WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 point bonus
- Vindale Research: One of the best survey sites on the web. Earn up to $50 per survey. Join Vindale Research Now & Get a $1 Bonus
Yesterday the cashier at Safeway gave me the senior discount without asking. Apparently the first Wednesday of every month is “senior day.”
I don’t actually qualify. I won’t be 55 for another few months. And even then I won’t consider myself a senior citizen. 55 is young!
But I appreciated the 10% off, and I certainly won’t turn down any age-based deals, especially when I do qualify. Call me old if that’s what it takes to give me a deal.
These discounts for senior citizens are common, but the age at which you qualify differs from place to place. Some businesses offer a senior discount at 65 years-old, while others set the minimum at 62, 55, or even as young as 50.
Since I’m coming up on my big “double five” birthday, I’ve researched the relevant savings opportunities for us almost-seniors If you’re at least 55 years-old, here are some of the best discounts and deals available.
1. Save At The Kroger Family Of Grocery Stores
Many stores (but not all) that are part of the Kroger family have a monthly “seniors day” for customers who are 55 or older. It’s typically the first Tuesday or Wednesday of each month, and you need a store loyalty card or account to get the 10% discount.
Here are some of the Kroger grocery stores that offer the discount:
- City Markets
- Fred Meyer
- King Soopers
- Pick ‘n Save
2. Save On Your AARP Membership
The membership itself is discounted for the first year if you sign up for auto-renewal. More good news: You only need to be 50 to join.
3. Make $150 Bonus On The AARP Credit Card
Once you’re an AARP member you’ll probably get an offer for the AARP Rewards credit card, which typically comes with a nice bonus. I got the card and made a quick $150 for charging $500 on it in the first 90 days (that more than covered my $12 AARP membership).
Wait a few weeks for the best offer to come by mail, because the deal advertised online is usually not as good.
4. Buy A Condo For Less
My wife and I have owned and lived in both condos and regular houses. We’ve found that it’s simpler, but also cheaper to live in a condo, even after paying HOA dues. And when I turn 55 we might move a few hundred yards from our current one-bedroom condo to nicer a two-bedroom 55+ condo that costs the same.
You see, the best deals on condos are often in 55-and-up complexes. The limited market means condos in these places tend to sell for less, even when they’re the nicest ones around.
5. Live For Less In A 55+ Mobile Home Park
In mobile home parks that are for 55-and-up the lot rent isn’t always cheaper, but some of these places have organized as condominiums.
If you find one of that has gone with this arrangement the total cost of living is usually very low, and you effectively own the space your home is on, so you don’t have to worry about being asked to move your mobile.
6. Save On Clothing And Home Goods At Bealls
Join Bealls 50 Plus Club and you can save up to 20% one day per week. Check locally because the discount and days vary. For example, Bealls Florida stores offer a 15% discount, plus free coffee on Tuesdays.
7. Stay At Best Western For Less
Best Western hotels offer 15% off to “seniors” 55 and up. Some of their 4,200 hotels are excluded from the deal, and “You will be asked to provide proof of age at check-in.” See the list further along for more hotel discounts.
8. Eat Out For Less At Denny’s
Many restaurants offer some kind of discount for seniors, but Denny’s does it a little differently. They have a special 55+ menu. Presumably these items cost less than they would if available to everyone. See the list below for more restaurant discounts.
9. Snack For Less At Dunkin’ Donuts
Dunkin’ Donuts no longer offers free donuts to AARP members (it couldn’t last), but many locations still have a discount for those who are 55 and older. You’ll find more coffee shop and snack discounts on the list below.
10. Save On Your Next Oil Change
Many Valvoline Instant Oil Change locations offer a 10% discount if you are 50 or older. Check their website for coupons as well (many franchisees will let you use a coupon and the senior discount at the same time).
11. Get A Discount On Auto Parts
Pep Boys offers a senior discount of 10% on auto parts and supplies if you’re 55+ (check your local store for details).
12. Save On Thrift Store Purchases
Shopping at thrift stores is already a great way to save money, and it gets even better when you shop at Salvation Army stores. They offer a senior discount of 10% if you’re 55 or older (at Goodwill you need to be 60).
13. Save On Phone Service
The Sprint 55-Unlimited plan is available to anyone who is 55 or older. The current offer is $35 per line for two lines. More phone discounts are on the list below.
14. Get 20% Off At Walgreens
This is one of the best drugstore discounts for seniors and almost-seniors. Walgreens gives you 20% off most items every Tuesday if you’re 55 or older, and sometimes you can even get the deal at 50 if you have an AARP card.
