WANT TO EARN EXTRA MONEY?
- Survey Junkie: Earn up to $50 per survey with one of the highest-paying survey sites on the web. Join Survey Junkie Now
- Swagbucks: Make money watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Bonus
- LifePoints: Quickly becomming one of the best survey sites and apps out there. Earn up to $10 per survey in a short amount of time. Join LifePoints Now to Get a 10 Point Bonus
- MobileXpression: Earn free money (passive income) just by leaving an app installed on your phone. Join MobileXpression Now & Get a Free Gift Card in One Week
When it comes to making great money online, it doesn’t get any better than VIPKID.
They guarantee that you’ll earn anywhere between $14 – $22 per hour teaching English online to Chinese students.
Most teachers are making close to $2,000 per month, and this is only after teaching 3 – 5 hours per day.
The best part? As long as you have a computer, you can work from anywhere and get paid. In this VIPKID review, we’ll cover the following:
- What VIPKID is
- Requirements to join
- Application and interview process
- How much you can earn
- Tips and tricks when working for VIPKID
With that said, let’s get started.
- Direct Link to VIPKID
What Is VIPKID?
VIPKID is a web-based education company that connects Chinese students ages 4 to 12 with English tutors. Each student receives one on one lessons from experienced educators.
The classes take place online using webcams and headsets, and each lesson lasts for 25 minutes.
VIPKID was founded in 2013 by Cindy Mi, and it has grown significantly since then.
The company has several reputable investors that have contributed to the program’s expansion. VIPKID has been featured in Forbes, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, and other print media.
They’ve also been a hot topic on CNBC, CCTV, ESPN, Bloomberg Television, and more.
As of 2017, VIPKID reports that more than 20,000 teachers work for the company. Additionally, over 500,000 Chinese elementary aged students are signed up and 100,000 are currently active.
The company mentions how the program benefits both the teachers and students. Students learn English and about North American culture, and teachers get a unique insight into Chinese culture.
What Requirements Are There To Join VIPKID?
To work for VIPKID, you need to meet all of their criteria. These requirements are discussed in the Getting Started section of their website. I’ve listed each requirement below so you can quickly see if you qualify:
- Any “formal” or “informal” teaching experience such as mentoring, tutoring, coaching or alternative education
- Eligibility to work in the US or Canada with native accent (no change)
- Bachelor’s degree in any field (no change)
As long as you meet these requirements, you’re an eligible candidate. If you have questions about your eligibility, you can contact VIPKID at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VIPKID Application and Interview Process
To begin the application, visit this page first. You’ll need to provide your e-mail address, password, a verification code (CAPTCHA), and a referral code if applicable. According to numerous sources, you then submit your resume and fill out an application form.
You may also be asked to provide any relevant documents – i.e. teaching certificates, identity verification, and so on. After you finish your application, you wait to hear from VIPKID via e-mail about an interview.
The Getting Started page provides details about the interview. Here is an essential breakdown of the interview process:
- Initial Interview – You have two options for the initial interview process. You can do a 30-minute one on one interview with a VIPKID recruiter. During this interview, you’ll be asked to present your teaching skills. Alternatively, you can record a demonstration for a VIPKID recruiter to evaluate.
- Video Introduction To VIPKID – You will watch an undisclosed number of videos that cover the VIPKID curriculum, teaching standards, and more.
- Host A Mock Class – You will teach a full-length (25 minutes) mock class for a current VIPKID teacher. Your pay is partially based on how well you perform during your mock class.
- Signing Contracts And Documents – You’ll sign any necessary contracts and documents. You’ll also provide details so that VIPKID can create a teacher profile for you. This profile is for parents and their students to view.
- Choose Your Availability – Provide details about which time slots you are available to teach. You need to be available for 15 time slots per week. You can view specific information about time slots and peak teaching hours here. VIPKID requests that you teach a minimum of 7.5 hours per week.
Once you’ve completed this process, you can begin teaching! Students can view your profile, select you for lessons, and you start getting paid to teach for VIPKID.
