WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Vindale Research: One of the best survey sites on the web. Earn up to $50 per survey. Join Vindale Research Now & Get a $1 Bonus
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- Ibotta: Earn cash back when you take pictures of receipts and shop online. Get a $10 bonus when you sign-up using our link and claim your first offer. Join Ibotta Now to Get $10
Selling used items is one of the easiest ways to make quick cash. I declutter and sell goods a few times per year using web-based and in-person options.
Over the past few years, there’s been a huge rise in websites and apps for selling used goods. One extremely popular option is the letgo app.
letgo stands out from other apps because it combines online listings with in-person sales. This platform has a great reputation, but you should definitely learn about it before using it.
In this letgo review, I’ve covered everything you need to know. Read on to discover how you can quickly make money using this app.
How Does Letgo Work?
letgo is a mobile app that lets users buy and sell items where they are located. At a glance, letgo comes across as a sleek, modern and more convenient alternative to Craigslist.
You can list items for sale in mere seconds, so making money from used items is easier than ever.
After raising more than $100 million in 2015, letgo made their debut. In the first year alone, the app was downloaded 30 million times and had 13.2 million active users.
Letgo Pros and Cons
After I looked into the history of letgo, I started reading user reviews. The app has a lot of detailed feedback despite being fairly new. The letgo pros and cons lists are based on a few different sources.
I mostly used user reviews, blog posts, and my own conclusions from reading the letgo website.
- The letgo app is 100% free to use.
- letgo does not charge any sellers fees – you get every penny.
- You can negotiate prices to increase your chances of selling.
- The app has a 4.6-star rating based on over 65,000 reviews in the iTunes store.
- The app has a 4.5-star rating based on over 800,000 reviews in the Google Play Store.
- You get to choose the form of payment you receive.
- If necessary, you can dispute negative reviews that you receive.
- Your selling market is restricted to your location.
- You have to meet buyers in person to make your sales.
- Payments cannot be made through the app; it’s up to buyers and sellers to work out payment.
- Some users reported technical bugs with the app.
- It’s possible for scammers and spammers to signup for letgo.
My initial impression is that the pros heavily outweigh the cons for letgo. It’s rare to find an online selling platform that doesn’t charge fees. letgo clearly has an excellent reputation among users. Overall, I don’t see any major reason not to give it a try.
The cons list is more about small inconveniences than actual issues. If you’re hesitant about payments or worried about scammers, that’s totally understandable.
Near the end of this post, you’ll find a section titled Quick Tips For Using letgo. This may help you feel more confident about trying the app.
How To Sign Up For letgo
Signing up for letgo is easy and quick. I tried it myself, and it only took a few minutes. Here’s what you need to do.
- Download the letgo Android app or iPhone app.
- Complete the signup process by providing a valid e-mail address, password, and photo.
- You’re ready to browse and create a listing on the letgo app!
There’s another optional step, but I think it’s worth doing. You can verify your account to build trust with buyers. To do this, go to your profile page in the letgo app.
Click the “Build Trust” button; it’s located under your profile picture. Follow the quick instructions, and you’re good to go.
The Google Play store gives the app a Teens rating, but their Terms and Conditions page states that you need to be 18 to use the app. This is usually because you’re entering into a contract by using the letgo service.
How Do I Sell On letgo?
Once you’ve created your account, selling items on letgo seems very simple. Follow these steps:
- Click the Sell Your Stuff button on the website or in the app.
- Take a photo of the item you want to sell, or select a photo from your phone’s gallery. This will be the main photo, but you can add more photos later.
- Set your price or list the item as negotiable.
- Click the Done button, and your listing is live.
- Once you’re done, you have the options to upload additional photos, a title, description, and more. Click Add More Details to do this.
Repeat these five simple steps to list more items. If you’ve got questions about selling, visit the Selling On letgo category on their FAQ page.
What Can I Sell On letgo?
The short answer to this question is “almost anything”. These are the categories listed on the letgo website and in the app:
- Other Vehicles and Parts
- Sports, Leisure, and Games
- Home and Garden
- Movies, Books and Music
- Fashion and Accessories
- Baby and Child
- Free Stuff
Keep in mind that these are the categories, and hundreds of items fall under each category. If you’re not sure where to post an item, browse for a similar item in the app. You’ll likely see where that item is most commonly listed.
There is a list of prohibited items listed in the letgo Community Guidelines. To make things easier for you, I’ve listed each specific item below instead of general categories. Keep these in mind when you’re planning to sell:
- Alcoholic products
- Illegal drugs
- Prescription drugs
- Adult toys
- Live animals
- Skin and bones from endangered or protected species
- Catering services
- Party trays of perishable food
- Homemade jams and jellies
- Cleaning services
- Tutoring sessions
- Financial services
- All firearms, accessories and ammunition
- Airsoft, BB and other novelty guns that don’t have an orange safety tip
- Mace, pepper spray, or tasers
This list seems a bit long, but it’s pretty standard for second-hand selling platforms. These items are usually prohibited because of state and federal laws about selling these items.
