Want to Earn Some Extra Money?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short time. Join LifePoints Now For a 10 Point Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
Delivery driving jobs aren’t anything new. But in recent years, these jobs have taken a different turn. You no longer have to commit to one employer or a set hourly schedule.
Modern gigs allow delivery drivers to work whenever they want. You can deliver a few hours per week or make money daily; it’s 100% up to you.
UberEATS is one popular choice for people who want to make money driving. This delivery service is a branch of Uber, one of the hottest ride-sharing companies.
If you want to work super flexible hours with plenty of freedom, this gig may suit you. Read my full UberEATS driver review to learn all about it.
What Do UberEATS Drivers Do?
UberEATS is a food delivery service that works as a third-party between customers and restaurants. Customers place their restaurant food order through the UberEATS app.
UberEATS drivers pick up the food from the restaurant and deliver it to the customer.
Delivery drivers track their deliveries through the UberEATS app. Drivers are paid per delivery based on pickups, delivery, and miles driven.
They also earn money through tips from customers. When you deliver for UberEATS, you can work as much or as little as you want. Simply get in your car, turn on the app, and start taking orders.
UberEATS Driver Pros And Cons
Every driving job has pros and cons to consider. UberEATS is definitely no exception. There is plenty of detailed online feedback from UberEATS drivers.
I took note of the most common pros and cons. This list should give you a fair look at what people like and dislike about the gig.
- The driver eligibility requirements are pretty easy to meet.
- You get to keep 100% of the tips you earn.
- You choose your own flexible work hours/schedule.
- You can take breaks whenever you want.
- You get to be your own boss.
- The job is simple and low-stress.
- You can get paid fast through Instant Pay.
- You can cash out directly to your bank account or debit card.
- The gig is much more convenient than other part-time jobs.
- Uber offers different bonuses and incentives for UberEATS drivers.
- Most UberEATS drivers only make a part-time income.
- You don’t get job benefits since you’re working as an independent contractor.
- Your daily or weekly income can be inconsistent.
- Your base pay (earnings without tips) may be low.
- On average, Uber takes a 25% commission of your earnings.
- Your vehicle will get gradual wear and tear.
- In most areas, there is no guaranteed hourly pay.
- You have to pay for gas and other possible expenses.
These pros and cons are pretty consistent with every other delivery driver job. The main benefits are flexible hours, quick pay, and simple work.
This is ideal if you can’t commit to a regular hourly part-time job. It’s also nice if you need extra money fast thanks to the Instant Pay feature.
On the other hand, your income can fluctuate a lot. You may get lots of deliveries and tips one day and hardly any the next day.
Commission and other fees impact your earnings, too. This is 100% normal for delivery drivers, but it doesn’t suit some people. Overall, I think it’s worth a shot if you need an easy way to earn some cash.
UberEATS Driver Requirements
The UberEATS requirements are a lot more simple than other driving jobs. You just have to meet some basic criteria to quickly start making money.
I’ve broken down the requirements below so you can see if you’re a good fit.
- You must be 19 years or older. If you deliver using a bike, you only need to be 18 or older.
- You must have a valid driver’s license.
- You must have valid auto insurance and proof of vehicle registration.
- You must have at least one year of driving experience.
- You must be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
- You must pass a background check. This check mainly looks for major driving violations over the past seven years. Major violations include DUIs and reckless driving.
- You must meet any additional requirements based on your city. For example, some areas require different documentation than others.
Most UberEATS drivers use a car to make deliveries. In some cities, UberEATS will let you deliver using a bicycle or scooter. I’ve included the criteria for each type of vehicle.
- Car Deliveries
- You must have a two-door or four-door vehicle.
- Your vehicle must be a 1998 or newer model.
- Scooter Deliveries
- You can have any type of two-wheel scooter.
- Your scooter must have a motor of 50cc or less.
- Your scooter must travel 30 MPH or less.
- Bike Deliveries
- You must have a government-issued ID.
As you can see, it’s pretty simple to qualify for UberEATS. Many driver reviews say it only takes a few days to pass the background check.
Keep in mind that your city may have additional requirements. If that’s the case, you’ll learn about them when you fill out your application.
How To Apply For UberEATS
Visit the main UberEATS page to start your application. You’ll begin by creating an account with your name, e-mail address, phone number, and location.
Then you’ll provide the necessary information, and this will vary based on your city and vehicle type. Have your ID, proof of insurance, and other documents on hand.
