Guarantee. This means that if you find a higher price within 24 hours, sellcell.com will pay you two times the difference. That’s a pretty impressive promise.
Different sellcell.com buyers offer different payment types. Most offer to pay via check or PayPal, but some may offer other forms of payment. The time it takes to get your money depends on the buyer you choose. Under Payment Questions in the FAQ, you can learn more about this.
SellCell.com matched me with five different buyers. The highest offer was $218 and the lowest offer was $140.
BuyBack World is a website where you can buy and sell used phones, iPads, and gift cards. The platform has been in business since 2009. When you sell your phone, you get either a free shipping label or a free shipping kit.
You can choose to be paid by check or by PayPal. According to the BuyBackWorld FAQ, you’ll get paid via Paypal 2-3 days after your cell phone is inspected. If you are paid by check, you’ll get paid 3-10 days after your cell phone is inspected.
For a Samsung Galaxy S7 in “Average” condition, I was offered $150. For one in “Excellent” condition, I was offered $165.
eBay is the Internet’s go-to marketplace for selling tons of new and used items. If you choose them to sell your used cell phone, you have two options. You can create your own listing or you can use eBay Valet. eBay Valet does all of the legwork for you; you just wait to get paid.
You are paid via PayPal when your item sells. Furthermore, you pick the price you want to sell your used cell phone for. You can host an auction where buyers bid and also offer a ‘buy it now’ option. It’s free to use the basic listing options, and eBay takes 10% of the total sale amount.
eBay offers a tool where you can see what your item is worth. According to this tool, a Samsung Galaxy S7 from Verizon sells for anywhere between $180 to $270.
ItsWorthMore is a convenient marketplace where you can sell your used cell phone, tablet, iPod, iPad, other Apple products, laptop, and more. Their website is full of positive customer feedback that seems very genuine. The company promises fast payment for eligible items.
You’ll be paid via check or PayPal for your used cell phone. ItsWorthMore notes that you will be responsible for the fees associated with PayPal – approximately 3% of your earnings. If your used cell phone meets the requirements for the offer you were made, you’ll get paid within 72 hours of the company receiving your phone.
For the Galaxy S7, I was offered $155. After I selected ‘Good’ as the option, I answered a series of questions about the phone’s condition. Keep in mind that these details may cause the price to vary.
NextWorth is a website that buys electronics like cell phones, portable audio devices, wearable devices, tablets, laptops, iPads, and cameras. The layout of the site is simple and user-friendly; it took me about one minute or less to get a quote. The company has been in business since 2005.
You can get paid via a check in the mail or PayPal deposit. According to the NextWorth FAQ, the company aims to inspect your used cell phone within four business days of receiving it. They pay via check with 4-5 business days of completed inspection and via PayPal within two business days of completed inspection.
Before I received a quote for the Samsung Galaxy S7, I answered a series of questions about it. I based my answers on the ‘Good’ rating found on other websites. With these answers, I received an offer of $140.
You’re likely familiar with Craigslist; one of the website’s great features is that you can buy and sell a huge variety of items. Craigslist takes no fees and you can easily find the page for your city or county. If you sell a used cell phone on Craigslist, you set your own price and can meet the buyer in person. That means 100% of the profit goes to you.
You can get paid instantly by the buyer in cash when you meet up to sell your used cell phone.
Your earnings are totally up to you! I suggest searching for the name of your phone in the electronics category. See what others are selling the same phone for, and price it competitively. You can also base your price on some of the websites on this list.
There are a few different ways to sell your used cell phone on Facebook. You can post about it directly to your Facebook Wall; this will allow your Facebook Friends to see it. For more exposure, post about it in local ‘for sale’ or ‘swap and shop’ groups. Use those keywords and similar search times. You’ll post an ad similar to how you would on Craigslist.
If you decide to meet up with a buyer in person, you can get paid instantly in cash. Some people do choose to ship their items and get paid via PayPal if the buyer is in another city. That should be done at your own discretion and with caution.
Once again, how much you earn is completely up to you. Follow the advice from the Craigslist section above; do some searching to find out how much your used cell phone is worth. You can price it however you want, but a competitive/lower price will certainly attract more buyers.
Tips For Selling Your Used Cell Phone
Before I wrap things up, I want to offer a few quick tips. These tips are A) to ensure that you get the best payout possible and B) that you complete transactions safely. Keep these thoughts in mind:
- If you have questions about the selling process, get answers before shipping in your cell phone. For example, you may want to know what happens to your phone if you change your mind once it’s shipped. Many sites will not send your phone back, and you will have to sell it. Read their FAQ sections or e-mail support to answer all of your questions prior to shipping. This will ensure you get what you want out of the transaction.
- For sites like eBay, Craigslist, and Facebook, you’ll need to take high-quality photos. I’ve sold items on eBay, Etsy, Craigslist, Facebook, and more. One thing I’ve learned is that good photos of your product can make or break a sale. You don’t need a super fancy camera. Just make sure the photos are taken in clear, natural lighting. Take several photos from different angles.
- Be honest when selling to used electronic buying sites. Being honest about the condition of your used cell phone is important. If you get an offer based on ‘Good’ condition, but it’s actually in poor condition, you’ll get a lower offer. Worst case scenario, your cell phone may not even be worth buying. So make sure you follow the site’s guidelines about the phone’s condition.
- Use practical safety measures when meeting buyers in person. If you’re selling to someone in person, always take a friend or a family member with you. Meeting during the day in a public, populated area. Make sure another friend or a family member has some details about the buyer, too. You can never be too careful!
- Shop around to find the highest buyout; your patience will pay off. As you can see from this post, the selling price can fluctuate quite a bit for one item. Make sure to shop around to see what the best offers are. Sure, it’ll take some extra time. But being patient will help you make the most money.
- If your sale on eBay, Craigslist, or Facebook isn’t successful, try again! In many cases, I’ve had to place new Craigslist ads with slightly lower prices. This is pretty common, but don’t let it bother you. You can also add something like “make an offer” in your first ad if you’re willing to take a lower price for your used cell phone.
It’s easy to see that you have a lot of options for selling used phones online. So check your junk drawers and keep this list handy next time you want to replace your phone. Why let your old cell phone sit around when it can be turned into instant cash? Depending on the condition and model, you may be able to earn well over $100.
Used cell phones aren’t the only thing you can easily get cash for. We have several articles covering this topic at Frugal For Less. Here are some of my top picks:
- How To Turn Your Furniture Into an Investment
- 8 Websites To Make Money Selling Gift Cards Online
- Top 8 Ways To Make Money Selling Makeup Online
Check out these posts and others in our Make Money section to see all of the unique ways that you can earn extra cash. Thanks for reading and happy frugaling!