WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- Vindale Research: One of the best survey sites on the web. Earn up to $50 per survey. Join Vindale Research Now & Get a $1 Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
Flexible part-time jobs are extremely in demand, so the gig economy trend is always growing. This makes it easier than ever to make extra money when it suits you best.
One popular and unique gig is being a Shopper for Shipt. Our Shipt Shopper review will help you discover what this side hustle is all about.
What Is Shipt?
Shipt is a grocery delivery service that is membership-based. Members order food and household essentials through Shipt, and Shipt Shoppers buy and deliver the items.
Members can even get same-day or next-hour deliveries. All orders are placed easily through the Shipt app, and Shoppers also use the app for seamless transactions.
Shipt hires independent contractors to fill Shopper positions, and the gig is very flexible for them. The service is available in over 260 cities and continues to expand each year.
What Does A Shipt Shopper Do?
Shipt Shoppers shop for groceries and deliver them to Shipt customers. There are no minimum or maximum hourly requirements, and you accept orders whenever it suits your schedule.
In the Shipt app, you list your available days, times, and time frames. You’ll receive offers for Shipt orders based on your availability.
To get a better idea of what Shoppers do, read this step-by-step outline that puts you right in a Shopper’s shoes. It includes details about what you see in the app, too.
- You receive Shipt order offers through the app, and the order shows the estimated pay per order based on how long it takes (typically one hour).
- The estimated pay per order is based on a flat fee, a percentage of the grocery costs, tips, and other factors we’ll cover.
- The order information contains the customer’s shopping list and a designated store in your area.
- Once you’re at the store, you shop for the items the customer needs.
- During the checkout process, you pay for the order using a Shipt prepaid card.
- Take a picture of the receipt to submit to Shipt.
- Pack up the groceries into an insulated cooler bag.
- Drive to the customer’s home to deliver the groceries.
That’s all there is to it, then you can continue accepting orders if you want to. If not, you simply pass on the order offer when it shows up in the app.
Shipt Shopper Pros And Cons
Every side gig like this has tons of pros and cons. We used several resources to create the lists below. They’re based on feedback written by Shipt Shoppers on job boards, forums, review sites, and more.
- You set your own schedule, so you work when it suits you.
- You choose the areas where you’d like to deliver.
- There are no minimum or maximum number of orders you have to accept.
- You keep 100% of the tips given to you.
- You can accept cash tips and tips through the app.
- You get paid on a weekly basis.
- Expenses like fuel and mileage aren’t covered.
- You’ll experience vehicle wear and tear.
- Independent contractors must pay self-employment taxes.
- Potential earnings are totally based on customer demand – you can experience slow days without many offers.
- You have to buy your own insulated bag for groceries.
Overall, these are pretty standard pros and cons for side jobs that involve driving and deliveries. You get to enjoy a ton of flexibility, earnings can be unpredictable, and you add wear to your car.
If the cons aren’t deal breakers for you, then being a Shipt Shopper may suit you well!
Shipt Shopper Requirements
Shipt has a few requirements you need to meet, and they’re pretty simple. Their website lists the following for Shoppers:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have auto insurance and valid driver’s license.
- Have a reliable vehicle that’s 1997 or newer.
- Be knowledgeable about selecting produce.
- Own an insulated cooler bag.
- Have the ability to lift at least 40 pounds.
- A smartphone, either an iPhone iOS 10 or newer or Android 5.1 or newer.
If you meet these requirements, you’re all set to apply for the gig. If needed, you can purchase an insulated cooler bag for about $5 and read a bit about selecting produce.
Shipt Shopper Application And Hiring Process
Applying to become a Shipt Shopper is fairly simple and quick. If your application is approved, you’ll move onto the hiring process.
We’ve outlined the entire application and hiring process step-by-step. This is what you can expect overall:
- Go to Shipt.com and click ‘Get Paid To Shop’. The link is at the top of the page on the navigation bar.
- Fill out the application with the required details. You’ll be asked for your name, address, and other standard job app details.
- If your application is approved, you’ll receive an email confirmation.
- Once you’re contacted, you’ll record a one-way video interview. You’re given some questions to answer, and you record your answers via webcam. Submit the video following the instructions given.