15. Fly For Less
British Airways gives you a discount if you’re an AARP member and 55+. Currently you save $65 on economy tickets and $200 on business class. You’ll find more airline discounts for senior citizens (60 and older) below.
More Great Deals For Us Almost Seniors
There are many more great discounts and deals available if you’re at least 55 years-old. The following have been vetted by After55.com, TheSeniorList.com, SeniorCitizenDiscountList.org, and other sources.
16. Albertsons Grocery Stores – Most offer a 10% discount one day per month if you’re 55 or older. Check your local store for details.
17. Arby’s Roast Beef Restaurants – Franchisees set rules, so check locally.
18. Avis Car Rentals – Some locations offer a discount with an AARP card.
19. A&W Restaurants – Discount varies by location.
20. Bob Evans – Varies by location, but may have senior menu deals.
21. Bonefish Grille – With an AARP card you can get a 10% discount.
22. Budget Car Rentals – Up to 20% off for AARP members.
23. Carrabba’s – With an AARP card you can get a 10% discount.
24. Carl’s Jr – Policy varies by location, so check locally.
25. Chick-fil-A – Discount varies by location, some offer free coffee.
26. Chili’s – Many locations offer a 10% discount for 55+.
27. Claim Jumper Restaurant & Saloon – With AARP card you get 10% off.
28. C-Town Supermarkets – Check with your local store.
29. Dairy Queen – Varies by location; 10% off ora free drink are common offers.
30. Dressbarn – It has been reported that some locations offer a 55+ discount.
31. Einstein’s Bagels – Varies by location; 10% to 15% discount.
32. Fuddruckers – Discount varies by location.
33. Hallmark – Discount varies by location.
34. IHOP – They have a special 55+ menu.
35. Jack In The Box – Discount is as high as 20% at some locations.
36. Jiffy Lube – Get a 10% discount at many facilities..
37. Kentucky Fried Chicken – Most KFC restaurants offer a 55+ discount.
38. Landry’s Seafood House – Discount with AARP card.
39. Long John Silvers – Get 10% off at most locations.
40. Luby’s – Check locally for discount.
41. McCormick & Schmick’s – Discount with AARP card.
42. McDonald’s – Varies by location; some offer free coffee.
43. The Oceanaire Seafood Room – Discount with AARP card.
44. Outback Steakhouse – Discount with AARP card.
45. Papa John’s – Senior promotions at times.
47. Popeyes – Many locations offer a 10% discount.
48. Rainforest Cafe – Discount with AARP card.
49. Ross Dress For Less – Sign up for “Every Tuesday Club” to get a 10% discount.
50. Roto-Rooter – Get 10% off.
51. Saltgrass Steak House – Discount with AARP card.
52. TCBY – Get 10% off your frozen yogurt.
53. T-Mobile – Unlimited 55+ plan offers two lines for $70 per month.
54. Safeway Grocery Stores – Most offer a 10% discount one day per month if you’re 55 or older and have a savings club account (which is free to sign up for). Check your local store for details.
55. Wendy’s – Save 10% at most locations.
Discounts When We’re Actually Senior Citizens
Just so you know what savings are waiting for you when you turn 60, 62, or 65, here are some of the places that offer discounts when you are actually old enough to be called a senior citizen. Ask about the offers locally; some of these vary by location and by day of week.
Places Offering A Discount Or Deal When Your Age 60+:
- Burger King
- Clarion Hotels
- Comfort Inn
- Econo Lodge
- Golden Corral
- Goodwill Thrift Stores
- Kohl’s Department Stores
- Motel 6
- O’Charley’s Restaurant
- Schlotzsky’s Deli
- Sweet Tomatoes
- Waffle House
Places Offering A Discount Or Deal When You’re Age 62+
- Greyhound Bus Lines
- Holiday Inn Hotels
- Hyatt Hotels
- Marriott Brand Hotels
- National Park Pass
Places Offering A Discount Or Deal When You’re Age 65+
- Alaska Airlines
- American Airlines
- Boston Market
- Taco Bell
- United Airlines
Maximize Your Savings By Using Your Senior Discount With Other Strategies
Most senior discounts that you qualify for are taken off the total bill in addition to any other savings you get. In other words, if you shop during a sale and use a coupon you’ll still get the discount on top of those other two savings strategies. See my deal stacking post for more on how to pile up the savings in this way.
If you know of some great discounts and deals for almost-seniors 55 and up), please share them with us below… and keep on frugaling!