WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 Point Bonus
- DoorDash: Drive for DoorDash and start earning money on your own time! No passengers, no bosses, no limits. Drive For DoorDash Now & Get Your First Paycheck This Week
Cutting back on electricity usage to save money is a no-brainer. But imagine earning money and saving money by reducing energy usage. For California, Texas, and Ontario residents, this unique concept is a reality.
OhmConnect is a company that allows you to earn extra cash by saving energy. It certainly sounds ideal, and some perks are even available for users nationwide.
Like me, you probably have dozens of questions about OhmConnect. In this review, I’ve covered all of the bases about what you need to know.
From the program details to potential earnings, you can discover it all below. Read on to find out if OhmConnect is a good money making option for you.
What Is OhmConnect?
OhmConnect is a San Francisco based company that rewards users for saving energy during specific times of the day. The reward service is completely free to use.
Users earn points for conserving energy during ‘Ohm hours’. These points convert into cash payouts via PayPal.
OhmConnect shares a mission with the utility companies they partner with. The mission is to reduce the number of energy surges from power plants.
This is referred to as dirty power by OhmConnect. Utility companies benefit more from paying you to reduce usage than they do from paying the power plants during dirty power times.
OhmConnect acts as the virtual middleman between users and their utility companies. They send you alerts that instruct you to conserve energy. By doing this, utility companies spend less during the surges of dirty power. This allows them to pay you through OhmConnect.
The company was a hot topic as a startup in 2015. One Forbes article discussed OhmConnect in the early stages.
OhmConnect has also been positively reviewed by the U.S. Department of Energy, Fast Company, Intel, and more. You can view a full list of their press coverage here.
The concept of getting paid to save energy is fairly new. However, there’s a decent amount of user reviews and feedback about OhmConnect. Most users report making a few dollars here and there. Others have earned hundreds of dollars over the course of one year. In the ‘How Much Money Can I Make?’ section, I’ll discuss earning potential in detail.
How Does OhmConnect Work?
This program is mostly for California, Texas, and Ontario residents. They have the ability to cash out to PayPal by using OhmConnect.
However, I’ll also explain how the program works for non-residents in the ‘Ways To Earn Money From OhmConnect’ section. Though the perks are limited for non-residents, it’s still worth checking out!
Once you sign up for OhmConnect, you connect your utility account via the OhmConnect website. In California, you’re eligible if you have a utility account with Pacific Gas & Electric, Southern California Edison, or San Diego Gas & Electric.
In Texas, you’re eligible if you have an account with Smart Meter Texas. On the other hand, in Ontario you’re eligible if you have an account with Toronto Hydro.
When your account is connected, OhmConnect will monitor your energy usage. You’ll receive a text alert prior to an Ohm Hour. During this hour, you reduce your energy usage in various ways.
For example, you turn off the television or put off using your dishwasher. You’ll receive 1-2 alerts per week on average.
You earn points for every Ohm Hour you participate in. The amount of points you earn depends on how much energy usage you reduce. Your usage is monitored by the meter or meters your utility company installed.
Since you’ve connected your account to OhmConnect, they are able to see your usage.
Pros and Cons of OhmConnect
Like all money making opportunities, users have noted some OhmConnect pros and cons. The lists below are a combination of user reviews, comments on reviews, and my own research. Here are the upsides and downsides to using OhmConnect.
- You save money on your energy bill on top of earning money.
- The OhmConnect money making process is low effort. I’ll cover all of the ways you can make money later in this post.
- You can earn extra cash through referrals.
- The payout threshold is only $10. This means you can cash out pretty quickly with regular use.
- OhmConnect makes you more energy conscious. This is environmentally beneficial, and it’s a good habit for anyone to develop.
- OhmConnect is geared towards California, Texas, and Ontario residents. You can still earn in limited ways if you aren’t a resident.
- The money-making potential isn’t high. It’s pretty average in general – you won’t make hundreds of dollars per month, but it’s a decent spare money gig.
- The money you make varies greatly. There’s not a set amount you’ll make, which can be frustrating for those who want clear answers.
- OhmConnect is only partnered with a small number of utility companies. As of right now, OhmConnect is partnered with five utility companies. This greatly limits user eligibility.
For even more user feedback, check out OhmConnect Facebook user posts. You’ll see a lot of reviews from people who currently use the service. This is a great resource for getting an updated and unbiased mix of opinions.
Overall, there aren’t any cons to using OhmConnect. The restrictions are a little frustrating for some people. However, it’s a legitimate way to make money and it’s genuinely beneficial. From reading feedback, it’s easy for me to conclude that the pros outweigh the cons.
How Do I Join OhmConnect?
Joining OhmConnect is simple and only takes a few minutes. This signup process applies to users nationwide. After you provide location information, your account will be tailored to your eligibility.
- Visit OhmConnect.com and type your zip code into the ‘Select Location’ box.
- Create your account by connecting it to your Google, Facebook, or e-mail account. You’ll need to verify your account via e-mail.
- Provide your PayPal information in order to get paid.
- Provide the requested information about your utility account. This determines your eligibility to earn payment and rewards.
- California residents will need to sign an authorization form. The OhmConnect FAQ section explains that this allows them to access data from your utility meter.
- Make sure to provide your e-mail address or phone number to receive alerts. Choose the e-mail address or number you use most frequently so you’ll get notifications for every Ohm Hour.
Once you’ve done this, you can start using the program. If you don’t live in one of the eligible areas, your utility usage isn’t monitored. Instead, you’ll self-report what steps you take to save energy.