- If your video interview is approved, you’ll receive an email confirmation.
- Shipt runs a background check on all Shoppers before they’re hired. They use a third-party service called Checkr for this.
- Shipt requires you to provide proof of insurance, driver’s license, and a few more details. You’ll be told exactly what information to provide.
- Once this is done, sit back and wait for Shipt to contact you.
When Shipt is actively hiring, many reviews say they contact you within 24 to 48 hours of your application and interview.
Shipt says they’re currently hiring on an as-needed basis, so you may not start being a Shopper right away. It depends on your location and the demand for Shoppers in the area.
Once they’re ready for you to shop, you’ll receive a Shipt t-shirt and prepaid shopping card via mail.
How Much Do Shipt Shoppers Earn?
Shipt states that Shoppers can earn up to $22 per hour or more, but they note that results vary. Their estimate is based on data from Shoppers who have completed at least 30 orders.
It’s important to note that Shoppers are paid per order and not paid per hour. Pay per order is determined using a simple formula:
$5 flat rate + 7.5% of the total from the store receipt + potential bonuses + potential tips
This is used for all locations except for California, NYC, and Boston. The pay formula for those locations isn’t disclosed by Shipt.
Shipt Shoppers have reported limited time bonus offers they receive now and then. Here are some examples of the Shopper bonuses:
- $150 for completing 20 on-time orders over a six-day period
- $100 for completing 10 on-time orders over one weekend
- $500 for completing 30 on-time orders during your first two weeks as a Shopper
- ‘Promo pay’ is offered on unclaimed orders that are running close to their estimated delivery time.
Lastly, many Shoppers have reported and discussed their earnings online. We did some research to find these details:
- Indeed lists average earnings of $22 per hour based on 403,000+ reports.
- Glassdoor lists average earnings of $11 to $14 per hour based on 41 reports.
- The reports above don’t say whether or not Shopper tips are factored into earnings.
- This blog post by Shipt says experienced Shoppers can earn $16 to $22 per hour.
- In this Reddit thread, Shipt Shoppers report earning anywhere from $10 to $33 per hour. Many listed their average earnings ranging from about $15 to $18 per hour.
Overall, it seems like $22 per hour is possible but not necessarily common. Reviews note that different factors like location and time of day affect earnings.
The blog post mentioned above stands out because it’s from the company itself. Based on the post, you may earn $16 to $22 per hour once you gain Shopper experience.
How Are Shipt Shoppers Paid?
Shipt Shoppers are paid weekly through direct bank deposit. Payments are sent on Fridays for earnings made the previous Monday through Sunday.
Customers can tip Shoppers in cash or through the app. Tips through the app are included with weekly payments.
Tips For Being A Great Shipt Shopper
Each side gig we discuss has plenty of potential, and Shipt is no exception! For maximum earnings and easier shopping, read these tips based on Shopper reviews and feedback:
- Text customers when you’re at the grocery store. This tip actually comes from a Shipt customer. He says it’s very helpful when Shoppers send a quick text asking if they need any last minute.
- Double-check on order substitutions. Most shopping lists will say if the customer accepts substitutions on out-of-stock. Some Shoppers recommend texting the customer to double-check their preferences for substituted items.
- Don’t dismiss all of the small orders. Small orders may not seem like they’re worth the time, but they can add up very quickly. You can also accept multiple orders at once, so these orders are ideal for that.
- Always keep track of your mileage. Independent contractors like Shipt Shoppers can deduct mileage from their income. This reduces your taxable earnings when you file taxes.
- Look into other independent contractor deductions. Mileage isn’t the only tax deduction you can use. Read this blog post for a huge list of potential deductions for independent contractors.
- Keep a portable phone charger in your car. Using the Shipt Shopper app will drain your phone’s battery throughout the day. Buy an inexpensive portable or wireless charger for your car to ensure your phone doesn’t die.
More Side Gigs To Make Extra Money
If being a Shipt Shopper sounds like a good fit, make sure you don’t rule out other gigs. Combining side hustles is easy because they’re so flexible.
To find a gig you can pair with Shipt, check out these Frugal For Less posts: