There’s no doubt that many legitimate work online gigs are available. The tricky part is finding opportunities that pay well. One popular option for earning extra money online is being an online tutor.
This job allows you to help others with their education while you earn an hourly wage.
Chegg Tutors is one very well-known option for online tutoring. They quickly grab attention due to their impressive hourly wage. But is this gig really all it’s cracked up to be?
I’ve covered all of the bases in my Chegg Tutors review. If you’re interested in becoming an online tutor, this post is for you.
About Chegg Tutors
Chegg Tutors was formerly known as InstaEDU. The company launched their InstaEDU online tutoring service in 2012, and it quickly gained popularity. Chegg Tutors bought InstaEDU in 2014, and the services offered by both companies were combined.
Chegg Tutors is designed to offer students of all ages convenient online tutoring services. Students can pick their tutors based on tutor profiles. Sessions are available via text chat, video chat, whiteboard, and many other options. Tutoring sessions are even mobile-friendly.
The service is equally beneficial and user-friendly for tutors. Chegg Tutors has an overall positive reputation for the work-from-home opportunities they offer. In this post, I’ll discuss the benefits for tutors – pay, flexibility, and much more. Read on to see if this gig is right for you.
Chegg Tutors Pros and Cons
With every work from home job, there are pros and cons to consider. Chegg Tutors is no exception, so I collected as much information as I could.
This feedback comes from info about the program, tutor reviews, job websites, and more. Read my Chegg Tutors pros and cons list for a quick, unbiased look at this opportunity:
- Tutors are paid $20 per hour.
- Approval is fairly easy if you meet the qualifications.
- You get to work 100% from home.
- You get to set your own flexible schedule.
- You can earn referral bonuses.
- You can choose to tutor subjects that you’re good at.
- You don’t have to meet any hourly requirements.
- The top five percent of tutors earn $1,000 per month.
- You can appeal ratings if you believe they’re unfair.
- Many tutors use Chegg Tutors, so there’s a lot of competition.
- Work may be slow during certain days and times of the year.
- There is no opportunity for promotions.
- You have to build a reputation as a reliable, high-quality tutor.
- Feedback left by students can hurt your ratings.
- Chegg Tutors does not accept reapplications, so you only have one chance to qualify.
Based on this information, I conclude that the pros definitely outweigh the cons. There tends to be competition or slow seasons with most online jobs. It’s simply the nature of the game. Their standards seem to be a bit higher than other opportunities, too.
However, Chegg Tutors offers an impressive hourly wage. There are no minimum requirements for hours, and you can tutor whenever you want.
This type of flexibility is great for those who want to make extra money from home. Chegg Tutors offers a pretty solid opportunity that’s worth considering.
Chegg Tutors Qualifications
Before I go into more details about the job, I’ll go over the qualifications. You’ll need to meet every qualification in order to become a tutor.
Providing false info can get your account banned. It’s best to sign up only if you can check off every box on this list. This information can also be found in the Chegg Help portal.
- You need to sign up via Facebook or e-mail to complete an application.
- You must have a degree from a four-year university. You may also be currently enrolled in a four-year degree program.
- You will need to provide two forms of school verification. Some examples include a copy of your diploma and your student ID.
- If you sign up using your e-mail, you’ll need to provide further verification. You’ll have to take a clear selfie holding a government-issued ID.
- In some cases, you may have to take a subject test to show your proficiency. This is based on the areas of expertise that you choose.
You can also record and submit a short intro video. This isn’t a requirement, but it may help your application stand out.
Many user reviews say that the approval process seems easier if you sign up using Facebook versus your e-mail address. According to Chegg Tutors, it takes about one week to get approved.
Some tutors report longer approval periods during the slow seasons.
The requirements listed above are pretty standard for online tutoring jobs. But if you don’t qualify, don’t worry too much. Toward the end of this post, I’ll list additional opportunities that may be the perfect fit for you.
Chegg Tutors Application And Application Tips
Start the application process by visiting this page. You’ll need to follow all of the verification steps mentioned in the section above. Additional application information isn’t disclosed.
Fortunately, I found some great feedback about the application from current and former tutors. Keep in mind this isn’t information straight from the Chegg Tutors website. Still, it may help you prepare for applying.
- You’ll write a summary of why you’re qualified to be a tutor.
- You can select up to 40 subjects you’d like to tutor in. Don’t forget that you may have to prove you’re knowledgeable about the subjects you pick.
- Preference may be given to applicants with teaching experience. Make sure to list any experience you have with tutoring or teaching.