What’s It Like Working For VIPKID?
o get a firsthand look at working for VIPKID, read their blog. The most recent post is from a teacher who shares her year of experience as a VIPKID teacher. There are several other interesting and informative entries, too. I’ve collected several details about working for VIPKID from the Becoming a Teacher and Bookings section. These are some primary highlights from both of those sections:
- Each class is 25 minutes long but they require a 30-minute commitment. This allows time for teachers to spend about five minutes leaving comments and feedback.
- You submit your teaching availability one month in advance. You receive your schedule every Saturday at 10 AM Beijing Time. 10 AM Beijing time on Saturday is 9 PM Central Time on Friday in America.
- You can choose from different time slots during peak Beijing hours. Those time slots are available toward the bottom of this page.
- You can preview VIPKID teaching materials 6-12 hours in advance. This gives you time to review materials and plan ahead a bit for each lesson.
- You will not teach the same student(s) each lesson. Any student can book your class, so it will vary.
- Classes take place over the VIPKID educational program. You don’t need to download Skype or similar programs to teach classes.
In the Review section below, I’ll include links to blogs from VIPKID teachers. Read these blogs for additional insight into what it’s like to teach a class. And once again, you can e-mail email@example.com if you have any questions about working for VIPKID.
How Much Can I Get Paid With VIPKID?
On the Opportunity page, VIPKID states that teachers are paid between $14 and $22 per hour.
The minimum earnings are $14 to $18 per hour. Your minimum hourly wage is determined by your experience and your performance during the demo lesson.
There are also two incentives that allow you to earn up to $2 more per hour for each incentive. The Participation Incentive is paid when you adhere to your schedule and the lesson requirements.
The Finished Class Incentive is based on how many lessons you complete each month. You can read more about incentives under the first question on the Payment page.
Payment is based on every 30-minute class that you teach. That means your minimum payment is $7 to $9 per 30-minute class. The incentive payments are up to $1 per 30-minute class.
Teachers are paid once per month between the 10th and 15th. Payment is made via direct deposit into your bank account.
Reviews From VIPKID Teachers
You’re likely curious to hear about the experiences of other VIPKID teachers. I’ve collected feedback from employment websites, blog posts, forums, and other sources. Below are some statistics, pros, cons, and more.
- VIPKID Teacher Statistics From Indeed.com –
- VIPKID receives a rating of 4.0 out of five stars. This is based on 61 teacher reviews. The majority of reviews are 5-stars.
- Work/life balance receive an average of 4.3 stars.
- Compensation and benefits receive an average of 3.7 stars.
- Job security and advancements receive an average of 3.4 stars.
- Management receive an average of 3.8 stars.
- Culture receive an average of 3.9 stars.
- The average reported teacher salary is $18.75 per hour to $19.75 per hour. This average is based on 846 teacher reports.
- 87% of teachers report that they are paid fairly by VIPKID. This percentage is based on 33 teacher reviews.
- VIPKID Teacher Reviews From Indeed.com –
- Many reviews list good compensation as the main benefit.
- Many reviews also list flexibility and the ability to work from home as primary benefits.
- Some reviews list communication issues as a downside. These communication issues are based on time differences and language barriers.
- Teachers report that it can take awhile to get initial bookings.
- Some reviews list the lack of benefits as a downside. However, this is the nature of most self-employment gigs.
- Teachers report that students are polite, eager, and pleasant to work with.
- The potential for monthly bonuses is a popular “pro”. As mentioned in the Payment Information section, teachers have the potential to earn $4 more per hour with bonuses.
- Working early morning hours is viewed as both a pro and con. To meet Beijing peak hours, it’s common for teachers to start working at 5 AM or 6 AM local time.
- Several reviews list pre-made lesson plans as a benefit. Teachers only have to review lessons in advance versus taking time to create them.
- One review mentions being penalized for canceling classes as a downside.
- A handful of reviews lists technical problems as a con. They don’t go into specifics, but it is worth mentioning.
- VIPKID Teacher Statistics From Glassdoor.com –
- VIPKID has an average rating of 4.0 out of five stars from employees.
- Culture and values receive an average 4.0-star rating.
- Work/life balance receive an average 4.2-star rating.
- Senior management receive an average 3.9-star rating.
- Compensation and benefits receive an average 3.8-star rating.
- Career opportunities receive an average 3.7-star rating.
