WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 Point Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
Writing jobs are an excellent way to make money from home, and some niches pay very well. Resume writers are very in-demand at all times.
People are constantly job searching, and having a professionally written resume is crucial. ZipRecruiter.com reports that the average resume writer salary is $45,000 per year.
If you’re a talented and organized writer, this may be a perfect work at home position for you. This post discusses nine companies that hire online resume writers.
I’ve also included detailed tips on how to land a job in this field. Read on to discover how you can kickstart your resume writing career.
WriterBay hires college educated professionals to write resumes, essays, and other types of content. They offer full-time and part-time earnings and a flexible work schedule.
WriterBay reviews say that the support team for writers provides great help. You choose the projects you want to work on based on what’s available.
Over the last 30 days, the top 10 WriterBay writers earned $4,105 to $6,775.
WriterBay lists pretty basic qualifications for resume writers. According to the job listing linked above, you need:
- A Bachelor’s degree in any field.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Strong command of English language.
- The ability to write customized, unique content for clients.
- Internet access and an e-mail address.
- A PayPal account, though Payoneer and WebMoney payouts are available upon request.
- To pass grammar and formatting styles tests.
- To write a sample essay to go with your application.
On the hiring page, WriterBay states that they offer a competitive salary. CareerBliss reports that WriterBay pays $20 per hour.
The company also offers 15% and 25% bonuses based on how much you write for them. Writers are paid through PayPal twice per month.
WriteZillas is a platform for freelance writers, and they offer all types of work. In addition to hiring resume writers, they hire ghostwriters, copywriters, academic writers, general content writers, and more.
WriteZillas lets you pick and choose each project you do, so this gig is 100% flexible. There are a lot of positive reviews and testimonials about the job; you can see a few examples here.
WriteZilla lists requirements that are very easy to meet. Almost anyone can apply for their resume writing position. Here are the qualifications mentioned on the hiring page:
- Excellent written and spoken English skills.
- The ability to work within timelines.
- Consistent access to a computer.
If you meet the criteria, go ahead and apply for the freelance resume writing position.
WriteZillas offers resume writers $15 per page. Writers are paid twice per month, but the payment method isn’t listed on the website.
RiseSmart is a career management company that offers clients job coaching, job concierge, and resume writing services.
They seek professionals who have experience and certifications in this industry. The resume writing position is a part-time opportunity that allows you to work from home.
The job hours are fairly flexible, but you’ll need to provide your availability to the company. You may be required to have direct interactions with clients via e-mail and phone.
RiseSmart resume writer qualifications are a bit stricter than other options. You can view a full list of criteria at the link above. Below are the major highlights from their detailed job listings. You need:
- Five or more years of resume writing experience.
- Excellent written and oral English skills.
- Knowledge of different career industries and job functions.
- Knowledge of different resume formats and the ability to choose the right format for each client.
- Excellent customer service skills.
RiseSmart prefers candidates that are certified by one or more major career organizations. When you apply, you’ll need to provide a sample resume that you have written.
Glassdoor.com data shows that RiseSmart resume writer pay averages $24 to $27 per hour. Other third-party reviews confirm that pay starts at $20 per hour.
4. Talent Inc.
About Talent Inc.
Talent Inc. offers a variety of services to working professionals. In addition to offering resume writing services, clients can get customized CVs, cover letters, and LinkedIn profiles. They employ over 500 professional writers nationwide.
The job listing for resume writers promotes flexible scheduling, a steady supply of work, and access to support and writing tools. This position requires writers to have direct contact with clients through e-mail and phone calls.
Talent Inc. Qualifications
Talent Inc. states that they prefer professional resume writers with at least three years of experience. However, this isn’t a hard requirement. Their list of qualifications is pretty easy for most working professionals to meet. You need to have:
- Strong customer service skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong work experience and/or knowledge of different career fields.
- Good understanding of different job functions.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to work at a fast-pace in order to meet deadlines.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word.
This is all you need in order to apply, but they do list other preferences. Ideal candidates have major career organization certifications, knowledge of applicant tracking systems, and experience in job recruitment and/or career counseling.
Talent Inc. Pay
Glassdoor.com data shows that Talent Inc. writers reporting average earnings of $19 to $22 per hour. Other third-party reviews say that earnings start at $20 per resume.
About Boardroom Resumes
Boardroom Resumes provides several writing services to clients. This includes writing resumes, LinkedIn profiles, cover letters, and professional bios. The company states that their writers have spent over 100,000 hours creating resumes for clients. Writers can accept as few or as many assignments as they want, so this gig is very flexible.
Boardroom Resumes Qualifications
Boardroom Resumes doesn’t list specific qualifications on their careers page. To apply, you’ll need to provide the following information:
- The position you’re applying for.
- Any professional resume certifications you have.
- Your name, e-mail address, and phone number.
- A cover letter and your resume.
- A sample resume that you’ve written.
According to job listings on other career websites, you may need to have resume writing experience.
Boardroom Resumes Pay
Boardroom Resumes doesn’t provide information about writer pay on their website. A job listing for senior resume writers cites earnings of $16 to $20 per hour. Third-party reviews mostly report earnings of $14 to $16 per hour.
ResumeYard offers professional resume writing services to clients, and they hire experienced writers to get the job done.
This job also includes writing CVs, cover letters, thank you letters, LinkedIn profiles, and more. Clients provide the date you need to complete resumes and other assignments.
The company states that you can complete dozens of tasks per month, so this sounds like a part-time opportunity.
ResumeYard only hires writers who have experience in this specific field. These are the qualifications listed on their job page:
- Two or more years of professional resume writing experience.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills.
- The ability to edit resume templates.
- Efficient at using Microsoft Word and Google Docs.
- Strong understanding of different career fields and job functions at all levels – entry level, management, and so on.
- Familiarity with different resume formats.
They prefer candidates with experience in HR and ones who have certification from major career organizations.
ResumeYard states that they offer competitive compensation to resume writers. Unfortunately, there are no exact numbers listed on their website.
UpWork is a platform for finding freelance work, so it’s a bit different than other options on the list. You can easily find resume writing jobs using the search function or link above.
To get started, you’ll need to sign up and create a freelancer profile. This is where you’ll showcase your skills and experience.
UpWork resume writing jobs are very diverse. There are pay per hour jobs, one-time gigs, long-term projects, and more. It’s incredibly easy to set your own schedule.
The qualifications for UpWork resume writing jobs varies with each job listing. Clients can select entry level, intermediate, or expert writers.
Some clients provide very little detail about the experience they prefer. Others give full lists of requirements.
The application process varies with each client, too. You can find all of the information you need by clicking on a job listing title.
There’s definitely no set payment for UpWork freelance resume writers. Some current job listings state pay rates of $30 to $200 per assignment.
Others pay hourly, and the hours range from 1-30 hours per week. You can set your own hourly rate on UpWork to find assignments that meet your needs, too.
8. Sound Advice
About Sound Advice
Sound Advice is a recruiting and consulting firm that provides many different services to clients. They’ve been in business since 2006 and have plenty of positive feedback from clients.
The Colorado-based company employs resume writers for 100% virtual positions. This is an independent contractor position that offers a 6-12 month contract.
You set your own schedule and complete as few or as many projects as you want.
Sound Advice Qualifications
Applicants for this resume writing job must meet experience and education criteria. Their job listing includes comprehensive lists about their preferences and requirements.
I’ve highlighted the key points here. You need:
- A Bachelor’s degree, but an advanced degree is preferred.
- Experience with resume writing, recruiting, job coaching, and/or human resources.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- High proficiency using Microsoft Word and various formatting features.
- Strong time management and personal organization skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- An eye for detail.
The application for this job involves a trial work task. You’ll be given information about a fictional job seeker, and you’ll create a resume based on the details given.
The company says the application process takes 45 minutes to 1 ½ hours depending on your experience.
Sound Advice Pay
Unfortunately, payment for this position isn’t disclosed on the Sound Advice career site.
Online Resume Writing Job Tips
There are a few ways to increase your chances of getting an online resume writing job. Sharpening your skills and building up your own resume can really make you stand out. The tips below are based on many different career sites, and I’ve added some of my own personal ideas.
- Obtain a career organization certification. You may have noticed that many companies prefer hiring certified candidates. You can get certified, but it requires time and investment. I recommend going this route if you’re looking to land a well-paying and long-term position. You can obtain certifications through organizations like Career Directors International (CDI) and Certified Professional Resume Writers (CPRW).
- Create a ‘before and after’ resume portfolio. Showcase your skills by creating a portfolio of resumes you’ve written and/or edited. If you don’t have experience, you can simply create some example work. Sites like WordPress are a free way to host your portfolio online.
- Add more than just resumes to your portfolio. Resume writers often writer other tips of content, too. Examples include cover letters, CVs, biographies for client websites, and more. Creating examples of these using free templates is easy and make your portfolio more diverse.
- Enhance your own resume. You can see all of the skills and qualifications that companies are looking for in this post. If you’ve got these skills, make sure to add them to your resume. Be sure to include your experience with word editing software and common Internet tools. Every bit of experience counts!
- Strengthen your online presence. For example, create a free LinkedIn profile and make sure it includes your resume and a link to your portfolio. This helps potential employers quickly see what you bring to the table. You can also join forums for freelance writers, career professionals, and so on. I find these forums to be helpful resources for tips, advice, and job leads.
- Look for gigs through job listing websites. If you want to build your experience before applying to a company, land a few gigs first. You can also go this route if you just want to apply for as many jobs as possible. Some popular job hunting websites include Indeed, ZipRecruiter, Monster, Glassdoor, and CareerBuilder. Use terms like “remote resume writer” to find opportunities.
It’s pretty clear that resume writing is a legitimate work from home job. However, there are tons of other ways to make money online.
Frugal For Less reviews many of these writing jobs and similar freelance gigs. I suggest checking out these helpful posts:
- 17 Freelance Writing Jobs For Beginners
- 10 Places To Get Started As A Freelancer: Where And How
- Top 8 Online Companies That Pay You To Write
You’ll quickly see that it’s possible to make a part-time or full-time income from home. For even more options, browse our Make Money section. I’m confident you’ll find a gig that really suits you.