WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 Point Bonus
- Webull: Earn 2 free stocks of value between $5 - $1,400 when you open a new account and make your first deposit of any amount. Open Your Webull Account Now
Our first responders, such as firefighters, police officers, EMTs, paramedics, and our military, both active duty and retired, deserve discounts from companies and services for their hard work and dedication.
There are many out there, I’ll start with 6 categories of discounts for first responders and military to claim with their identification cards.
1. Life & Health Insurance Discounts
This should be a given – once you’ve decided to put your own life into harm’s way for others, your life and health insurance should be free. But no, companies still need to make a profit, so here are some health and life insurance discounts available.
- Provident – Offers first responders accident and health insurance as well as including support services such as counseling, stress management, child and elder care, and financial and legal help.
- VFIS – Volunteer Firemen’s Insurance Services offers accident and sickness insurance and other coverage to fill in the gaps missing from worker’s compensation.
- Other – Many health and life insurance discounts are offered through your own affiliated associations.
2. Auto Insurance & Vehicle Discounts
Check with your auto insurance companies for any discounts offered. Even small companies like Country Financial offer first responders up to 5% discount on auto insurance.
The big-name auto insurance offering discounts varying from 5% to 15% include:
- Geico – Up to 15% for Military and Law Enforcement
- Farmers – Up to 5% for firefighters, law enforcement and military members
- Nationwide – Up to 10% for “affinity” groups (Check with your Association)
- Liberty Mutual – Up to 10% off for Firefighters, police officers and other badge carrying members
Now for an extra bonus, some car companies offer a discount on car purchases like:
- Ford – Up to $500 off for first responders and military members towards the purchase or lease of a 2018/2019 vehicle
- General Motors – Save hundreds or even thousands through their GM Military discount program as well as for all first responders (even 911 dispatchers).
- Harley Davidson – Special stateside military financing including no down payment, reduced rates and flexible term options for military personnel. For first responders Harley offers admission to Harley Davidson’s Riding Academy’s New Rider Course for $99 (Full price is around $275)
- Chrysler – Get deep discounts and affordable financing on Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram vehicles for military and first responders.
- Other major name car companies Offer a variety of different discounts for first responders and they often change periodically, so it’s best to ask when car shopping.
Lastly, other automotive places offering discounts are car rental companies like Budget, Enterprise, and others. Car parts stores like O’Reilly’s and Goodyear, and car repair shops like Jiffy Lube, Meineke’s, and others.
3. Mortgage Discounts
For new home buyers as a first responder or military personnel should apply for these great discounts:
- HUD Homes – HUD offers a discount of 50% off the listing price of the home, their only requirement is that it be your primary home and you live there for at least 36 months.
- Homes for Heroes – A company that affiliates with real estate-related service providers who offer substantial rebates and discounts to the Heroes. These include military, firefighters, law enforcement and others.
- Box Home Loans – Save an average of $200 to $500 with exclusive discounts on home loan closing costs.
- HARP – The Home Affordable Refinance Plan can reduce your monthly payments by as much as $4,264 per year. The program was set to expire in 2017 but has been extended for now.
4. Home Security & Repair Discounts
Now as armed officers or military personnel you probably think you don’t need home security, but you’re not always home and your family may want the extra protection against retaliatory actions from your occupation.
Home security discounts include:
- ADT – offers law enforcement a $850+ discount on a home security system for $99.
- Blink – offers active duty military members 15% off all services offered.
- Firearms – A variety of companies offer discounts for law enforcement and military for firearm purchases (after proper documentation). These can be:
- Smith and Wesson – Up to $100 worth of rebates on purchased firearms for law enforcement & military.
- C&C Ammo – Offers a special discount on ammo products to active first responders.
- Glock – Any active first responder receives a discount on any GLOCK pistol of their choice.
Let’s list the home repair discounts you can receive:
- Home Depot – A year-round 10% discount up to a maximum $500 at all U.S. locations
- Lowe’s – A regular 10% military discount plus
- Toolbarn – A 5% discount on eligible Toolbarn orders for all military members.
- Sherwin Williams – 15% off paint and painting supplies for military personnel
5. Shopping Discounts
Many retailers out there offer discounts for all our first responders and military members that this list would be very long listing them all. So, I’ll just list some big-name ones.
- Apple – Military and Government employees (federal, state and local) receive discounts on iPhones, iPads & Mac products.
- Overstock – Free gold Club O membership (a $19.95 value). This includes free shipping, earn 5-40% in Club O rewards, and VIP early access to exclusive deals.
- Costco – Military members receive over $60 in coupons when signing up for an online membership.
- Bass Pro Shops & Cabela’s – Both of these sporting goods stores offer 5% for any military personnel.
- Dell – Offers up to 30% off computers plus 15% off eligible purchases for first responders and military members.
- Office Depot/Office Max – Exclusive 20% discount to Veterans Advantage members for in-store and online purchases.
- GovX – Offers up to 65% off electronics and technology products for all first responders and military personnel.
6. Phone, TV & Extra Discounts
Now let’s look at the phone discounts available:
- Verizon – Law Enforcement, Firefighters, Paramedics can save up to 20% off your monthly plan. Military members receive 15% off their monthly plans. All badge members also receive up to 25% phones and accessories
- AT&T – First responders receive 25% off monthly plans and military personnel receive 15% off monthly bills.
- Sprint – Get up to 15% off as a first responder’s monthly plan. Military members get 10% to 18% off plus a free “hold” on your phone service when you’re deployed.
- T-Mobile – 20% off your first line plus 50% off any additional lines for military families and a $25 discount card for first responders. (Check your affiliated organization).
TV discounts include:
- DirecTV – offers a Veterans Advantage package, with a 130+ channels, Sunday NFL Ticket, and three months of free premium channels for $19.99 a month. First responders get $15 off DirectTV subscription.
- Dish Network– Offers military families $40 off the purchase of a satellite package.
- CenturyLink – They offer first responders and military personnel discounts that are always changing so you need to contact them.
Extra home needs discounts you may not know about include:
- Direct Energy & Bounce Energy – Offer special discounts and rewards for military members on electricity
- Sirius Radio – Save 25% on any SiriusXM package to military members and their families.
- LegalZoom – 15% off for military members
- Enfamil Nutrition – 15% off all Enfamil online products for military and first responder families. You’ll receive a one-time code to use at checkout (but they’re available to retrieve every day)
- Eight Sleep – Military and first responders can take 10% off on all mattresses, pillows, sheets, and other products.
Finally, a generic list of places that pretty much guarantees a discount are:
- Restaurants & Movie theaters
- Hotels, motels and resorts
- Clothing stores and other retailers
- Amusement parks and attractions
- Airlines and transportation hubs including various cruise lines
- Colleges and Universities
- Sporting arenas and fan merchandise shops
Those are just some of the major discounts available, but the best way to find out about any discounts is to ask or request one.
Note: Some of these discounts also apply to family members as well.
For other discount ideas, check out these posts:
In my humble opinion, there should be a lot more discounts and deeper percentages available and I want to give a sincere thank you for your service and sacrifice.
If you know of more discounts available, let us know in the comments, please.