- 80% of employees would recommend VIPKID to a friend.
- 87% of employees approve of the company’s CEO.
- Teachers report an average hourly wage of $17.48 to $17.95 per hour. This is based on 85 reports.
- Many positive reviews cite working from home and flexible schedules as benefits.
- Some reviews mention it’s difficult to get booked when you first begin.
- Teachers consistently state that students are positive and friendly.
- One consistent downside mentioned is the strict cancellation policy.
- Another common downside listed is the early morning work hours. However, some teachers view this as a benefit.
- VIPKid Review – The Honest Truth – This review is written by a VIPKID teacher and blogger named Ashley. She says it’s realistic to expect earnings of $15 to $20 per hour; she earns $19 per hour. As for the job itself, Ashley says that it’s fairly simple. She also mentions that there’s a large Facebook/online community where VIPKID teachers connect. Her pros and cons are essentially the same ones mentioned on Indeed and Glassdoor. Two additional cons she mentions is that instructions can sometimes be unclear and younger students have difficulty focusing. Overall, she gives the job very positive feedback and enjoys it.
- Can I Make Money Quickly Teaching ESL Online? – This review is written by Laura, a blogger, mother, and VIPKID teacher. She enjoys the early work hours because they allow her to teach before her children wake up. Laura mentions that the training is extensive and helpful, but the time for training is limited. As for pay, she says expect to earn between $15 and $18 your first month. After that, $19 per hour seems to be the norm. Laura’s review summary states that she considers the job a positive challenge and enjoys it.
Overall, the reviews from VIPKID teachers are pretty positive. They enjoy the flexible job and the pay that it offers. Downsides are mentioned here and there, and that’s to be expected.
It’s worth considering all of the pros and cons if this position interests you. Use the links in this review section to see more feedback. You may discover that working for VIPKID is a good fit for you.
Tips For Applying and Working For VIPKID
While researching this post, I found great tips for VIPKID teacher applicants. Many of these ideas were written by experienced VIPKID tutors. Additionally, I’ve included some self-employment information and other general suggestions. Consider the following info to make the most of applying and working for VIPKID.
- Watch YouTube videos from experienced VIPKID teacher. Working at VIPKID Tips & Tricks is one popular guide with over 50,000 views. When you click the link, you’ll see several more VIPKID teacher videos in the sidebar.
- Read this interview with a VIPKID teacher. The answers to questions 2, 3, and 7 are particularly informative. They offer tips and feedback for new and aspiring VIPKID educators.
- Make your teaching resume stand out from the crowd. This Monster.com article offers excellent tips for creating an educator’s resume. You can also view a sample resume at the bottom of the article.
- During your interview, keep in mind that you’ll be working with young children. Present yourself as you would to your students. Be bright, cheery, and eager to learn and offer information. When you show that you fit the role, you can increase your chances of landing the job.
- As of 2017, 15.3% is the self-employment tax rate. Keep this in mind as you earn money. It’s typically recommended that you set aside money each month for taxes. Paying quarterly taxes is also common for self-employed individuals.
- Since you’ll be a language teacher, focus on enunciation and clarity. You don’t have to know any Chinese to land this job. However, speaking clear and concise English that children can understand is crucial. Make sure to do this during the entire interview process.
These tips are pretty simple and straightforward, but they’ll make a big difference. As a web-based teacher, your presence and attitude go a long way. It’s also important to understand taxes to ensure you’re meeting your financial goals.
Spend some time viewing YouTube videos to see exactly how you can nail your interview and succeed at this job.
Overall, VIPKID is a viable part-time job that’s convenient and flexible. At a bare minimum, you’ll earn $105 per week working 7.5 hours. The average wage is even higher, so your earning potential is unlimited.
Use the information above and the resources in this post to get started. You can apply for VIPKID whenever you’re ready!
We’ve covered several other unique income opportunities. Many of them offer lots of freedom and an impressive hourly wage.
A few great examples include Guide To Making A Full-Time Income On Upwork, 25+ Survey Sites That Will Make You $600/Month Or More, and 33 Companies That Will Allow You To Make Money Online Part-Time. Check out these posts to explore the numerous ways you can make money online.