WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 Point Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
We’ve already revealed how to get nearly 12% off of everything at Walmart. For you do-it-yourselfer’s out there, today I’m going to talk about how we can do even better at Lowe’s and get 20% off of everything store-wide. For simplicity’s sake, we’re going to use this $1,000 dollar lawnmower as an example to find out how much we can save on it.
1. Get A Cash Back Credit Card
All of my cash back guides always start off with a cash back credit card. Getting a good, cash back credit card can save you a lot of hassle and earn you a lot of extra money. If you’re going to be swiping a card anyways, you might as well use one that gives you an extra bonus.
The one I recommend for almost every purchase (and the best one you can use at Lowe’s) is the Citi Double Cash Card. It gives you 2% cash back on all purchases, one of the highest out there. It comes with no annual fee and they even waive your first late fee.
- 1% cash back on all purchases and 1% when you pay your bill
- No limit on cash back received
- First time late payment fee is waived
- Cash back redeemable after earning $25 dollars in rewards
- No annual fee
- Free concierge service
- Incredible Citi benefits
If you’d rather try a different card or are considering other options, you can also compare the Fidelity American Express Card which also gives you 2% back on every purchase.
We aren’t going to use this credit card directly in our purchase at Lowe’s, but it will come in handy in the next few steps. In any case, we’ve already knocked down our purchase price by 2% just from changing credit cards.
2. Finding A Discounted Lowe’s Gift Card (But Don’t Purchase Just Yet)
You can click here to see that they are currently selling their Lowe’s gift cards at roughly a 6% discount. Before making this purchase, if we go through an online shopping portal first, you can save an additional 2% when buying your gift card. This can be seen in step 3 below.
3. Buy The Gift Card Through A Portal
The portal that gives out the most cash back for Raise gift cards is TopCashBack, a website that gives you cash back for first going through their links to make a purchase. When you click on their links and buy something, they earn a commission and then split some of that commission with you. If you’re new to shopping portals, you can learn how they work here.
From the image above, we can see that TopCashBack gives you 2% for all purchases made on Raise. Click here to sign-up for a TopCashBack account. After creating an account, log-in and type in “Raise” in the search bar and click on the “Cashback” button. This will redirect you to the Raise website.
Select the card you want to buy and go through the purchasing process. Make sure to use your cash back credit card that we mentioned in step 1 to get an additional 2% off.
Gift cards purchased from Raise are sent to your inbox within 24 hours. Simply print it out and hand it to the cashier to claim your card. Let’s do a quick recap of the cash back saved in this step:
- Purchasing a gift card through Raise – 6%
- Going through TopCashBack to make the Raise purchase – 2%
- Using a cash back credit card when you type in your payment information – 2%
So far we’ve saved a total of 10% on all Lowe’s purchases! That means for the $1,000 dollar lawnmower we mentioned in the introduction, we’ve already taken off $100 dollars. Yet we aren’t done yet. We can double our cash back and get another 10% off by following step 4.
Wondering how I found out the best website to purchase a gift card and the best shopping portal to use? You can read the article I wrote on how to get the most cash back for every purchase.
4. Get A Lowe’s Mover’s Coupon – 10% Discount
Update: Lowe’s may no longer accept this coupon.
We can add an additional 10% off our purchase when we use a mover’s coupon. All you have to do is go to the post office and ask for a change of address form. They’ll give you a small packet that has various coupons inside from different retailers. One of those coupons is a 10% discount at anything you purchase at Lowe’s.
This coupon can only be used on in-store purchases. You can apply for a mover’s packet online, but it will cost you $1. It’s just easier to go to the post office and ask for one.
Let’s Do A Recap
We went through a lot of steps just now, so let’s do a quick recap of everything we went through and how much we saved.
- Get a cash back credit card. We recommend the Citi Double Cash Card. Using this card when purchasing our Lowe’s gift card gave us a 2% cash back.
- Go to Raise to purchase Lowe’s gift cards. We found out that if we purchase a gift card through Raise we can add an additional 6% off of our purchase price by using a gift card to make a purchase. Don’t make this purchase just yet! We have to go through a portal first.
- Go through TopCashBack. Before you purchase that Raise gift card, go through TopCashBack to save 2% on all purchases at Raise.
- Get a mover’s coupon. Go to your local post office and ask for a change of address form. Inside the packet they hand you will be a coupon for 10% off purchases made at Lowe’s.
- Make the purchase. Go to Lowe’s and hand the gift card and the 10% mover’s coupon to the cashier when checking out.
Adding these numbers all up, we calculate that we can save a total of 20% on all Lowe’s purchases.
This brings out $1,000 dollar lawnmower down to $800 dollars, saving us a total of $200 dollars. That’s not a bad deal for doing a little bit of legwork.
While the steps outlined in this article may sound a bit complex, once you get used to it you’ll easily be doing them in under 3 minutes. I don’t always shop at Lowe’s because they usually have a higher price than a lot of their competitors. Yet when I find a good deal, I know that I can make it sweeter by getting 20% cash back on my purchase.
Remember that for this method to work it must be made on in-store purchases since the gift card and the mover’s coupon can’t be used online. If you really want to make an online purchase, you can still use an online shopping portal and save anywhere from 4% – 7%.
If you have any questions about the steps above, please leave them in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy frugaling!