- Chegg seems to favor clear, concise answers. Keep your application answers short but informational. And of course, always double check your spelling and grammar.
- Some applicants recommend submitting your SAT and ACT scores. If you scored well and have transcripts available, include them in your application.
Keep these tips in mind if you decide to apply for Chegg Tutors. As I mentioned before, you only get one opportunity to apply. Increase your chances of approval by being as thorough and professional as possible.
How Much Do Chegg Tutors Earn?
Chegg Tutors earn $20 per hour, which really makes this opportunity stand out. As a tutor, you’re paid the hourly wage for time spent in a lesson with a student and/or time spent writing a student’s lesson plan.
Tutors are paid the hourly rate based on the exact number of hours they worked. For example, you’ll earn $9.33 for completing a 28-minute tutoring session.
Chegg Tutors pays for a minimum lesson length of 5 minutes. That means you’ll always make at least $1.67 even for 0-5 minutes of work. When determining these numbers, I found this hourly calculator to be helpful. You may want to use it to gauge how much you can earn.
As a tutor, you are paid weekly via PayPal every Thursday morning. Payments are sent automatically, and Chegg Tutors operates on Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).
Your weekly payment will cover lessons you’ve completed between Wednesday at 7:05 AM PDT of last week and Wednesday at 7:05 AM PDT of the current week.
How To Boost Your Earnings
During my research, I discovered that you can earn bonuses through Chegg Tutors. I also read some helpful tips on how to maximize your earnings. Here’s a quick list of the info and numbers that I found:
- The Become A Tutor page states that you can earn subject bonuses for tutoring subjects that are in high demand. The bonus amount isn’t disclosed on this page.
- You can earn a $10 bonus each time you refer a tutor. You’ll receive the bonus once your referral is approved and completes their first lesson with a positive review.
- Be available during midterm and final exam periods. Several tutors mention that this is when they earn the most money. In general, midterms take place in October and March. Finals usually take place in December and May.
- Check to make sure your “available now” status is on. This shows students that you’re ready to help them, so they’re more likely to contact you.
- Boost your tutor stats by being responsive. Your response time and likelihood of response factor into your ratings. Take time to answer students whenever possible.
These tips can help you make as much money as possible. Lastly, be patient and give it some time. Legit online money making opportunities require focus and dedication. Commit to becoming a high-quality tutor to boost your earnings.
More Opportunities For Online Tutoring
Chegg Tutors certainly stands out from the crowd, but there are many other online tutoring and teaching jobs to consider. I’ve compiled a list of gigs that have good reputations. You’ll find a bit of info about each one, and links to each website to learn more.
- VIPKID – VIPKID hires tutors to teach English to Chinese students ages 4 through 12. You don’t need to speak Chinese at all, but you do need teaching experience. VIPKID tutors earn $14 to $22 per hour, and there are various bonus opportunities. Read my full VIPKID review for more info.
- Kaplan – Kaplan hires instructors to cover a large variety of different subjects. This is more of a traditional job than other flexible tutoring opportunities. Sources say that payment for Kaplan instructors starts at around $21 per hour. Depending on what you teach, pay can go up to $25 per hour or more.
- Tutor.com – Tutor.com hires online tutors for a variety of different subject. Most sources state that tutors earn $9 to $13 per hour for this gig. The requirements are more flexible than Chegg Tutors.
- Revolution Prep – Revolution Prep is fairly similar to Chegg Tutors. They offer students a wide range of teaching services. Tutors work from home and schedule sessions with students. Sources report payment of $20 to $25 per hour.
- Varsity Tutors – The Varsity Tutors website says they offer great pay, flexible hours, and a large client base. The application takes an average of three minutes to complete. You can see a list of example tutoring jobs on the application page. According to Indeed.com, Varsity Tutors pays an average of $19.94 per hour. Reported wages range between $10 and $33.20 per hour.
The hourly pay and requirements vary for each site. If you don’t qualify for Chegg, you may still land a solid tutoring gig through one of these companies. And these are just a few of the many options you have.
Read our post 10 Part-Time Online Teaching Jobs For A Great Side Hustle for more leads and helpful information.
Chegg Tutors Review: Final Thoughts
Overall, I believe Chegg Tutors is a great way to make part-time income from home. This is a good fit for college students, stay at home moms, and anyone else with a four-year college degree.
If you end up enjoying online tutoring, you can boost your earnings by using multiple sites. There are so many more flexible ways to make extra money online. Check out our posts for some great examples: