Formed in 1962, Walmart has become one of the most inexpensive places for the average consumer. While some are against their practices, you can’t deny that sometimes their prices are some of the best around when compared to other retailers.
If you’re looking to get the most out of your savings, there is a way to get 12.5% off of of any Walmart purchase every time.
In order to get the maximum amount of cash back, be sure to go through the following procedure step-by-step. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
1. Get A Cash Back Credit Card
As with any other cash back article that I write on Frugal For Less, I always urge my readers to get a cash back credit card. This will start us off with an additional 2% discount from our purchase price when we go with the Citi Double Cash Card.
The reason we choose this card is because we get 2% off of everything we purchase, no matter what the category. You are granted 1% when you buy something and an additional 1% when you pay your bill. Here’s a quick glance at the card below:
- 1% with all purchases and 1% when you pay your bill
- No cap on the amount of cash back received
- First time late payment fee is waived
- Cash back redeemable after earning $25 dollars in rewards
- No annual fee
- Free concierge service
- Incredible Citi benefits
So far we’ve knocked our purchase price down by 2%. If you’re still waiting in the mail for your Citi Double Cash Card, you can use any credit card in the steps below and still get a decent amount of savings. Let’s see what else we can do.
2. Get A Discounted Gift Card… But Go Through A Portal First
This step is a little bit complicated, so pay close attention. We’re going to want to buy a Walmart gift card at a discount, but there’s a way to do so and get even more cash back.
The gift card reseller site that gives the most amount of cash back to Walmart is Cardpool, giving you an extra 3.5% off of your purchase. However, we can get this at a cheaper price by using a cash back portal. If this is confusing, just follow the steps below. Once you get the procedure down you’ll understand what is meant.
1. The cash back portal that gives the most amount of cash back to Cardpool is BeFrugal. Go to BeFrugal.com to sign-up for a new account. You will automatically be given $5 dollars in your account when you sign up. You can support Frugal For Less by using our referral link here (Thank you!).
2. After signing-up you will be automatically logged-in to your account. Type in Cardpool in the search bar at the top and hit enter. As you can see, you will be getting a 2% discount on anything purchased at Cardpool by first going through BeFrugal.
3. Click on “Click to Activate,” and from there you will be taken to the Cardpool website. From there click on the “Buy Gift Cards” link on the Cardpool homepage.
4. Search for “Walmart” in the search box and click on the picture that appears.
5. Browse through the gift cards and select the dollar amount that you wish to use. I personally recommend the electronic gift cards since they will be sent to you via email usually within 10 minutes. Here we see that we are getting 3.5% off.
7. Go through the checkout process and make sure to use your cash back credit card that we mentioned above to get an additional 2% off of this purchase.
8. After purchase you will normally receive your gift card via email within the next 10-20 minutes, but it can take as long as 2 hours. You will receive a gift card number along with a pin that can be used online or for in-store purchases.
Your cash back from using the online portal will be stored in your BeFrugal account. Once you earn a minimum of $20 you can cash out via PayPal or have a check sent to you in the mail.
We went through a lot of steps just now, so let’s do a quick recap of what we just did.
- Sign-up for the free cash back portal, BeFrugal.
- Search for Cardpool and click on the link.
- Once at Cardpool, buy a Walmart gift card.
- Make sure to use the Citi Double Cash Card when checking out.
So how much have we saved so far?
- 2% off at BeFrugal
- 3.5% off of the Walmart gift card bought at Cardpool
- 2% off by using the Citi Double Cash Card
So far we’ve saved 7.5% off of all Walmart purchases! Fortunately, there’s more. Let’s continue to the next step and complete our cash back journey.
Note: If you would like to learn more about cash back portals and how they work, you can read this article: How to Always Get the Most Cash Back For Online Shopping – Top Shopping Portals.
3. Use A Cash Back Portal When Making A Walmart Purchase
Now that we have our gift card, it’s time to make our final Walmart purchase using our gift card that we just received via email. A quick search as cashbackmonitor.com reveals that the highest cash back rate is 5% which can be found using the UPromise cash back portal.
The picture reveals that Discover Deals also gives you 5% cash back, but do not be fooled. This is only if you use your Discover card to make the purchase. In this case, we’re using a gift card so it won’t work. Let’s go through the steps to adding that final 5% off.
1. Sign-up for the cash back portal at www.upromise.com. You will be asked to enter a little bit of personal information.
2. Search for Walmart in the search box and click on the “Shop Now” button to be automatically taken to the Walmart page. (Even though it says cash back for college, you can still earn cash back if you’re not a student).
3. Shop on Walmart like you normally would. Any purchases will be recognized by UPromise and you will get 5% back in your account. If you select ship to the store there’s no shipping charge, and any orders over $50 will ship to your home for free.
4. On the checkout page use the gift card that we purchased from Cardpool in the steps above.
5. Congratulations! You’ve made a purchase and just saved 5% going through the UPromise cash back portal.
How Much Money Did We Save?
Here’s a quick calculation of our total savings:
- 2% by using the BeFrugal portal to purchase a gift card at Cardpool
- 3.5% by buying a Walmart gift card discounted at Cardpool
- 5% by using the UPromise cash back portal when making the final purchase
This means we’ve saved a total of 12.5% on all Walmart purchases!!!
Of course, the one exception to this might be produce, as you can’t purchase produce online. You can still get the gift card in the first 2 steps and save a total 7.5% on all groceries.
We Can Still Save A Bit More With Walmart Savings Catcher
If you thought we were done, there’s still one more thing to look at: Walmart Saving Catcher.
Every time you make a purchase be sure to keep your receipts. With the Saving’s Catcher program, enter in your receipt number and Walmart will scan prices near local retailers.
If there is a difference in price, Walmart will refund you the difference in their rewards account provided that you made the purchase within the last 7 days.
Even if you don’t know if you qualify for a savings, go ahead and enter your receipt anyways. It doesn’t hurt to try and there’s no penalty even if you don’t end up getting cash back. You can find out more by visiting the Savings Catcher homepage.
It may look like a long process to save an additional 12.5% off of all Walmart purchases, and that’s because it is! But once you get the process down, it will only take you an extra 3-5 minutes to save a large amount off of anything Walmart.
Be sure to follow all of the steps carefully and in order on this guide to max out our cash back savings.
If you have any questions about the steps mentioned in this article or want to tell us about your experience, tell us in the comments below. We’d love to hear about it! As always, thanks for reading and happy frugaling!