WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- Vindale Research: One of the best survey sites on the web. Earn up to $50 per survey. Join Vindale Research Now & Get a $1 Bonus
- Ibotta: Earn cash back when you take pictures of receipts and shop online. Get a $10 bonus when you sign-up using our link and claim your first offer. Join Ibotta Now to Get $10
Online tutoring jobs are becoming very popular, and it’s easy to see why. As a work from home tutor, your hours are pretty flexible.
Full-time and part-time work is readily available. Many tutoring jobs pay a good hourly wage, so they’re a great opportunity to make money online.
In this post, you’ll learn about 12 different online tutoring jobs. Some of them require teaching experience, but others have pretty simple qualifications.
For each opportunity, you’ll learn a bit about the company, their requirements, and their pay. Read on to find the best online tutoring jobs for you.
VIPKID hires tutors to teach English to Chinese school-aged children.
This gig stands for many reasons. You don’t need to know Chinese to get hired, the hourly pay is competitive, and the scheduling is easy to work with.
Many VIPKID tutors work only 3-5 hours per day, and they earn as much as they would at a part-time job. The highest earning tutors make close to $2,000 per month.
Over 20,000 tutors work for VIPKID, so it’s clearly a popular choice. All of your lessons are one-on-one, and they only last 25 minutes.
The company has been covered by Forbes, CNN, Wall Street Journal, and other media outlets. For more details, read our Frugal For Less VIPKID review.
VIPKID Tutor Requirements
VIPKID doesn’t require you to have an English degree, but you do need some formal education. These are the general qualifications:
- Any type of teaching experience such as mentoring, tutoring, or coaching.
- A Bachelor’s degree in any field.
- Eligibility to work in the U.S. or Canada.
You’ll also need to pass an interview process, and you’ll present a mock tutoring session. These are two big factors that determine how much you’ll earn.
VIPKID Tutor Pay
VIPKID tutors earn between $14 to $22 per hour. The base pay is $14 to $18 per hour. Bonus incentives based on your performance can boost your hourly pay. VIPKID pays once per month through direct deposit.
Chegg was formerly called InstaEDU, and they’re another popular choice for online tutoring. The service hires tutors to help students in several different subjects.
The subject you’ll cover is based on your experience. Tutoring sessions are performed via text chat, video chat, and other platforms.
Chegg tutor reviews say that the platform is user-friendly, pay is competitive, and the hours are flexible.
According to the company, the top 5% of tutors earn $1,000 per month. Learn more about the perks of this gig by reading our Frugal For Less Chegg tutors review.
Chegg Tutor Requirements
Chegg is another tutoring company that doesn’t require you to have a specific degree. However, you do need formal education and more. The qualifications include:
- A degree or current enrollment in a four-year university.
- Two forms of school verification.
- Ability to show your proficiency in tutoring different subjects.
- Prior teaching experience is preferred but not mandatory.
Chegg also notes that you can submit a short introductory video with your application. Many reviews strongly recommend doing this to boost your chances of getting hired.
Chegg Tutor Pay
Chegg tutors are paid $20 per hour. Tutors are paid an hourly wage for the exact number of minutes they work. For example, you’d earn $11.67 for a 35-minute tutoring session. Chegg pays weekly via PayPal.
Tutor.com offers tutoring services to students from kindergarten through college. They cover dozens of different school subjects, so you can explore options that suit you.
The Tutor.com platform uses video chat, voice chat, and an interactive whiteboard. Students can log in to lessons 24/7, so the tutoring hours are very flexible.
You can create a weekly schedule or simply log in to work whenever you want.
Tutor.com Tutor Requirements
Tutor.com hires tutors that have a college sophomore education or higher. Certain subjects require tutors to have a college degree, but overall they welcome a broad variety of applicants. You can apply if you are:
- A U.S. or Canadian resident with a valid SSN or SIN.
- Eligible to work in the U.S. or Canada.
- Available to tutor at least five hours per week.
- An expert in the subjects you want to tutor.
- Fluent in English with strong oral and written communication skills.
After you apply, you’ll take a subject exam in the area(s) you want to tutor. Then you’ll need to complete a mock tutoring session and pass a background check. The entire process will take about 1-3 weeks total.
Tutor.com Tutor Pay
Tutor.com pays an hourly rate based on the subject you tutor. Indeed.com statistics show that Tutor.com pays an average of $12.15 per hour, and the highest earners are paid $30.10 per hour.
Glassdoor.com show earnings that average $11 to $14 per hour, and the highest earners make $19 to $21 per hour.
Cambly is a unique platform that hires English tutors to chat with international students. As a tutor, you simply talk with students one-on-one in conversational English. Sessions take place through video chat, and they can be done on your computer or smartphone. Tutors are hired almost instantly, and the gig is extremely flexible. Read our Frugal For Less Cambly review to find tips and more info.
Cambly Tutor Requirements
Cambly openly states that no experience is necessary to get hired. There are no specific requirements to meet aside from being a native English speaker. Overall, these are the steps you take to start tutoring:
- Click ‘Get Started’ on the Cambly page linked above.