This program is called the Bronze Program. You won’t be eligible for cash payments aside from referrals, but you can win prizes.
How Much Money Can I Make From OhmConnect?
Before I dive into earning potential, I’ll explain the OhmConnect points to dollars system. It’s pretty easy to understand. Here are the highlights:
- You earn points for each Ohm Hour you participate in.
- 1 OhmConnect point is equal to $0.01.
- You need 1,000 points to cash out through PayPal.
- There is no set amount of points you will earn per Ohm Hour.
The only downside is the last bullet point – your earnings per Ohm Hour will always fluctuate. You earn points according to your reduced kilowatts per hour usage.
So the money-making potential depends heavily on your personal actions. The less energy you use during Ohm Hours, the more points you’ll earn.
To give you some examples of how much money you can make, I collected data from OhmConnect users. These numbers come from the OhmConnect forum and Reddit threads. This should give you a pretty realistic look at your earning potential.
- One user averaged 181.63 points per Ohm Hour based on 20 hours. The highest amount earned was 237.15 points per hour and the lowest was 122.42 per hour. This means the user earned about $1.22 to $2.37 per Ohm Hour. (Source)
- In a separate thread, one user stated an average earning of $2.00 to $3.00 per Ohm Hour. Another user earned a high of 195.06 points per hour and a low of 81.75 points per hour. This works out to about $0.82 to $1.95 per Ohm Hour. (Source)
- A Reddit user earned $16.51 in two days. The user mentions earning 500 points or $5.00 for a referral bonus and a percentage bonus from posting to Facebook. (Source)
- Another OhmConnect forum thread has responses from many users. Since there are so many responses, I’ve broken them down below. (Source)
- One user averaged $1.87 per Ohm Hour with a minimum of $1.28 and a maximum of $3.26.
- Another poster averaged $1.85 per Ohm Hour with a minimum of $1.28 and a maximum of $2.38.
- A third user stated he averages $1.50 per Ohm Hour with a minimum of $1.20.
- Out of 10 Ohm Hours, a poster earned an average of 181.35 points or $1.81 per Ohm Hour. This poster’s maximum earnings were 236.64 points or $2.37 per hour.
As you can see, earnings are unique for each user. Based on the six of the averages above, a typical user earns about $1.89 per Ohm Hour. At two Ohm hours per week, that equates to $3.78 per week or $15.12 per month.
It’s important to note that this is based solely on earnings from Ohm Hours. There are several ways to earn bonuses and boost earnings, which I’ll cover in the next section.
By supplementing Ohm Hours with other options, your potential for making money really rises. This is true for nationwide residents.
In these instances, it’s safe to assume some of the money earned is based on additional methods that I’ve listed below.
Ways To Earn Money From OhmConnect
Now let’s get to the exciting part – how do you make the most money from OhmConnect? In this section, I’ve explained every earning option.
I’ll touch on Ohm Hours again, but there are so many other opportunities. If you use a combination of every method that’s available, OhmConnect earning potential really rises.
When you refer users, you earn $20 per referral. You earn $20 when the user reaches Silver Status. This is explained on the Getting Started page. Bronze Users – those who are not eligible for Ohm Hour earnings – can make money from referrals, too!
So this option is available to everyone.
The Status page further explains referrals. Silver Status is the first level available for eligible users who live in California, Texas, and Toronto. You’ll want to focus on referring your friends in these areas to get the $20 referral.
If you average one referral per month, you can earn an extra $240 per year.
Connect Your Smart Devices
I mentioned earlier that OhmConnect measures your energy usage using your utility meter. However, you can also connect smart home devices to OhmConnect. This includes everything from smart plugs to electric cars.
According to this page, you can earn 70 to 560 points per smart device. That’s an extra $0.70 to $5.60 per device you connect.
When you move from Silver Status to Gold Status, you’re eligible for a 1.5x multiplier per Ohm Hour. Let’s say you normally earn $1.70 per Ohm Hour. When you level up to Silver Status, you’ll earn $3.20 per Ohm Hour instead.
This also applies when you move from Gold Status to Platinum Status. You receive a 2x multiplier on Ohm Hour payments. So instead of $1.70 per Ohm Hour, you’d earn $3.40 per Ohm Hour instead.
The requirements for leveling up are noted on the Status page. You’ll also find more details about the unique perks that come with each level. Some sources I’ve read state that you earn up to 5,000 points for leveling up. I haven’t been able to confirm this on OhmConnect’s website.
Ohm Hour Streaks
I’ve detailed how you earn and how much you can earn per Ohm Hour. You can also earn more by completing Ohm Hour streaks. For example, let’s say your points increase for 10 straight Ohm Hours in a row.
You’ll be rewarded for a streak and see your points increase. I’ve not seen a specific amount you earn for streaks, but it’s worth searching for upon creating your account.
Getting Paid By OhmConnect
If you’re eligible for earning cash, you’ll get paid by OhmConnect via PayPal. You need a minimum of 1,000 points or $10 to transfer your earnings to PayPal. You can also use your earnings to shop at the OhmConnect store.
This online store features a selection of different energy saving smart devices.
For California, Texas, and Ontario residents, OhmConnect is a unique and beneficial way to make extra money. Getting paid to make eco-friendly choices is a win-win for everyone.
Even non-residents can earn cash for referrals and are eligible for prizes. You can sign up here to get started.
There are dozens of other unique methods of making money. Frugal For Less covers all types of these options.
We hope you’ve enjoyed our OhmConnect review. Thanks for reading and happy frugaling!