There are certain prohibited behaviors like spamming and harassment, too. Visit the Community Guidelines link above for more details.
Potential Earnings On letgo
In this section, I’m going to cover two topics related to potential earnings. First, I’ll break down what can affect how much money you’ll make. These factors are applicable to any selling platform, so I think they’re great for everyone to know.
I’ll also list prices for one or more items in each category. These prices are based on my location in the Midwest United States, so your local prices may vary. Still, it’s helpful to get a look at some real numbers.
- Demand – The demand for the product you’re selling is one of the most important factors. For example, a used iPhone 8 is most likely going to be way more popular than a used iPhone 6.
- Visibility – With letgo and similar outlets, you have to stand out from other buyers. There are several ways you can do this. I’ll discuss them in the tips section below.
- Pricing – Pricing is another crucial thing you always need to consider. Let’s say you’re selling a pair of Nike shoes for $30. If someone else is selling the same shoes in similar condition for $20, they’re going to attract more buyers.
- Condition – Naturally, the condition of your used items play a part in how much you’ll earn. You’d typically price like new or gently used items higher than moderately used items.
- Market – If letgo is really popular where you live, you’ve got a bigger market to sell to. If it’s not well-known, it may take longer for you to land sales.
Real Prices On letgo
- 2008 Ford Fusion for $1,699 – Cars
- Unlocked iPhone 6S for $200 – Electronics
- Suzuki RMX250 Dirt Bike for $800 – Other Vehicles and Parts
- Red and Black Schwinn Commuter Bike for $90 – Sports, Leisure and Games
- Brown Wooden 2-Drawer Nightstand for $50 – Home and Garden
- Green Acoustic Guitar for $40 – Movies, Books and Music
- Women’s Size 7.0 Coach Pen OP ART Heels for $40 – Fashion and Accessories
- Paw Patrol Toddler Bed for $50 – Baby and Child
- Stainless Steel French Door Refrigerator for $1,000 – Other
These are just a few examples picked from several thousand items near me. I also noticed that you don’t have to list items individually. If you’ve got a collection of Xbox games or children’s clothing, you can sell the items as a set.
This seems pretty handy for making quick sales.
letgo Payment and Fees
One of the most attractive features of letgo is that there are absolutely no fees. You don’t pay a dime to list your items, and letgo doesn’t take any commission.
However, there are optional in-app purchases ranging from $0.99 to $4.99. You can pay to feature your items so that they get more visibility.
letgo does not handle payments between buyers and sellers. This makes it important to use caution with the payment methods you accept. Fortunately, it’s easy to be certain you’ll get the money you’re owed. I’ll offer some payment method tips in the section below.
Quick Tips For Using letgo
Before I wrap things up, I’d like to offer some simple tips for selling on letgo. These tips are based on the letgo FAQ, Safety Tips Page, some research, and my own experiences with selling used items.
- Only accept cash payments, or use PayPal if necessary. letgo discourages users from accepting cashier checks, Western Union, or any other type of wire transfers. Ask for cash payments to ensure a good experience. If you’re comfortable with PayPal, you can also accept payment through that platform.
- Meet buyers in populated and public settings. This is one my non-negotiable rules for selling items in person. You can meet buyers at coffee shops, popular shopping centers, and similar places. Ask a friend or family member to tag along, too.
- Take quality photos for your listings. The photos you use for listings can make or break your sales. Always take clear photos in well-lit areas. Depending on the item, you may want to take several photos from different angles. If your items have any defects, make sure to photograph them.
- Leave ratings for your buyers. When you rate buyers, you may increase your chances of getting seller ratings. Good seller ratings can make you seem more reliable and trustworthy to buyers. Make sure to leave positive and kind feedback for good experiences.
- Write detailed and honest product descriptions. Cover all of your bases when you write a product description. List the brand name, product features, measurements (if applicable), and so on. It’s also very important to be 100% honest with your descriptions. Don’t try to hide any flaws or defects. This could result in fewer sales and negative feedback.
- Compare prices for items similar to yours. Before you create a listing, search for items similar to yours. You want to price your items competitively to attract buyers. And if you’re willing to negotiate prices, make sure to mention it in your listing.
It’s easy to see that the letgo app is a great resource for selling used items. You can use it to quickly get some extra cash, and you’ll declutter your home in the process. The app offers the convenience of an online market with the fast results of selling in-person. It’s a true win/win situation for anyone.
If you like the idea of letgo, check out our other posts about selling second-hand items online. Some examples include 9 Ways To Make Money Online By Selling Your Used Clothing and Top 8 Ways To Make Money Selling Makeup Online.
No matter what you want to sell, it’s easy to find an option that’s perfect for you. We’ve hoped you enjoyed this letgo review. Thanks for reading and happy frugaling!