- Complete the short and simple application.
- Record a sample video for students to view.
- Fill out your tutor profile.
Once you’re approved, you can instantly start accepting chat sessions. Your schedule is 100% flexible; just start taking calls whenever you want.
You’re paid per minute, and Cambly automatically tracks your talk time for you.
Cambly Tutor Pay
Cambly pays a flat rate of $0.17 per minute, and that equates to $10.20 per hour. Tutors are paid weekly on Mondays through PayPal.
About Revolution Prep
Revolution Prep hires experienced and professional tutors to work full-time (about 30 hours per week). The company pays extremely well and offers full benefits.
The hours are less flexible than other tutoring gigs. According to some reviews, Revolution Prep only hires 2.2 percent of applicants.
If you’re looking for a traditional and serious tutoring job, this may be ideal for you.
Revolution Prep Tutor Requirements
There are many requirements to meet in order to be considered for this position. The link above provides a full list, and the major highlights are below. To qualify for Revolution Prep, you must have:
- 35 hours of availability per week.
- Availability on both weekdays and weekends.
- Previous teaching experience.
- Familiarity with creating lesson plans.
- A Bachelor’s degree and an advanced degree is preferred.
- The ability to commit to one year of full-time employment.
- A professional and quiet work setting with high-speed Internet access.
When you apply, you’ll need to submit your resume in PDF format. You can also apply through LinkedIn.
Revolution Prep Tutor Pay
Revolution Prep pays first-year employees $25 to $30 per hour. This includes bonuses you may receive. Tutors also receive a comprehensive benefits package.
Brainfuse is a tutoring platform that primarily offers services to adult students. They also provide test preparation services for K-12 students.
The company promotes a customized and in-depth learning experience. The website doesn’t offer much information about the tutoring gig itself.
There are many Brainfuse tutor reviews that confirm this is a legit job that pays hourly.
Brainfuse Tutor Requirements
Brainfuse doesn’t list info outright on their website. To get information directly from the company, you’ll need to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest.
However, online reviews from current and former Brainfuse tutors provide helpful info. These are the requirements commonly mentioned in reviews:
- A Bachelor’s degree – teaching degrees are preferred but not required.
- Past tutoring or teaching experience.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Professional references for Brainfuse to contact.
- Successful completion of training tests.
Reviews generally mention that you work a flexible schedule without hourly limits. The subjects you tutor are based on your experience.
Brainfuse Tutor Pay
Tutors are reportedly paid monthly via direct deposit.
7. Elevate K-12
About Elevate K-12
Elevate K-12 hires tutors to cover a variety of primary and secondary school subjects. This opportunity offers part-time hours, so it’s ideal for some supplemental income.
Tutors complete an average of 2-3 online lessons per week. The company matches tutors with students to work together on a long-term basis. Over 250 tutors work for Elevate K-12 as independent contractors.
Elevate K-12 Tutor Requirements
The tutor requirements for this gig are fairly simple overall. The qualifications listed below are based on the Elevate K-12 career site and third-party reviews. You need to have:
- At least one year of prior teaching or tutoring experience.
- A Bachelor’s degree or you may be currently pursuing a teaching degree.
- The ability to commit to working hours between 8 AM and 5 PM PST.
- The ability to work a set schedule.
- The ability to communicate with school managers and academic progress managers.
If you’re hired, you are provided training and pre-written curriculums to use. You won’t have to create your own tutoring content for students.
Elevate K-12 Tutor Pay
A current Elevate K-12 job listing says pay ranges from $12 to $15 per hour.
Exact hourly pay seems to depend on the subject being taught.
MathElf offers math tutoring services to K-12 students and college students. The company has worked with over 46,000 students to date.
As a MathElf tutor, you choose the math-related subjects you’re most experienced in. This is a part-time position, and you work with 100% flexibility.
The pay is fairly competitive, too. The top tutors earn over $1,900 per month.
MathElf Tutor Requirements
MathElf hires U.S. and international tutors, and they thoroughly cover requirements on their website. You can find all of the details on their FAQ page. The major requirements are highlighted below. You need:
- At least one year of math teaching or math tutoring experience.
- Verbal and written English fluency.
- A fast and reliable Internet connection.
- An iPad running iOS 11.
- To submit a tutor application video.
- To pass a background check.
You’ll hear back about your application in 1-2 business days. If you’re accepted, you’ll receive brief training before you begin tutoring.
MathElf Tutor Pay
MathElf pays tutors $20 per hour. The company states that tutors earn an average of $270 per month. Payments are made weekly through PayPal.
Skooli is a tutoring company that hires experienced teaching professionals. Tutors cover a broad variety of subjects for students of all ages.
The online platform simulates a real classroom through video conferencing, text chat, screen sharing, an interactive whiteboard, Google Drive, and more.
There are no time commitments to meet, so the gig is totally based on your availability.
Skooli Tutor Requirements
Skooli covers their requirements on the registration page and in their FAQ section. There isn’t a lot of detail provided – it seems you just need to have teaching certifications. To get hired, you need to:
- Be a certified teacher in North America or a tutor with ESL and TOEFL certifications.