After you fill out your application, simply wait to pass the background check. You’ll be notified if/when you’re accepted as an UberEATS driver. It’s a pretty easy process overall, and it doesn’t take much time.
How Much Do UberEATS Drivers Make?
There isn’t a super specific answer to this question. A lot of different factors determine how much you’ll earn.
Below you’ll find all of the details about UberEATS driver pay. To make it simpler, I’ve divided the factors into sections.
UberEATS Pay Formula
UberEATS driver pay is based on a pretty simple formula. This formula consists of a fixed fee for picking up food at restaurants, a fixed fee for dropping off deliveries and pay per mile for the distance you travel.
Here’s an example that Uber lists on their site:
$2.50 pickup + $0.20 x 5.2 miles + $3.00 drop off = $6.54 delivery fare
The total of $6.54 does not include the tips you earn. You keep 100% of your tips. The total also doesn’t include the Uber commission fee.
That fee is usually 25%, but it can vary based on your location. Here’s a look at earnings with fees and tips:
$2.50 pickup + $0.20 x 5.2 miles + $3.00 drop off = $6.54 delivery fare
– 25% Uber commission ($1.64) = $4.90 delivery fare
+ $2.75 customer tip = $7.65 total for one delivery
You can also earn more money through Boost Promotions. For example, you can get a 1.5x pay increase during busy hours.
Many drivers report other types of bonuses and incentives that pop up randomly. You can view all current bonus opportunities in the Earnings/Promotions section of the driver app.
UberEATS Driver Hourly Pay
Lastly, I did research to find the average hourly wage reported by UberEATS drivers. These are the figures that I found:
- Ridesharing Driver states that you can expect to earn $8 to $12 per hour.
- Glassdoor.com lists a base pay of $11 per hour based on 25 reports.
- Indeed.com lists an average of $14.50 per hour based on 37 reviews.
Based on these four numbers I determined an average of $11.37 per hour. This seems pretty realistic based on forum comments, independent reviews, and other online sources.
Other Earning Factors
Lastly, there are lots of smaller factors for you to consider. These are important because they all add up pretty quickly. Your UberEATS pay depends on:
- How many hours you work per week making deliveries.
- How popular UberEATS is in your area.
- The number of tips and amount of tips you earn.
- The time of day that you work – meal times are the busiest times.
- The flat pickup rate for your city.
- The pay per mile rate for your city.
- The Uber commission fee for your city.
After a few weeks of delivering, you should have a good idea of how much money you can make. Keep all of these factors in mind to set realistic expectations as an UberEATS driver.
UberEATS Driver Payment Info
UberEATS makes it easy for delivery drivers to get paid quickly. Most drivers are eligible for the Instant Pay feature. This allows you to cash out up to five times per day.
You can send your earnings to your debit card or bank account. Read more about Instant Pay here.
If you aren’t eligible for Instant Pay, you’ll still get paid weekly. Payments are sent directly to your bank account by the end of each week.
Once you’ve signed up as a driver, you’ll know if you qualify for Instant Pay.
More Ways To Make Money Driving
UberEATS is one many different ways to make money driving. We’ve reviewed several different options in Frugal For Less posts. Here are some for you to consider:
- Drive For Uber: Review, Important Info, And Tips – This post is about being a traditional Uber driver. You get paid to give rides to customers in your area. Read our review to learn about income, qualifications, and more.
- Drive For Lyft: Everything You Need To Know – Lyft is another ride-sharing service where you earn money by giving rides. It’s pretty similar to Uber, but each company has unique aspects. You can find the average weekly pay in your city in our review post.
- 23 Ways to Make Money Driving Around – This is your all-in-one resource for tons of popular ways to earn money driving. You’ll find plenty of info about many hourly driving jobs along with flexible part-time gigs.
- TaskRabbit Review: Get Paid Per Hour To Run Errands, Do Chores, And More – TaskRabbit is a unique platform you can use to find local gigs. Many of the gigs involve driving: delivery services, moving services, pick up/drop off services, and more. You get to set your own hourly rate and work whenever you want. Read the full post to learn more.
Traditional part-time jobs simply aren’t a good fit for everyone. If you want to be your own boss, consider becoming an UberEATS driver.
It’s a flexible and unique way to earn cash whenever you want. Earn even more by checking out the gigs listed above. You can easily make hundreds of dollars per month or more through driving jobs.