- Register and apply using Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+.
- Have a valid PayPal account to receive payments.
- Pass a criminal record check.
If you’re accepted, you’ll receive preparation help from a Skooli tutor to get ready for your first lesson. You’ll also need to fill out your profile to properly match with students in your areas of expertise. Your profile will include your availability.
Skooli Tutor Pay
Skooli pays tutors a flat rate of $25 per hour. Payments are made via PayPal once tutors earn $100 or more. Tutors receive payment by clicking the “request payout” link on their dashboard.
Qkids is a tutoring system that’s fairly similar to VIPKID. Tutors from the U.S. and Canada are hired to teach English to Chinese students 5-12 years of age.
Knowledge of Chinese language isn’t required. Tutors work on a part-time basis ranging from about 6-19 hours per week.
Each tutoring session is 30 minutes long, and scheduling is pretty flexible. All curriculum and coursework are preset by Qkids.
Qkids Tutor Requirements
Qkids lists pretty simple requirements on their application page. Third-party reviews also offer helpful information, and highlights from all sources are below. To qualify for Qkids, you need:
- A university degree or current enrollment in a university program.
- To reside in the U.S. or Canada.
- To be a native fluency English speaker.
- Availability to teach at least six hours per week.
- Digital literacy, an outgoing personality, and a passion for teaching.
- Availability to work in 30-minute time slots.
Experience with teaching or early childhood education is preferred but not required. If you’re accepted, you’ll complete paid training followed by orientation.
Qkids Tutor Pay
Qkids states that tutors are paid $16 to $20 per hour. Indeed.com data shows that tutors report average earnings of $17.37 per hour.
Glassdoor.com reviews show earnings ranging between $15 to $19 per hour. Tutors can also earn bonuses. Payments are made monthly via direct deposit.
11. Rosetta Stone
About Rosetta Stone
Rosetta Stone has a longstanding history of offering language learning resources.
Many of their foreign language courses are software-based, but the reputable company also hires online English language tutors. Tutors work with beginner, intermediate, and advanced language students.
This part-time position allows tutors to work on a flexible basis. The requirements aren’t too strict and pay is reportedly competitive.
Rosetta Stone Tutor Requirements
You don’t need a ton of specific experience to apply for this position. There are some educational and technical requirements. The main qualifications are highlighted below. Rosetta Stone seeks applicants that:
- Are native English speakers.
- Are seeking a flexible schedule of about 10 to 12 hours per week.
- Have a Bachelor’s degree.
- Have teaching experience – preferred but not required.
- Are highly proficient with computers, online platforms, and Internet technology.
- Have the ability to adapt content to cater to each client.
- Are available on weekdays and weekends.
- Meet location criteria mentioned in current job listings.
You can apply through the website linked above. You’ll need to provide a resume or access to your LinkedIn page to showcase your experience.
Rosetta Stone Tutor Pay
According to Indeed.com, Rosetta Stone tutors earn an average of $15 per hour. Third-party reviews report earnings of $14 to $16 per hour.
Student-Tutor provides SAT prep, ACT prep, and general tutoring to 6th through 12th-grade students. Some general tutoring services are also offered to elementary school students.
Student-Tutor states that scheduling is flexible. Additionally, the requirements are pretty straightforward. The exact hours you can work are not disclosed, but this appears to be a part-time gig.
Student-Tutor Tutor Requirements
Student-Tutor doesn’t list highly specific educational requirements. However, some college education and experience are necessary. According to the hiring page, you need to:
- Be a current college student or recent graduate with a GPA of 3.0 or higher OR
- Be a new teacher looking for supplemental work.
- Have previous in-person or online tutoring experience with 6th through 12th-grade students.
- Have the ability to pass a background check.
- SAT tutors must have a minimum 700 score per section, and ACT tutors must have a minimum 30 score per section.
- Have strong math skills and the ability to explain difficult concepts to students.
If you’re hired, you have direct guidance and communication with a team leader and academic advisor. You’re provided with all of the necessary tools and resources to tutor students.
Student-Tutor Tutor Pay
Pay rates are not disclosed on the Student-Tutor website. Third-party reviews state that general academic tutors earn $16 per hour. SAT and ACT prep tutors reportedly earn $23 per hour.
More Online Jobs That Pay Hourly
Tutoring is definitely a solid pick if you want a legitimate part-time or full-time job from home. But if teaching doesn’t suit you, you’re not out of luck.
There are many more online jobs that pay well. Check out these Frugal For Less posts for great examples:
- 10 Virtual Assistant Jobs That Pay Well: Earn Up To $20/Hour
- 34 Companies That Allow You To Make Money Online Part-Time
- 10 Best Data Entry Jobs From Home
- 35 Work From Home Gigs That Pay Weekly Or Daily
- 11 Legitimate Work From Home Jobs
There you have it – instant access to 100 different ways to make money from home. With the information you read, it’s easy to find a gig that’s perfect for you.